Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NBA fans? Heat/Minnesota trade...

NBA fans? Heat/Minnesota trade...

What do you guys thinks? At first I thought it was a huge rip off in favor of Miami.

Miami receives:
    - Ricky Davis
    - Mark Blount

Minnesota receives:
    - Antoine Walker
    - Michael Doleac
    - 1st Rd pick

But then I found out that after the season there is a team option for Antoine Walker, meaning Minnesota trades one expiring for two and they get out of Blounts long/big contract, with a probable late 1st round pick to boot. Plus, this helps them lose more games to grab a top pick in the next draft. The trade actually works out well for both teams.

Miami gets more big man depth, and another good wing man (and third scoring option). They will probably run:

Williams
    Wade
    Davis
    Haslem
    Shaq

I'm not sure if Minnesota will be able to have a big free agency signing or not. They will have to resign Al Jefferson, Ryan Gomes, and Craig Smith. They will currently lose:

- Ratliff 11.6 million
    - Walker 6 million
    - Doleac 3.1 million
    - Telfair 2.5 million

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: NBA fans? Heat/Minnesota trade...

What is this NBA you speak of?

Looks like Miami is the winner in all seriousness. 'toine has been a problem for years now and I can't see him doing well in Minny unless they want to make him option #1.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

timbok

Sounds like a major ripoff for the HEAT

Expiring contracts in the NBA are gold. I wouldn't be shocked to see the Wolves ship 'Toine elsewhere for another draft pick.

Any time you get rid of Rickey Davis, you win the trade automatically.

Son of a... Ricky Davis is my starting PG for my fantasy team. I figured with KG gone, he'd put up 22 a night.

I can definitely see it as a win/win for a Wovles team that needs to rebuild as fully as possible and a Heat team whose window is quickly closing with Shaq on the way down.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    Any time you get rid of Rickey Davis, you win the trade automatically.
    That's odd. I was thinking the very same thing about Antoine Walker.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    That's odd. I was thinking the very same thing about Antoine Walker.
    He'll be able to shoot at will in Minnesota. He'll be happy, put up good enough numbers for a contender to take a chance on him, and then will proceed to mail it in and play his 3pt line to 3pt line style of basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    He'll be able to shoot at will in Minnesota. He'll be happy, put up good enough numbers for a contender to take a chance on him, and then will proceed to mail it in and play his 3pt line to 3pt line style of basketball.

The funny thing is, Toine is actually a pretty darn good post-up player. It's just a matter of hog-tying him into playing down there.

Riley actually did better than most... he still took too many ill-advised shots though. Who's the head coach now at Minnesota? If they're not a strong presence, he'll run wild shooting the rock.

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Son of a... Ricky Davis is my starting PG for my fantasy team. I figured with KG gone, he'd put up 22 a night.
    In what league does Davis qualify as a PG? Last year Walker shot 39% from the field and 44% from the line. It seems the key to defending him is letting him take horrible shots and if he gets anything resembling a good look, put him on the line.
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

The wolves had to deal blount - for 3 years left on his contract and his non-defense. Ricky was dealt because there are 8 guys (mccants, Buckner, Jaric, Brewer, Gomes, Green and Craig Smith) at the 2 and 3 positions for the Wolves (Jaric must be dealt also) and a lot of these guys are young and need the playing time.
    I thought they would get something back though. 'Toine, and Doleac don't do much for me. Walker better not start - he's awful. At least they get a #1 pick.
    I'm surprised at The Heat - Davis and Blount don't seem like Riley type of players

Quote Originally Posted by IowaRed View Post
    In what league does Davis qualify as a PG? Last year Walker shot 39% from the field and 44% from the line. It seems the key to defending him is letting him take horrible shots and if he gets anything resembling a good look, put him on the line.
    D'oh -- just plain 'ol G spot. Billups and Redd at the point and shooting guard respectively. Even still, it hurts. His scoring was where is value lies and that's definitely gonna take a hit.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

From what i've heard, Toine won't play at in Minnesota. They are supposedly going to buy him out. It would be a good idea IMO.

And some rumors had him going to Boston, but I dunno how legit the rumor was.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    From what i've heard, Toine won't play at in Minnesota. They are supposedly going to buy him out. It would be a good idea IMO.

And some rumors had him going to Boston, but I dunno how legit the rumor was.
    That would be hilarious.

I think that they should have kept Walker. He can still put up the numbers. I think that Minnesota got a steal, but I don't know much about the players Miami is getting.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Turn Off Ads?