Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jorge Cantu possibly favored to win Marlins' 3B job

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Jorge Cantu possibly favored to win Marlins' 3B job

The Marlins are just looking for warm bodies this year following their latest firesale, but I found this tidbit from CBS Sportsline interesting:

---------------------------------------------------------------

Cantu now favored to win 3B job?

Jorge Cantu, 1B FLA

News: Marlins INF Jorge Cantu, according to the The Sports Xchange, has gained ground on Jose Castillo in the battle to start at third base. Cantu hit a double in three consecutive innings March 8 and drove in five runs to lead the Marlins to a 12-4 win against the Mets at Tradition Field. "He's been real impressive the whole camp," manager Fredi Gonzalez said. "The way he's been swinging the bat in the games, and the way he's been going about his business. The whole package, he's been real impressive."

Analysis: After a 1-for-3 performance March 9, Cantu was batting .407. Through the weekend, both Castillo and Dallas McPherson were batting less than .190. The Marlins like Castillo's defense, but don't be surprised if McPherson winds up starting the year in the minors while Castillo and Cantu platoon.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jorge Cantu possibly favored to win Marlins' 3B job

not much competition at the hot corner in Miami.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Jorge Cantu

Jorge Cantu seemed perfectly ok as a RH platoon 1B and pinch hitter. I still scratch my head as to why we released him.

Re: Jorge Cantu

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    Jorge Cantu seemed perfectly ok as a RH platoon 1B and pinch hitter. I still scratch my head as to why we released him.
    That is what I would thinking as well. Maybe he had an attitude problem and was a bad clubhouse guy. That is the only thing I can figure out. Because judging just from the numbers, if the Reds had a chance to keep this guy for cheap (and they did) as RHH bench player, it doesn't make any sense to cut him. Oh well, not exactly the type of move that is going to make or break a season, but certainly a head-scratcher like you said.

I miss Jorge Cantu like I miss that time when I had mono. If the Marlins intend to start him that team is worse off than I thought and I thought they were built to lose 95.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

The Reds didn't want to pay the money he would have gotten in arbitration.

Cantu doesn't hit lefties (or righties for that matter) particularly well and plays terrible defense. The Reds don't miss him.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    The Reds didn't want to pay the money he would have gotten in arbitration.
    Makes sense, but then I don't understand why they picked up Cantu in the first place. They knew he was up for arbitration in 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Cantu doesn't hit lefties (or righties for that matter) particularly well and plays terrible defense. The Reds don't miss him.
    In other words He stinks, the Marlins don't want to rush the kids and don't mind watching the stinking for a few months.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I miss Jorge Cantu like I miss that time when I had mono. If the Marlins intend to start him that team is worse off than I thought and I thought they were built to lose 95.
    he's gonna win the job, only one of Castillo and McDallas that is hitting so far

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    In other words He stinks, the Marlins don't want to rush the kids and don't mind watching the stinking for a few months.
    he won't be blocking anyone

Quote Originally Posted by ramp101 View Post
    he's gonna win the job, only one of Castillo and McDallas that is hitting so far
    Well, it's not like he's up against two world-beaters there. It's also early March. When the games start counting I doubt it will be long before you're thinking, "Hey, we need a 3B."
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Well, it's not like he's up against two world-beaters there. It's also early March. When the games start counting I doubt it will be long before you're thinking, "Hey, we need a 3B."
    I have a feeling with any of the 3, we'll be thinking that

I can't for the life of me figure out why he was acquired in the first place.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I didn't even know we had a Marlins fan as a member of the ORG.

Turn Off Ads?