Turn Off Ads?
Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041 LastLast

Thread: NCAA Tourney Discussion

Re: NCAA Tourney Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I don't think there is really any hate, maybe Kingspoint, I think people just generally don't think they were one of the better teams in the country.
    I can understand that, tournament play lends itself to upsets. How often do the best teams win in the NFL, MLB and CBB?
    Last edited by redsfanmia; 04-06-2011 at 03:16 PM.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Butler didn't choke. They're just not very good. They're not even a top 25 basketball team. They simply got hot at the right time, and had some favorable matchups. They NCAA tournament is nothing but a crapshoot. More often than not it's about who's luckiest, not who is best.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Butler didn't choke. They're just not very good. They're not even a top 25 basketball team. They simply got hot at the right time, and had some favorable matchups. They NCAA tournament is nothing but a crapshoot. More often than not it's about who's luckiest, not who is best.
    Two years in a row they have played quality teams capable of exposing Butler yet all but two were found wanting. Make all the top 25 lists you want, but I only care when they keep score.

Quote Originally Posted by Orenda View Post
    Two years in a row they have played quality teams capable of exposing Butler yet all but two were found wanting. Make all the top 25 lists you want, but I only care when they keep score.
    That's because of the way they play defense. They have bought into the system all the way. They can get away with lesser talented offensive player because their defense is always going to be there.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

No hate for Butler here.

They are better than every other team in the NCAA for the second year in a row, but one.

I'm not doing a ton of backreading, but what does everyone think of this business of playing games in the huge football stadiums?

I went to the game in Houston, and I hate this new setup of putting the court at midfield instead of across an endzone like the NCAA used to do (and the SEC Tournament in the Georgia Dome, which I also attended, still does). You get put SO much farther away from the court. We had lower level seats, about 20 rows off the court and it felt like about 45 rows away.

Seems to be purely a money thing. Open up the whole stadium and get a big $$$ gate. I would think it would stink to see the game there in person when the players are eetnsy-beentsy little ants running across a distant court.

On a related note, I didn't like to common look-and-feel of the black and blue NCAA courts for all the games. Everything on TV looked exactly the same. I couldn't tell Chicago from Cleveland from Charlotte from Houston, Anaheim, Super Dome, Alamo Dome, etc etc. I liked seeing different college courts.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Seems to be purely a money thing. Open up the whole stadium and get a big $$$ gate. I would think it would stink to see the game there in person when the players are eetnsy-beentsy little ants running across a distant court.

On a related note, I didn't like to common look-and-feel of the black and blue NCAA courts for all the games. Everything on TV looked exactly the same. I couldn't tell Chicago from Cleveland from Charlotte from Houston, Anaheim, Super Dome, Alamo Dome, etc etc. I liked seeing different college courts.
    Also a money thing. Most college courts have some sort of ad on them that is not NCAA official. A few years ago they were putting stickers over those ads and having tons of issues with slippage during games. So they decided to just make 13 generic floors for the host cities.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

It's most definitely a purely money thing. Don't get me wrong, it's not AWFUL -- it's still seeing my Wildcats in the final four and it doesn't get any better than that...but still.

Here's a picture from where I sat (crappy quality, haven't uploaded my pictures taken with my real camera..sorry -- I can put up a better quality later):

Compared to my seats at the GA dome each day:

(Friday and Sunday)

(Saturday)

Here's a view from the top row of the lower level at Reliant (roughly my seats for Saturday at the SEC Tournament)

Endzone top row:

The 600 level where some of my friends were:

If that's too many pictures just let me know and I'll just link some instead.
    Last edited by LexRedsFan; 04-07-2011 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Butler didn't choke. They're just not very good. They're not even a top 25 basketball team.
    Quick, name a team outside the top 25 with four wins as good as Old Dominion, Pitt, Wisconsin and Florida ALL YEAR. How about in the 21-25 category?

If Xavier ever makes it, I'll have to go. Judging by those pictures, though, I'll either plan to spend a fortune or just have to resign myself to not really seeing the game (other than on the JumboTron).

And maybe both.

Notice one state that is bitter.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

What's Mississippi's problem?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    If Xavier ever makes it, I'll have to go. Judging by those pictures, though, I'll either plan to spend a fortune or just have to resign myself to not really seeing the game (other than on the JumboTron).

And maybe both.
    Tickets weren't that bad. My seats at the top cost me 120 a piece (20 below face), and seats around where my friend was (he's a student too, and he used the student tickets so his were way cheap) were going for as low as 20 each by tip time.

FWIW, not all stadiums seem to be as bad as Reliant. I asked a UNC fan if he had any pictures from Ford Field in 2009, and here's what I got:

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    What's Mississippi's problem?
    I was looking at Kansas. Must be hard being a Jayhawk fan right now.

Here's a better one.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?