Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reds to offer Baker a contract

Re: Reds to offer Baker a contract

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    2008-2012, the Reds OPS ranking has been better than their runs ranking in the NL only once. Shouldn't it be better more often if lineup construction was really a problem?
    Not when you are giving your poor OPS guys more plate appearances per game than your best OPS guys. The team OPS would be better if the best players were getting more at-bats and the worst players were getting fewer at-bats.

Team OPS correlates very strongly with run scoring. So by optimizing the lineup you increase the team OPS and therefore score more runs over the course of the season.
    Last edited by AtomicDumpling; 10-12-2012 at 03:35 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Maybe Walt can get him some better OBP guys.
    I think Walt goes out and gets guys that Dusty wants. Walt certainly isn't forcing unwanted players on Dusty. Dusty is a key part of the decision making process when it comes time to acquire players for Dusty's team.

Guys like Patterson, Taveras, Valdez and Cairo got hundreds of plate appearances because Dusty put them in the lineup -- usually at the top. Poor hitters like Stubbs and Cozart bat at the top of the lineup because Dusty put them there.

Dusty is the one that has been quoted numerous times saying that OBP does not lead to improved run scoring.

Dusty is the one that insists on bunting when even a successful bunt would reduce the team's run expectancy for the inning.

Walt isn't perfect and could probably have acquired better players for Dusty over the years, but you can't assign Dusty the credit for the good things then blame Walt for all the bad things. They are in this together.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Not when you are giving your poor OPS guys more plate appearances per game than your best OPS guys.
    It's not nearly that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    It's not nearly that simple.
    That's all you got?

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    That's all you got?
    Your 7:05 post isn't very good either.

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    Your 7:05 post isn't very good either.
    OK. Thanks for sharing.

Alright, break it up. Enough grappling. Touch gloves and fight cleanly.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I don't hate Dusty. I think he's a good man that brought chemistry to a clubhouse full of young guys.

But his bullheadedness regarding the lineup and his usual bit of watching the wheels fall off when everyone is screaming to do something has driven me crazy for years.

There are plusses and minuses to being a player's manager. Sure, they like you and they play for you. But it makes it hard to do certain manuevers that might upset players during a game.

At this point, I'd rather have a strategical guy than a team Dad as manager.

Resident PED Expert

Well one thing is for certain. Walt already has his replacement in line and the guy probably has already agreed to manage the team if/when Dusty declines. I'm sure they'll do a dog and pony search for show. But there is zero chance that this move was made by Walt without a fallback option in place. Not his style.

Speculation: Riggleman

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    Well one thing is for certain. Walt already has his replacement in line and the guy probably has already agreed to manage the team if/when Dusty declines. I'm sure they'll do a dog and pony search for show. But there is zero chance that this move was made by Walt without a fallback option in place. Not his style.

Speculation: Riggleman
    No thanks

He's a pudtz and a quitter

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    No thanks

He's a pudtz and a quitter
    Somewhat. But he had the Nats contending without. Stratasburg, Gio and Harper. He started the upward culture in DC.

My main reasoning is he knows how to handle Vets and he is now somewhat familiar to some extent of the next crop of Reds players. He had DiDi, H-Rod, Hamilton, LaMarre, Lutz, Vidal, Barnhart, Fellhauser, Smith, Corcino, Cingrani, Lotzkar, Rodgers, Villrreal, Freeman, Hayes, Manno, Partch at some point this year and already has some idea of each players strengths and weaknesses. He'd also be more likely to use them correctly.

I'm probably wrong. But the next manager of the Reds needs to be more position player rookie friendly.

I agree,a one year contract is a slap in the face and no way he takes it.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Maybe Walt can get him some better OBP guys.
    Yes, I agree. Not that I'm bashing Walt, but most of the season, Dusty was forced to use Phillips at cleanup (where he excelled). Dusty didn't have any good OBP guys to use at the top of the order (Hannigan doesn't count).

And honestly, the team won 97(?) games.. I don't really think Dusty's lineups did any harm.. I think Dusty invested a lot of time in Stubbs, trying to get him to breakout. By the time the playoffs came around, he put Stubbs in #8, which is what the lineup gurus would recommend. I can see why Dusty was trying to give Stubbs every opportunity to win a top of the order spot.. Dusty's patience pays off some times.

I hope Dusty comes back, although I have confidence Walt and Cast can find an adequate replacement if they must. If Dusty wants to come back, I hope they let him.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    Somewhat. But he had the Nats contending without. Stratasburg, Gio and Harper. He started the upward culture in DC.

My main reasoning is he knows how to handle Vets and he is now somewhat familiar to some extent of the next crop of Reds players. He had DiDi, H-Rod, Hamilton, LaMarre, Lutz, Vidal, Barnhart, Fellhauser, Smith, Corcino, Cingrani, Lotzkar, Rodgers, Villrreal, Freeman, Hayes, Manno, Partch at some point this year and already has some idea of each players strengths and weaknesses. He'd also be more likely to use them correctly.

I'm probably wrong. But the next manager of the Reds needs to be more position player rookie friendly.
    The next manager needs to have dugout smarts more than hand holding abilities, it would be nice if he didn't quit on his team either.

Riggleman has 4 90 loss plus seasons and has managed 4 teams, I don't see the allure of him at all

I think Dusty might only want one year deals from now on. With his health issues, he would like the flexibility to walk away from managing if they become an issue again. I just don't see Dusty quitting with years left on his contract.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Turn Off Ads?