Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do the Reds' writers just roll over?

Re: Why do the Reds' writers just roll over?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Give us some examples on how tougher the Eastern media is on their teams than ours are on the Reds. It shouldn't be too difficult to find since the Orioles have stunk for the past several years and the Yankees have had stretches over the past several years where they have played poorly. Of course the NY media isn't a very good comparison since there's several newspapers, radio stations and TV stations all competing against one another for stories. Just limit it to Baltimore and Philly. Let's see how their media handles tough stretches by the Orioles and Phillies.
    I mean, how many do you want? This is on the Yankees page of the NY Post: http://www.nypost.com/seven/04132008...it__106375.htm

David Wright's fielding: http://www.nypost.com/seven/04132008...eld_106368.htm

That's just the New York Post tomorrow and there were two more articles in the same paper that questioned teams. I'm not saying I go for the New York hysteria, but in a way I prefer it to NO challenges, NO questions when performance is poor.
    Last edited by Wheelhouse; 04-14-2008 at 01:55 AM.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    The Cincy media was downright criminal in how little information they had about what was going on with the ownership change. Your telling me with all the radio, tv stations & two newspapers in town not one single person sniffed out who was going to be the new owner (or who could have been) until the official announcement was made?

I could name off five groups right now of potential Cubs buyers. And I haven't even been following the story.

I would have been embarrassed to be a part of the Cincy media with that nonsense. But its a microcosm of how bad the market is overall. It's a stepping stone market and anyone with any talent moves on rather quickly.
    One thing that has to be taken into consideration is the conservative nature of the city where our beloved team resides. Reporter that are too nosey probaby don't get much information. And, like on this board, any criticism or negativity toward the Reds is considered blasphemy. Unfortunately, in a conservative society (and I'm pretty conservative myself), the third estate is looked upon as a boil on the behind and anyone who tries to "bring out the dirt," whether it's dirty or not, is considered either a malcontent or just sticking their nose in where it does not belong.

Yep, it's not just in Cincy, but I get the feeling that these guys who work here worry more about what ownership thinks than reporting what is going on. That's really sad. The press, with all the attacks from those in power, is a paper tiger these days and that's not only sad, but unfortunate.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

like on this board, any criticism or negativity toward the Reds is considered blasphemy.
    You are talking about Redszone?

Don't forget about that blasphemer, M. Brennaman, still blaspheming away.

Like sports fans anywhere when their team is losing, Reds fans are a miserable lot.

If I were a Reds writer, I would at least point out how Phillips dropping the pivot and not turning the double play opened the door for four runs.

The Cincy media could be rabid as a craphouse bat; it's not going to impact the team, either the players or the FO.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    I mean, how many do you want? This is on the Yankees page of the NY Post: http://www.nypost.com/seven/04132008...it__106375.htm

David Wright's fielding: http://www.nypost.com/seven/04132008...eld_106368.htm

That's just the New York Post tomorrow and there were two more articles in the same paper that questioned teams. I'm not saying I go for the New York hysteria, but in a way I prefer it to NO challenges, NO questions when performance is poor.

Besides the NY media. As I said, that's a different animal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    The Cincy media could be rabid as a craphouse bat; it's not going to impact the team, either the players or the FO.
    I agree. The "team" is not playing to make the media happy. IMO, there are only two players who are highly sensitive to media scrutiny and they seem to end up with good numbers every year.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Lots of bats and crap this morning.....

What happened to you over the weekend?
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

MLB is such an easy game ... these guys could all be really good if they just wanted it bad enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Is there an unwritten rule that if you ask tough questions you'll be punished by restricted access to the team or something of the like? It's just really disturbing as a fan--and it looks like complacency.

Well, I listened to most of the Pirate series on the radio this weekend, and Marty is in mid-season form, asking the tough questions.

I really cracked up near the end of game two when Marty was talking about what to do in game 3 to "Fix" things. Marty suggested benching Patterson, EdE, and Dunn. He said put Hopper in CF and Freel at 3b.. Brantley then asked him who would play LF.. That actually got a moment of silence from Marty before he realized that his "plan" was flawed.

In all seriousness, the writers really need to be rosy in the early part of the year, because most fans want to have hope now. Look at the reception some of the "pessemists" got in the game threads.

I have to agree with Falls City that this team, while improved from last year, still has plenty of holes. I think they end up slightly below 500, unless changes are made.

The overall offense and defense is very weak. The bullpen is starting to show some weakness as well. We have to expect that the young pitchers will have outings like Ceuto had yesterday where he gives up a big inning. That's just part of the learning process.

If we don't win the Harang-Dempster matchup vs the Cubs, I think we stand a good chance of getting swept by the Cubs, as the other other matchups do not favor us at all (Zambrano, and a Lefty starter)..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    MLB is such an easy game ... these guys could all be really good if they just wanted it bad enough.
    And they'll only want it enough if you embarrass them in a public forum (the press) otherwise they'll never know if they are experiencing a bad stretch, because off the field they never think about baseball or their performance at all.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    because off the field they never think about baseball or their performance at all.
    ... they just drink beer and play video games.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    ... they just drink beer and play video games.
    And seek advice from the bench jockeys yelling "Yoooze Stink....."

You have to boo them, too. That always helps.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    You have to boo them, too. That always helps.

But that makes them feel small.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?