Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else think this would help [Choo in LF, Robinson/Heisey in CF]

Re: Does anyone else think this would help [Choo in LF, Robinson/Heisey in CF]

Quote Originally Posted by KC2135 View Post
    I understand that he will swipe more bases, but Robinson's MLB numbers this season .261 avg 341 obp .672 ops versus Hamilton at AAA .247 .302 .645. I just don't expect Hamilton to come in and do much more than Robinson has besides steals.
    Maybe not yet, but Billy is younger and still adjusting to AAA. He outperformed D-Rob by a mile at the lower levels across the board (and at a younger age). I think Hamilton's floor is D-Rob at this point.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Maybe not yet, but Billy is younger and still adjusting to AAA. He outperformed D-Rob by a mile at the lower levels across the board (and at a younger age). I think Hamilton's floor is D-Rob at this point.
    I agree with that. I just don't know about Billy being ready next year.

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    Probably would have cost one of if not a couple of the following. Bailey, Leake and Cingrani. After the way season has worked out very glad they didn't trade any pitching for offense.
    Would you trade Leake for Fowler after the season? I would.

EMAW

I was sitting ten feet from a group of MLB scouts at the Royals game this week against Cleveland. Jim Fregosi is a very nice guy, he works for Atlanta. Anyway, just randomly I ask what they think the Reds want and they all said an outfielder, that can play CF with the thought Choo moves to LF or........is part of a trade package. Can't imagine he would bring a ton being a free agent, but thought it was interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by EMAW View Post
    I was sitting ten feet from a group of MLB scouts at the Royals game this week against Cleveland. Jim Fregosi is a very nice guy, he works for Atlanta. Anyway, just randomly I ask what they think the Reds want and they all said an outfielder, that can play CF with the thought Choo moves to LF or........is part of a trade package. Can't imagine he would bring a ton being a free agent, but thought it was interesting.
    Trading for an outfielder that can play center makes sense. Trading Choo doesn't.

On a related note, the bell is tolling for Xavier Paul now too.

His OBP/SLG down to .330/.397 respectively.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by KC2135 View Post
    I agree with that. I just don't know about Billy being ready next year.
    Yeah, agreed. It is frustrating to have to wait to see those wheels at GABP, but it does look like he'll need more seasoning than we'd hoped.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post

When Ludwick is back, here is the OF depth chart:

Bruce
    Choo
    Ludwick
    Heisey
    Paul
    ---
    Robinson

The Reds, when healthy, are in an enviable position in the OF IMO.

When Ludwick is back, here is the OF depth chart:

Bruce
    Choo
    Ludwick
    Heisey
    Paul
    ---
    Robinson

The Reds, when healthy, are in an enviable position in the OF IMO.
    Agreed if no additions, but Choo should really sit against RHP and Ludwick was sitting a couple days per week before he got hurt. That means roughly 4 starts per week from Heisey/Paul. I'd rather add another player ASAP to get those PAs. It makes the team better now instead of waiting for Ludwick, covers them if Ludwick has a setback, adds a DH for AL Parks (in the World Series of course) and provides options should something happen to Bruce or Choo. Probably not a star, but some one who can play all three spots while providing some production. Last year at this time, I thought that was a perfect job for Heisey, now I want somebody better.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

XP is 4/38 since his HR in Chicago on June 11th.

Since May 26th, he's walked only one time.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Agreed if no additions, but Choo should really sit against RHP and Ludwick was sitting a couple days per week before he got hurt. That means roughly 4 starts per week from Heisey/Paul. I'd rather add another player ASAP to get those PAs. It makes the team better now instead of waiting for Ludwick, covers them if Ludwick has a setback, adds a DH for AL Parks (in the World Series of course) and provides options should something happen to Bruce or Choo. Probably not a star, but some one who can play all three spots while providing some production. Last year at this time, I thought that was a perfect job for Heisey, now I want somebody better.
    No argument here. Heisey looks even better as a 5th OF -- and regardless of that, the injury concerns with Ludwick suggest another option would be advisable. I wonder who will be available though. Versatile OF bats with solid D who are better than Chris don't grow on trees...

Chris Stynes and Jon Nunnally have been exposed. Time to go get Jeffrey Hammonds to play part time in CF and LF.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

14. Likes:

RedEye (07-06-2013),Tom Servo (07-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Chris Stynes and Jon Nunnally have been exposed. Time to go get Jeffrey Hammonds to play part time in CF and LF.
    DeJesus is on the DL and Rios seems too expensive. Morse is a statue on D. Ruggiano is another Heisey but older. Willingham is also expensive and is a corner OF. Who else is out there? I am sure Walt has his ear to the ground, but I'm not sure there is much to hear...

Nate Schierholtz

What would it take to get this guy? Just the type of cheap, healthy, good, under-the-radar player the Reds should look to acquire IMO.

Norichika Aoki

We have already discussed him. He might be hard to get, but he would be great.

DeJesus is on the DL and Rios seems too expensive. Morse is a statue on D. Ruggiano is another Heisey but older. Willingham is also expensive and is a corner OF. Who else is out there? I am sure Walt has his ear to the ground, but I'm not sure there is much to hear...
    I'd prefer some one who can hit aganst LHP and can play all three spots, but a guy who hits from either side would be OK. The easiest place to upgrade the soft underbelly of the roster immediately is a RH OF to take Robinson's spot, but Paul isn't a lock if somebody better could be had. Not interested in dealing off much, with middling prospects like Soto, H-Rod or Sharky along with young but limited major leaguers like Partch, Hoover and Robinson as guys I'd try to make a package from (with lesser guys if anyone wants any). I'd probably want a relief pitcher or two as well. Not sure if it can be done in one deal, but the same teams that have these middling OF have some decent middle of the pen guys as well.

It's fun to speculate, so, guys I'd look at include:

David Dejesus - Better against RHP should sit against LHP, has a reasonable option for 2014 and might be the kind of insurance the team could use to bridge the gap when Choo leaves and Hamilton isn't ready. Might push Xavier Paul off the roster. Should be back after the All Star break if not sooner. Gregg or Russell might be too pricey in terms of talent to get a package to help the pen too, but the possibility of 2014 insurance is attractive IMO.

Chris Denorfia - Would directly replace Robinson for now and might make a logjam when Ludwick returns, but could split CF with Choo. If they could net Thayer, Thatcher or Gregorson in a deal too, that would be pretty nice.

Alejandro de Aza - Odd because he's a lefty bat, but has been better against LHP. Not sure about how I'd view that going forward, but can handle all three spots and would be an upgrade over Paul and Robinson. Thornton and/or Lindstrom would interest me as help for the pen.

Justin Ruggiano - He is a lot like Heisey, but that makes him a clear upgade over Robinson. His advantage over Heisey is that he's been a clear lefty killer over the last couple years and he'd be an ideal fit to platoon with Choo (though Choo sitting against LHP is probably a pipe dream) or at least be in there somewhere when a lefty is on the mound. Florida isn't as hitter friendly as GABP, so he might be better here. He should be cheap and shouldn't cost anything we'd regret dealing. I wonder if an offer of Robinson straight-up would interest the Marlins. They'd win the age battle and Robinson might have a poor man's Juan Pierre future that may be worth taking a shot at. Dunn or Webb would get me to add an arm to the deal.

Franklin Gutierrez - Not sure when he's due back (Hammy), but he is arguably the best defensive OF in the game. Kills lefty pitching and, out of Seattle, might be a good every day OF. Has a 2014 option for $7.5 Million that Seattle will likely decline and with Dustin Ackley rebooting his career in CF, he might be cheap to acquire. If they could get Darren Oliver too, I'd be all over it assuming he'll be back by mid July. If there is reasonable assurance of health, Gutierrez might be my top under the radar target to boost the Reds.

I'm sure there are more names. They don't need to be stars to improve this roster, and given that the Reds have little that they can afford to deal, it may be better to avoid the stars anyway. Schierholtz would probably cost too much BTW and can't play CF so I'd pass unless it's a sweet deal.
    Last edited by mth123; 07-06-2013 at 11:09 AM.

18. Likes:

TheBigLebowski (07-06-2013)

Turn Off Ads?