Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looks like Reds and 11th-round pick Means have an agreement already

Looks like Reds and 11th-round pick Means have an agreement already

Reds are going to let him still play football after the baseball season. Could be a steal since I believe some people were saying he had 3rd or 4th round talent.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...42/1004/SPORTS

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Looks like Reds and 11th-round pick Means have an agreement already

Boston may have caught a big break yesterday (like they need more luck :thumbdown)when they took Meyer in the 20th Rd. on the same day that UK headcoach John Cohen resigned to take the head job @ his Alma Mater Miss St.

He was replaced Gary Henderson, who was Cohen's pitching coach and played a big part in Meyer's recruitment, but the coaching change might just raise his signability a little bit. Hope he resists and comes to Lexington, but the BoSox certainly have the deep pockets to sign him.

Andrew Means is going to sign!!!

By Terry Hutchens
    Posted: June 7, 2008

Andrew Means had two wishes granted Friday when he was selected by the Cincinnati Reds in the 11th round of the 2008 baseball draft.

He'll get to play professional baseball later this month when he reports to Sarasota, Fla., and the Reds allowed one of Indiana University's top returning receivers to play football this fall.
    Advertisement

Means has agreed to terms and expects to sign a contract soon.

"The signing bonus they're talking about is too much to pass up, but the fact that they're OK with me coming back and playing football is really important, too," Means said Friday in a telephone conversation from his home in Avon Lake, Ohio.

"Right now my plan is to play baseball this summer, and then return to play football in August."

Means hit .357 and led the Big Ten in runs (72) and triples (eight) this season. He was third in the conference with 33 stolen bases.

In football, the 6-foot, 208-pound receiver had 48 catches last season for 559 yards. Only Ray Fisher, with 52 catches, had more among returning players. Means and Fisher are expected to be IU's top receivers this season.

IU football coach Bill Lynch was excited to learn he didn't lose Means.

"I've sensed all along that he really wanted to play football as well in the fall and it was just a matter of getting it all worked out," Lynch said. "If it works out, it will be a great boost for our football program. He's a really good player for us, he's a good leader and a well-respected guy."

One surprise Friday was Boston selected Greensburg High right-hander Alex Meyer in the 20th round. Meyer was projected as a possible first round pick but dropped because teams were concerned they couldn't sign him. He has signed with Kentucky and is being advised by Scott Boras.

dang didn't see this thread

That's great news. I've watched the majority of his football games during his IU career, and this guy is both really tough and FAST. I haven't watched him play baseball but have heard he was timed at some ridiculous first to third speed, and his stolen base numbers (33 for 39) speak for themselves.

Re: Andrew Means is going to sign!!!

Interesting. I didn't realize you could maintain eligibility for football while being paid as a professional baseball player. I guess the spots are silo'd.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Interesting. I didn't realize you could maintain eligibility for football while being paid as a professional baseball player. I guess the spots are silo'd.
    Many have done it, including Adam Dunn for a season at Texas. He didn't concentrate full time on baseball until Chris Simms signed w/ the longhorns, and it became apperant he no longer had a good shot at the starting QB role.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Many have done it, including Adam Dunn for a season at Texas. He didn't concentrate full time on baseball until Chris Simms signed w/ the longhorns, and it became apperant he no longer had a good shot at the starting QB role.
    Simms and Dunn were in the same recruiting class. Dunn quit when it was strongly suggested he move to tight end.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Simms and Dunn were in the same recruiting class. Dunn quit when it was strongly suggested he move to tight end.
    The Buckeyes actually have a guy who does it. Devon Torrence is currently playing in the Astros system.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

A lot of basketball players have done it. Former bearcat Keith Legree was one.

Also Drew Henson did it while QBing at Michigan.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Dennis Dixon played last year in the Braves system.

I believe Jeff Samardzija did it as well.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    I believe Jeff Samardzija did it as well.
    Nope, not him. He played this past summer but have given up football.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

And Ricky Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Nope, not him. He played this past summer but have given up football.
    Samardzija did pitch in the minors in 2006 as well, before returning to ND that fall for football season.

Speaking of him I just looked up his stats, he is currently sporting a 37 K / 33 BB ratio in 60 innings of AA ball. Not so hot.

Turn Off Ads?