Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yonder Alonso makes the BA Hotsheet

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Yonder Alonso makes the BA Hotsheet

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...0/2610479.html

Why He's Here: .478/.600/.913 (11-for-23), 5 R, 5 2B, 1 3B, 1 HR, 6 RBIs, 7 BB, 2 SO
    The Scoop: Something just wasn't right with Alonso early in the season. After not looking quite right in the Arizona Fall League, Alonso struggled through the season's first three months, and his numbers were down to .224/.269/.328 on June 26. Maybe he wasn't fully recovered after suffering from a broken hamate bone last year. Whatever it was, Alonso has looked more like the dynamic hitter the Reds drafted in the first round two years ago. Since June 27, Alonso has hit .378/.444/.630 in 151 plate appearances, showing an improved approach at the plate and more power. Yet much like Matt LaPorta with the Brewers two years ago, Alonso is blocked at first base by Joey Votto, which means Alonso could become a valuable trade chip this offseason.

Neftali Soto also made an appearance, but not in a good way.

• Neftali Soto, 1b, Reds: Soto's return to high Class A was supposed to give him a chance to regain his confidence after a rough 2009 season. And he was working on catching as well, which would add to his prospect value. Soto hasn't picked up a catcher's mitt since June 1, and he hasn't played third base since before that. As a first baseman, Soto will depend more on his bat, which means this is a bad time for a slump. Soto hasn't posted a .300 on-base percentage since May, and he's 1-for-18 (.056) in the past week for high Class A Lynchburg.

Also, from the Chat:
    Dan (Work): Yorman Rodriguez, best 17/18 year old in baseball? .340 average, .808 ops, potential top 100 prospect next list? If not him who is the best 17/18 year old?

Ben Badler: I don't see him as a top 100 guy. He's a great athlete but the approach has a long, long ways to go before I get that excited about him. Raw Pioneer League numbers need a heavy discount for hitters because of the offensive environment of that league. The second part of your question is easy: Mike Trout (18) and Bryce Harper (17), although if you want a 17-year-old in pro ball right now, it's either Miguel Sano or Gary Sanchez.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Yonder Alonso makes the BA Hotsheet

It looks more and more evident that Alonso will be traded this offseason. This may not be the appropriate topic for this but being in the National League is a major competitive disadvantage for the Reds. If we are in the American League, Alonso and Francisco for that matter have a much better chance to become great big leaguers. Having a DH in one league and not the other is the dumbest rule in all of sports in my opinion. But, because they are blocked position wise it puts the front office and the those particular players in a precarious situation. I really like the potential Yonder Alonso has shown and would love to see him shine as a Red for at least six years but the odds of that occurring are low.

If we end up having to trade Alonso, the return had better be a top SS/3b/2b prospect...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Whats really kind of annoying is that of all the players I would like to target in a trade most of those teams already have a 1B.

If you want to deal Yonder Alonso for a shortstop, here are your options right now:
    Baltimore - no shortstop prospects
    Chicago (AL) - can Brent Lillibridge stick at short?
    Colorado - is Chris Nelson legit? can he stick at short?
    Detroit - no shortstop prospects
    Minnesota - Trevor Plouffe would be the target, but he's not exactly the most exciting prospect
    Tamba Bay - Reid Brignac might make some sense
    Toronto - no shortstop prospects

-The Insider-

Out of all those guys I would love to have Brignac. Other than that, not so much.

I dont think any SS thats obtainable is going to be better than Cozart, especially at league minimum

I think the only place the Reds are going to get fair trade value is getting some type of pitcher, but heck looking at the current staff I dont know if there is a lot to go for. Greinke is a strong possible target since he likely goes on the block this offseason. If KC would go for Yonder and a few other prospects hes basically the only guy I find a direct fit, and that being said I dont even know if they would like Yonder. For one they are stupid and would rather have someone who hit like Chris Valaika instead, and 2 I dont know if they even need a DH/1b

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    If you want to deal Yonder Alonso for a shortstop, here are your options right now:
    Baltimore - no shortstop prospects
    Chicago (AL) - can Brent Lillibridge stick at short?
    Colorado - is Chris Nelson legit? can he stick at short?
    Detroit - no shortstop prospects
    Minnesota - Trevor Plouffe would be the target, but he's not exactly the most exciting prospect
    Tamba Bay - Reid Brignac might make some sense
    Toronto - no shortstop prospects
    Nobody that gets me excited.

I'm not completely ruling out a Joey Votto to left field option in the offseason though I'm doubtful the Reds would ask him to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    Nobody that gets me excited.

I'm not completely ruling out a Joey Votto to left field option in the offseason though I'm doubtful the Reds would ask him to do it.
    I think if they paid him a ton of money and gave him a LTC he would be more willing.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Out of all those guys I would love to have Brignac. Other than that, not so much.
    A lot of people don't like the idea because the Reds already have Zack Cozart. Honestly, I can't blame them. But if I were the Reds, I would wait for Alonso's stock to elevate and hope team's needs change during that time because if you deal Alonso for a shortstop right now, you're just not going to get anyone close to ML-ready.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    I think if they paid him a ton of money and gave him a LTC he would be more willing.
    Great point. I do think he gets a nice contract after the season. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Votto play some outfield in the minors. If the Reds are as high on Alonso as I am they'll at least talk to Joey about a move.

I would happily take Jake Arrieta from Baltimore for Alonso.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    Great point. I do think he gets a nice contract after the season. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Votto play some outfield in the minors. If the Reds are as high on Alonso as I am they'll at least talk to Joey about a move.
    I think if Votto knows his career is secured he would be much more open to doing something for the betterment of the team. I think if hes going year to year I wouldnt blame him for being a little against it other wise.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'll say I think the Reds--and RZ--will come to regret a trade of Yonder Alonso.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'll say I think the Reds--and RZ--will come to regret a trade of Yonder Alonso.
    I think they would probably be hard pressed to find a better LF and first base solution for at least Alonsos pre arb years.

Turn Off Ads?