Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds stats through 130 games

Reds stats through 130 games

Reds go 5-5 for the fourth consecutive time. So team has been exactly at .500 over the last 40 games. Reds are 34-30 at home and 30-36 on the road. Reds are 22-28 in one run games. Reds are 7-5 in extra innings games. Reds are 24-23 in day games, 40-43 in night games. Reds are 33-27 against NL Central opponents. 17-12 against NL West opponents. But 8-15 against NL East opponents and 6-12 against interleague opponents.

Reds trail the first place Brewers by 13 games. Reds only trail second place Cards by 3 games. Reds 2.5 games ahead of Pirates. Reds overall record is 64-66. Reds RS/RA is plus 44. Brewers are plus 54. Cards are plus 36. Top teams in baseball in RS/RA are Yankees plus 185, Phils plus 158, Red Sox plus 157, Rangers plus 101, Braves plus 70. Then come the NL Central teams.

Offense - Reds OPS is at .739, fourth in NL, slightly down from last time. Since the All-Star Break, the Reds team OPS is .749, fifth in the NL. Pre- All Star Break the Reds team OPS was .735, fourth in NL. While Reds OPS is higher since the Break, the NL OPS is generally much higher since the Break. Pre-All Star NL average OPS was .703. Post-All Star Break .724.

Reds SLG now .410, fourth in the NL, slightly down. Reds OBP .329, fourth in the NL, same as last time. Reds BA .258, slightly down, now seventh in the NL. NL average BA is .253.

Reds currently lead the NL in home runs with 149. Reds are 12th in doubles in NL with 208. GABP influence, IMO.

Reds wOBA is .323, tied for 3rd-5th in NL with Mets and Brewers. Reds wRC+ is fourth best in NL at 99.

Joey Votto has been red hot, went 5-7 in doubleheader with Fla. last night. To use Fangraphs stats, his wOBA is second in the NL to Braun with .426. Votto's wRC+ is also second to Braun with 169. Votto is at .328 BA, third in the NL. His OPS is .992 best among qualifiers in the NL. His OBP is .441, by far the best in the NL among qualifiers. His SLG is .551, fourth in the NL among qualifiers. Votto leads the NL in walks with 94. Has 24 homers, 84 RBI.

Phillips, now batting leadoff, with hot stretch now hitting .293 with OPS at .769. Over the last 30 games, Phillips has a .344 BA and an .846 OPS. Over last 30, Hanigan with .286 BA and .899 OPS. Good OPS numbers from Alonso and Frazier in limited action, respectively, 1.301 (29 official at bats for Yonder) and .823 (57 official at bats for Frazier), although Frazier's BA is .211.Stubbs has slid back over last 30, with .585 OPS in that period. Post ASB, Stubbs wih .676 OPS. Overall Stubbs with .724 OPS and .248 BA.

Pitching - Reds team ERA slipped back from 4.05 to current 4.10, eleventh in the NL. FIP for Reds is 4.28, second worst in NL. Reds xFIP is 4.07, second worst in NL. Reds with 3.37 walks per nine innings, fourth worst in NL. Reds Ks per nine innings at 6.82, fifth fewest in NL.

Reds team ERA against lefty hitters is 4.25, 12th in NL. (Not sure how you compile an ERA against lefty hitters, but there it is.) NL overall ERA against lefty hitters is 3.90. Reds team ERA against righty hitters is 4.01, eleventh in league. NL average team ERA against righty hitters, however compiled, is 3.82 overall.

Reds starters ERA is 4.36, same as last time. Reds relievers, though, now at 3.58 trending negatively. Was 3.44 last time, was much better before that.

Starters pretty steady with Cueto 9-5 with a 2.03 in 133.1 innings. Leake at 4.09, Willis at 4.14, Bailey at 4.44, Arroyo (great outing last night) at 5.02.

In last thirty games, here are some bullpen ERAs - Cordero 1.38, Chapman 2.38, Arredondo 4.85, Lecure 6.89, Masset 6.94, Bray 8.10, Ondrusek 11.25 (injured now, though due back). Bray with 1.65 WHIP over last 30; Masset 2.49; Ondrusek 2.75.

Overall, Reds team ERA pre-ASB was 4.17. Post ASB 3.94. Appears improvement due to starters, not bullpen.

Fielding - Reds with 73 errors fifth fewest in NL. Reds with fourth most assists in the NL. Reds .985 FPCT is better than NL and MLB average of .983.Team UZR remains second best to DBacks in NL. Same with UZR/150, Reds second best to DBacks. MLB.com has Reds DER as best in the NL currently.

Reds wih 115 DPs, sixth best in NL. In stolen base percentage against, Reds at .644, third best in the NL. Reds have 3 passed balls allowed, best in the NL.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-25-2011 at 10:58 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Reds stats through 130 games

Thanks, that's a ton of useful info.

I didn't see it mentioned, though, in all that info, that we lead the NL in runs scored.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Thanks, that's a ton of useful info.

I didn't see it mentioned, though, in all that info, that we lead the NL in runs scored.
    I hope folks feel free to add all kinds of stats to these threads, if I leave something out. There are an infinite number of stats, and I don't try to include them all each time.

I've included overall runs scored in many previous posts, just not this one. Glad you contributed it.

No new stat here, but it really shows that pitching it the biggest weakness on this team. I do know that we have a crumy record in 1 run games and clutch hits has been an issue. Anyone know the stat of runners on third with less then 2 outs? My guess that's bad, but clearly the injuries and starting pitching has lead to high ERA and a tired bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds1 View Post
    Anyone know the stat of runners on third with less then 2 outs?
    I beleive Phillips is 23 for 27, which is about as good as it gets.

I know that we lead the NL in runs scored, though our OPS is 4th, which suggests that we are making good use of walks and hits. In other words, other teams are outhitting us, but scoring less.

I know that we lead the NL in runs scored, though our OPS is 4th, which suggests that we are making good use of walks and hits. In other words, other teams are outhitting us, but scoring less.
    I think that the difference in the Reds' runs scored vs. it's percentage hitting stats like OPS may, in part, be the result of playing at GABP. I would be interested in park adjusted stats if folks have them.

One interesting stat is the Reds homers vs. doubles. The Reds are first in homers at home, 13th in doubles at home. This is a wide gap and IMO likely is GABP related. (The gap is much smaller on the road, Reds fourth in homers, seventh in doubles.)

If, due to the make up of GABP, Reds long hits are becoming homers rather than doubles, that could in part indicate why the team scores more runs than the OPS and other percentage stats would indicate.

Of course, GABP is only part of the answer. The Reds have the highest NL OPS with runners on base. They have the second highest NL OPS with men in scoring position, .786. With two outs, however, the Reds have a relatively low OPS with men in scoring position, .632, thirteenth in the league. With the bases loaded, the Reds OPS is .541, second to worst in the league.

So there are a bunch of factors at play here, if anyone has a good analysis of it, I'd be interested.

Very impressive rate there. Speaks to Phillips' ability to battle and give a quality AB.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If, due to the make up of GABP, Reds long hits are becoming homers rather than doubles, that could in part indicate why the team scores more runs than the OPS and other percentage stats would indicate.

I doubt that the park would influence runs vs. OPS.

A HR would of course help scoring more than a double, but a HR increases OPS quite bit more too.

OBA is a more important element than SL % in value in OPS, sio if we had a very high OBA and a lower SL % making up our OPS, that would explain it perhaps. But it isn't the case for us.

I doubt that the park would influence runs vs. OPS.

A HR would of course help scoring more than a double, but a HR increases OPS quite bit more too.

OBA is a more important element than SL % in value in OPS, sio if we had a very high OBA and a lower SL % making up our OPS, that would explain it perhaps. But it isn't the case for us.
    The impact of a HR on OPS is diluted. The OPS formula, obviously, gives 50 percent weighting to OBP - which does not credit extra base hits at all.

Just looking at the Reds overall numbers, I do believe that the team's ability to hit homers, in part influenced by GABP, is a significant factor in the team's high number of runs scored.

What I don't have handy are ballpark adjusted statistics, I believe EqA is one, which may shed some light on this.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-25-2011 at 02:23 PM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Reds OPS+, which is park/league adjusted, is 4th in the NL.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The impact of a HR on OPS is diluted. The OPS formula, obviously, gives 50 percent weighting to OBP - which does not credit extra base hits at all.

Just looking at the Reds overall numbers, I do believe that the team's ability to hit homers, in part influenced by GABP, is a significant factor in the team's high number of runs scored.

What I don't have handy are ballpark adjusted statistics, I believe EqA is one, which may shed some light on this.
    But a HR gives significant to SL%.

In comapring OPS's, where 50% weight is given to each, it would actually be more valuable to have a higher OBA, as that is better than SL%. I've read that a better stat would be to take 170% of OBA and add SL% to get a truer picture of OPS.

It would make more sense to suggest that a team with a lower OPS scoring more runs is because the OBA is higher (at the expense of SL%) as it's been proven that OBA should actually be weighted higher. But that doesn't explain the Reds, with lots of HR's.

Turn Off Ads?