Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Jack Kemp, R.I.P.

Jack Kemp, R.I.P.

I just heard that Jack Kemp has died of cancer. I had only recently learned that he had been diagnosed with cancer earlier this year, and I had been thinking about sending a letter to him.
    Kemp had a successful career as an AFL QB with the Buffalo Bills, whom he lead to the 1964 and 1965 AFL championships, winning the 1965 AFL MVP award. He served in Congress from 1971 until 1989, was Secretary of HUD from 1989 until 1993, and was Bob Dole's runningmate in 1996. R.I.P.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jack Kemp, R.I.P.

RIP to a great American
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    RIP to a great American
    I second that sentiment.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

To keep the thread out of forbidden territory, does anyone remember seeing him play for the Bills? It was before I was watching pro games.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 05-03-2009 at 07:33 PM.
    /r/reds

Yes, I saw Jack Kemp play for the Bills in the 60's. I was a kid growing up in Cleveland and when the AFL came along it was fascinating what a wide open game it was compared to the NFL at that time.

Kemp, with Buffalo and Lamonica with Oakland plus Dawson with KC and others were throwing the ball all over the place. It was FUN!.

Kemp was a good passer, ran a good game plan and had, IIRC, Cookie Gilcrest as his fullback so he could pound the line if/when he needed to.

I know it's not true but it almost seems to me that Kemp played in snow every home game of his life in Buffalo.

Rem

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

To all of you who remember seeing Kemp play football... you're old. Just sayin'.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    To all of you who remember seeing Kemp play football... you're old. Just sayin'.
    He played in a Stadium loving nicknamed "The Rock Pile".

Kemp was a fine Quarterback, a fine public servant, and a fine man. May God rest his soul.

BTW - His son Jeff Kemp was a Ram QB in the mid 80's.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Yep. I'm old. And I'm cantankerous as well. Just sayin'. :

Rem

Get off my lawn, punk.

:
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Turn Off Ads?