Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Golf's Rules are Bunk

Re: Golf's Rules are Bunk

These pro-ams are essential to the Tour, but they are a huge problem as well. I don't know exactly how everything works on Tour, but let me clarify a few things about these pro-ams.

1) Players don't choose to play in them, they're assigned. Pretty much, the top ranked players each week have to play in the pro-ams. 18 guys in the morning and 18 in the afternoon. I'm not sure if they get any outs, like one freeby a year or something of the sort.

2) When a player no-shows or is a late, another PGA Tour player plays with the group. Typically, there will be 4 players on-site assigned to be there from approximately 6:30-8:30 AM. Then another group of 4 will be there from 11:30-1:30. The players will practice during this time, but are on-call if there's a problem. I'd venture to guess each player on Tour has to be "on-call" 2-4 times per year. It's not that bad.

3) The DQ for missing a pro-am has been around for awhile, but they used to give each player one miss with no penalty. I'm guessing they took that one free miss away? That's too bad because the penalty doesn't fit the crime. It's ridiculous really. After this Furyk fiasco, I bet they make a change this offseason.

I believe the players understand the importance of these pro-ams, as the ams are putting up 5K each or so to play, but they're also pretty rough to play in them. They usually take 5+ hours and it's hard to get much productive practice out of them. That being said, playing with a few ams for the opportunity to play for millions isn't so bad. I'd certainly do it if I could.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

2. Turn Off Ads?

The pro ams used to be a much more important deal to the pros, even though they have always grumbled. Before the big money purses they see today came along, a pro could make connections with local fat cats and pick up some extra cash and maybe a business opportunity.

The big stars have never liked it much.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

I am a golf hazard!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    These pro-ams are essential to the Tour, but they are a huge problem as well. I don't know exactly how everything works on Tour, but let me clarify a few things about these pro-ams.

1) Players don't choose to play in them, they're assigned. Pretty much, the top ranked players each week have to play in the pro-ams. 18 guys in the morning and 18 in the afternoon. I'm not sure if they get any outs, like one freeby a year or something of the sort.

2) When a player no-shows or is a late, another PGA Tour player plays with the group. Typically, there will be 4 players on-site assigned to be there from approximately 6:30-8:30 AM. Then another group of 4 will be there from 11:30-1:30. The players will practice during this time, but are on-call if there's a problem. I'd venture to guess each player on Tour has to be "on-call" 2-4 times per year. It's not that bad.

3) The DQ for missing a pro-am has been around for awhile, but they used to give each player one miss with no penalty. I'm guessing they took that one free miss away? That's too bad because the penalty doesn't fit the crime. It's ridiculous really. After this Furyk fiasco, I bet they make a change this offseason.

I believe the players understand the importance of these pro-ams, as the ams are putting up 5K each or so to play, but they're also pretty rough to play in them. They usually take 5+ hours and it's hard to get much productive practice out of them. That being said, playing with a few ams for the opportunity to play for millions isn't so bad. I'd certainly do it if I could.
    That's a lot of good information Redhook. Thanks. So essentially if you're a top 30 player, you're always assigned to play in a pro-am. I'd think that would make for a longer week and some competitive disadvantage versus not having to play in it.

And if you're not one of the top 36 players, the "on-call" guys are just randomly picked? Sorry I know this is a bit of minutiea for everyone else but it's just something I'm interested in.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

DQing a player because he missed a pro-am is just ridiculous though. Now I could understand if the player routinely skips the pro-am, but Furyk was a little late and now is out of the tourney, when over half the field wasn't even subject to the same rule.

Just fine the guy from the check he gets from his next money finish and be done with it. Escalate the fines and only after the absences become egregious (3 or 4) do you remove him from an event. The sponsors care more about the event than the pro-am anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    That's a lot of good information Redhook. Thanks. So essentially if you're a top 30 player, you're always assigned to play in a pro-am. I'd think that would make for a longer week and some competitive disadvantage versus not having to play in it.

And if you're not one of the top 36 players, the "on-call" guys are just randomly picked? Sorry I know this is a bit of minutiea for everyone else but it's just something I'm interested in.
    Yes, the Top 30 players, play in the majority, if not all, the pro-ams. Their schedule is very different from the "other" Tour players. Usually, they'll take Monday off, or just get a little practice in. They'll play 9 holes Tuesday if they've seen the course, 18 if they haven't. Then they play 18 on Wed.

Playing the pro-ams has advantages and disadvantages. Most of the other players can't play the day before the tournament unless they get up at 5:00 for a quick 9 at 6:15 or so. The disadvantage is they're tiring, but not enough to ruin a week. You get used to them.

When I caddied on the LPGA, they rotated the on-call players. It's not random, but required every so often. I caddied about 30 events and was on-call maybe 3 times. Not much. I think that's pretty typical. It would kind of suck if you were expecting Tiger or Phil and you got some guy 120th on the money instead.

I still think the rule that DQ'd Furyk is bunk. It too harsh and only applies to a small percentage of the field. I'm sure it'll be changed this offseason.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Golf's rules are simple compared to baseball's rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Golf's rules are simple compared to baseball's rules.
    Huh? Have you ever played golf? Golf has more rules that no one knows about until they are called on national TV.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Huh? Have you ever played golf? Golf has more rules that no one knows about until they are called on national TV.
    Baseball has a lot of that too. The balk rules, for example. Interference (in the basepaths, from the batter, from the catcher and from the fans). A player catching the ball with his hat. A ball hitting the umpire. A ball hitting a baserunner. Double switches and other substitution rules (a batter being in the game once announced, the starting pitcher on the lineup card being required to actually pitch to a batter before being replaced, etc.). Differences between the infield and outfield in determining whether a ball is fair or foul. "Unwritten rules" enforced not by the umpires but by a fastball to the ribs.

So, yes, baseball's got a lot of rules that those only somewhat familiar with the game are very puzzled by.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    There may be 15-20 golf rules that you don't know.

There are at least 100 baseball rules that you don't know.

What's funny about all of the weird and different baseball rules is that it's part of what is so cool about baseball.

Golf has too many "duffers", uninformed players who think that buying a golf set from Costco and a pair of golf shoes is enough for understanding how to play the game. It would never occur to half of all golfers that they should see a "professional" and get lessons (every season or two), instead of just going out there and hacking away. That would be akin to being part of a baseball team without a coach, a manager, or ever having had a practice.

But those of us who have played baseball have all played on a "team" at least for one season, if not for 5-10 seasons. How many golfers have been on a "golf team" for even one season, yet alone four or more seasons? 1 out of 1000 would be my guess.

Golf just seems like they have a bunch of odd rules because the majority of people who watch it and play it have never taken it seriously. How many people have actually bothered to ever read the rules? 1 in a 100 at the most. It's more like 4 out of 1000.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 08-31-2010 at 10:57 PM.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

This kid seems to respect the rules.

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/de...rn=golf-267228
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Turn Off Ads?