Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 67 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: UC Football 2009 Season

Re: UC Football

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    That's good. Every game SHOULD be a strong sell-out, IMO, with such a small stadium considering UC's recent run of success. Anything less is a huge danger sign.

UC is pretty much exactly where they need to be with attendance considering they're run of success is so recent. I definately wouldn't say they are struggling to fill the stadium at this point in time. Considering a couple years ago they started with a pretty much non-existant season ticket base you can't expect waitlists just yet. They aren't far off though. I have no doubt that by the time they figure out expansion plans it will be needed and they will easily be able to fill a bigger stadium as long as UC keeps playing so well.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    That's good. Every game SHOULD be a strong sell-out, IMO, with such a small stadium considering UC's recent run of success. Anything less is a huge danger sign.
    I agree they should sell out no problem, and as a fan it's a little frustrating that they've had problems with it in the past. It's making the current success even more enjoyable though. The reason UC doesn't draw as many fans is due largely to the number of other teams that are in Cincy. UC contends with Miami, XU, OSU, and the Bengals for fans, (and to an certain extent UK) and doesn't really pull in the casual fans outside of Cincy because OSU has historically gotten those fans with their tradition and being the "state school". OSU and UK don't have competition in their cities for fans, and they are also the big powerhouse schools that are able to get the college sports fans from the rest of the state that live outside of Columbus or Lexington. UC will never have a fan base that large, but their fan base is growing. The people of Cincinnati who are not UC alums are starting to back this team, and UC is building the fan base with the current group of college students that are following this program. I even know some Xavier fans that are starting to follow UC football. There's a long way to go, but it's improving.

I bought three student tickets for saturday. I just can't wait.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    We are talking about buying UC Season tickets, so you can't really count Oklahoma since they played them on the road.

When did you guys play Fresno State?

Most of these marquee matchups are once again on the road. No one is questioning UC's scheduling strength, but the fact of the matter is that due to their current facilities they will be playing most of the big dogs on the road.

Lastly, would you like to reclarify your point about Ohio State's schedule? Because from my viewpoint you don't have a point...
    He said he'd rather go to an OSU home game. We play Fresno State in 2 weeks, Oregon State last year, and Oklahoma at home next year. WVU, Pitt, and a few other BE teams also provide a very nice game in a great atmosphere. Games are so fun in Nippert the place is rockin'. Also I forgot to mention we play Illinois (who may not be any good..they got super spanked) and Virginia Tech at home in 2012 or 2014.

And Nippert can most likely at the max seat 45,000 after updates if they do not demolish any buildings around Nippert. I'd say that's a solid number and we should be able to sell that out easy if the success continues.

You can't really compare the atmosphere at Nippert with that in Columbus though...

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    He said he'd rather go to an OSU home game. We play Fresno State in 2 weeks, Oregon State last year, and Oklahoma at home next year. WVU, Pitt, and a few other BE teams also provide a very nice game in a great atmosphere. Games are so fun in Nippert the place is rockin'. Also I forgot to mention we play Illinois (who may not be any good..they got super spanked) and Virginia Tech at home in 2012 or 2014.
    I'm sure games at Nippert are incredible. And a big part of the reason is because of Brian Kelly rejuvenating this program. But being at the Shoe, seeing that band go out on the field, the team running out of the tunnel, especially in a big game.... I'm 100% convinced nothing on earth beats that.

But I may be a tad bit biased...

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    What is the likely capacity of Nippert with an expansion? How many more seats are they trying to add? I guess what I am trying to say is what is the magic number they are looking for? 45000? 55000+?

Good things going on in Clifton right now.
    From what I've heard, the goal is to add 10k more seats and expand to 45k. Structurally, given the placement of the stadium and the buildings surrounding it, it's been determined that it's pretty much impossible to expand much beyond 45k. More importantly in the expansion, though, would be the addition of luxury boxes, suites, big revenue type spaces, etc.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I'm sure games at Nippert are incredible. And a big part of the reason is because of Brian Kelly rejuvenating this program. But being at the Shoe, seeing that band go out on the field, the team running out of the tunnel, especially in a big game.... I'm 100% convinced nothing on earth beats that.

But I may be a tad bit biased...
    Of course you're biased -- just like Florida fans would be biased to say there's no experience like seeing a game at the Swamp, just like Notre Dame fans would say there's nothing quite like hearing the Note Dame Victory March as the Irish storm the field, just like Oregon fans would say there's nothing on earth comparable to the noise and excitement of a home game at Autzen Stadium.

That's the wonderful thing about college football that too many people forget -- there are hundreds of awesome traditions around the country. Cincinnati is hopefully forging their own piece of that greater whole.

The only real mistake you can ever make is having such a strong belief in your own superiority that you miss some of the coolness that's out there.

I'm not accusing you of that cin (you're allowed to have a favorite!), but I think it's something worth remembering as we enter into the yearly hate-off between various college fans.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    From what I've heard, the goal is to add 10k more seats and expand to 45k. Structurally, given the placement of the stadium and the buildings surrounding it, it's been determined that it's pretty much impossible to expand much beyond 45k. More importantly in the expansion, though, would be the addition of luxury boxes, suites, big revenue type spaces, etc.
    Sounds good in the short run. If they want to keep it going though they will have to really pound UCats memberships, and increase ticket prices. Will Cincinnati be able to support it long term? The answer will be on how serious they are about keeping coaches like Brian Kelly. He says all the right things now. But what happens if Rich Rodriguez falls off a cliff, or Charlie Weiss implodes. Can they withstand another run at Kelly from top dollar teams?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The issue is pretty simple. Every college grad/student/fan in this area only has 1 pro team to choose from. They have 10-15 viable options to choose from in college football. I have always been a UC fan. If Miami of Ohio started some great run, I still wouldn't be a fan of them. Same goes for every other school that is not UC or Ohio State. Its much easier to sell 65,000 seats to 800,000 people than 35,000 seats to 800,000 people divided by 15.
    I'm not sure I'd agree with that thinking Doug. We have to keep in mind what the Benguls track record has been the last 15 years and what UC has done the last few years. UC is an exciting team, they have a better shot then the Benguls to win each week, UC tickets are cheaper, and UC is already ranked. Who else (college or pro) around here (locally) can say all that? If someone doesn't want to drive to Columbus it wouldn't be surprising to me if heading to a UC game was their next choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Of course you're biased -- just like Florida fans would be biased to say there's no experience like seeing a game at the Swamp, just like Notre Dame fans would say there's nothing quite like hearing the Note Dame Victory March as the Irish storm the field, just like Oregon fans would say there's nothing on earth comparable to the noise and excitement of a home game at Autzen Stadium.

That's the wonderful thing about college football that too many people forget -- there are hundreds of awesome traditions around the country. Cincinnati is hopefully forging their own piece of that greater whole.

The only real mistake you can ever make is having such a strong belief in your own superiority that you miss some of the coolness that's out there.

I'm not accusing you of that cin (you're allowed to have a favorite!), but I think it's something worth remembering as we enter into the yearly hate-off between various college fans.
    As an OSU grad I will go to a UC game, if the ticket prices are right, and I don't miss OSU's game. Its nothing against UC, but rather a personal preference.

A couple of years ago I heard Colin Cowherd talking on the radio about college football. He was talking about "big boy" college football. I have been to games at OSU and ND and the atmosphere is completely different. It is nothing against UC, but when you have 80,000+ people attending your game, the atmosphere and intensity are increased quite a bit. I would also say that while it would be ideal for UC to expand their stadium to 45K, I don't know if the area can handle that many people.

One problem UC has is that it is trying to forge its own identity so late in the game. They are trying to develop a tradition when there are such strong traditions in the area already. OSU has a big draw in Cincinnati as well as ND and UM. I also think that the big east being swayed by the money playing on your non traditional Sat game day. Playing on a Thurs, Fri, or Mon night are "cool" games for the fans, but you just don't see the big boys playing at those times. UC should have never had to play Rutgers to open up the season because the Big East and UC wanted the payday. (It worked out pretty damn well for UC though)

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

Does UC still do the thing where the band sprints down the steps at Nippert to come onto the field. That was always my favorite part going as a kid.

By the way, there are a lot of things that rival an afternoon game at Memorial Stadium. Some might even say surpass an afternoon game at Memorial Stadium.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Sounds good in the short run. If they want to keep it going though they will have to really pound UCats memberships, and increase ticket prices. Will Cincinnati be able to support it long term? The answer will be on how serious they are about keeping coaches like Brian Kelly. He says all the right things now. But what happens if Rich Rodriguez falls off a cliff, or Charlie Weiss implodes. Can they withstand another run at Kelly from top dollar teams?
    If the program keeps winning, they'll generate the fan support and revenue. It's just a matter of how long will it take to get to the level that a guy like Kelly ultimately wants. Fortunately, at least publically, he's been very realistic about what he wants to see happen in the short-term future.

Ultimately, as far as Kelly leaving, Brian Kelly will do what Brian Kelly wants to do. He does say all the right things publically, and the school has worked their tails off trying to accomodate his requests for facility upgrades, etc. Of course, those things take some time to develop so it's not all going to happen overnight, but Kelly understands this.

Kelly himself has also mentioned repeatedly that his family loves it here, and it probably doesn't hurt that he has small children rather than grown children (i.e. much easier to move around if you're not having to worry about uprooting the kids). How much does all of that truly matter? Only Brian Kelly and his family knows.

Kelly could leave after this season, he could be here for 20 more years, or he could do something inbetween; I don't think anybody but Kelly and his family has much of an idea on that. All I know is that Minter finally helped get us back into some bowl games, then Dantonio further improved the program during his short stay, and then Kelly has taken the program another step (or three) beyond what Dantonio accomplished.

The program has continually improved for the better part of a decade now, and staying on that same path is a pretty nice goal to maintain. I'm just trying to enjoy it while it's here right now, because between the Lost Decade infecting GABP, Mike Brown being Mike Brown, and the recent downturn in UC hoops (though that's coming around now too finally), there hasn't been much to enjoy recently amongst Cincinnati sports teams.
    Last edited by Cyclone792; 09-10-2009 at 09:23 AM.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

Of all the positives that emerged from the lopsided win over Rutgers, Brian Kelly was happiest with the way his team responded to a difficult challenge going on the road for the first time this season, part of a continuing pattern that he cited all during the preseason of his players doing the little things off the field that he says contribute to winning championships.

“We had 26 first-time travelers,” Kelly said. “They didn’t know where the buses were. They didn’t know at the hotel that you pick up the key. It was new. Our seniors and our veterans did a great job of making it seamless. We were on time for everything. The biggest concern you have as a football coach is the uncertainty about how your team is going to handle themselves when they go on the road.

“I told them Sunday night, I brought them together and said, ‘Listen, I don’t know what’s going to happen tomorrow but you’re doing all the little things right to be successful. They were disciplined on (Monday) because they had been disciplined leading up to it.

“Out of the gates, they’ve done a nice job. They clearly have the right things in place for us to continue to be successful. Now we like to touch the stove when it’s hot once in a while, too, so it’s a work in progress, but the bottom line is that our guys are doing the little things right and they have been to be successful. We need to keep duplicating that week after week.”

Kelly said that focus on off-the-field details is a byproduct of the continuity that comes from a coaching staff being in place for several years.

“It has a lot to do with the consistent message from week to week that they know what to expect from me,” he said. “They know what the standards are so that they can pass that on to the other guys and say, ‘Hey, listen, you’re not going to get away with that. Don’t even try that because that’s just not going to work. You need to do it this way.’ It’s all part of it.”

Turn Off Ads?