Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what does two rule 5 guys mean

what does two rule 5 guys mean

Now that the Reds are carrying not one, but two, Rule 5 draft picks on their roster, what does that mean? Does Krivsky see things in guys that no one else does? Are the reds hurting for good players so much that 2 Rule 5 guys make the opening day roster? Discuss.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: what does two rule 5 guys mean

There was a rather good chance from the start Hamilton was going to be a steal - almost immediately, Tampa Bay began lamenting the fact they gave him away. I have a feeling the Cubs might end up in that same boat. I am sure everyone and his brother were looking for this guy.
    So far, Burton is a gamble which has worked - and, again, it was a "little to lose" gamble. To be honest, I am not sure how closely he was watched.
    I believe Hamilton has been the bigger difference maker. With the loss of Denorfia, he becomes a lot more important.
    On the other hand, if Burton was not around, there were plenty of other guys who probably could have stepped into his shoes - Hermanson, Santos, Livngston, et al.
    Yeah, this is highly unusual. And I doubt a team like Detroit or New York would do something like this (though I could be horribly wrong). But, if this work, then it works.

Normally I would say severe lack of talent in the upper levels of the farm system and a long rebuilding process.

But I'm a Reds fan, so I will say ... great scouting and luck?

I know there was no question about picking Hamilton as far as talent goes. But Krivsky still had to wonder about his character and drug related issues. But for $50K, I guess there's no reason not to take a chance on some guys who might be able to contribute.

The Reds took the chance because of Narron and past relationships with Hamilton. It is doubtful Hamilton is a Twin today if Kriv still worked for them.

I don't believe Krivsky saw anything in Josh that others missed. We have Josh because of Jerry Narron.

Actually Krivsky didn't know about the relationship with Narron until he was almost ready to pull the trigger. He told Narron they were thinking of acquiring Hamilton and asked him what he thought, the day before the rule V draft. So the relationship with Narron I'm sure helped a little but Krivsky was already after Hamilton when he found out about it.

yeah...

Kriv's scouts really pushed him to snag Hamilton. Good thing, huh?

Burton was probably another low-risk, high-reward guys like Phillips last year: A lot of talent, still putting it together and no where to put him

Can he be stopped?

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    Yeah, this is highly unusual. And I doubt a team like Detroit or New York would do something like this (though I could be horribly wrong). But, if this work, then it works.
    Rule V guys work out well some times. You mention Detroit not doing something like this, but they had Chris Shelton as a Rule V guy in 2004 when they were still a struggling team. The Twins got Santana out of the Rule V, so obviously thats something to hope for. The Reds are a team that needs to take a few chances and have them pan out to be competitive. BP worked. DRoss worked. Arroyo worked. Others did not. These two will be interesting, and if Spring is even a slight indicator, these two may have something to contribute. I like that our scouting dept. is digging up stuff like this. Kriv brought a scout's mentality, and sometimes it pays off.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunner44 View Post
    Rule V guys work out well some times. You mention Detroit not doing something like this, but they had Chris Shelton as a Rule V guy in 2004 when they were still a struggling team. The Twins got Santana out of the Rule V, so obviously thats something to hope for. The Reds are a team that needs to take a few chances and have them pan out to be competitive. BP worked. DRoss worked. Arroyo worked. Others did not. These two will be interesting, and if Spring is even a slight indicator, these two may have something to contribute. I like that our scouting dept. is digging up stuff like this. Kriv brought a scout's mentality, and sometimes it pays off.
    I agree with this. I have never seen a GM that uses scouting so well to pick up guys for free. Maybe he needs a book called "Scouting Ball" or something. If "The Trade" had been made for someone that could have actually helped the Reds he would have been close to a miracle worker in my eyes. As it is I have to ask "What in the world was he thinking trading..." Nevermind. I think this has its own thread somewhere.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    Normally I would say severe lack of talent in the upper levels of the farm system and a long rebuilding process.

But I'm a Reds fan, so I will say ... great scouting and luck?
    I'm sure it's the first, but am hopeful that it is the second as well.

This means less flexibility for the team. If these guys struggle then some big decisions need to be made.

I think more than anything it shows that Oakland has alot of arms in their system. As far as Hamilton goes...I don't think anyone else believed he could get past his demons. These two picks could be a huge part of the Reds story this year.

Quote Originally Posted by redlegz View Post
    Actually Krivsky didn't know about the relationship with Narron until he was almost ready to pull the trigger. He told Narron they were thinking of acquiring Hamilton and asked him what he thought, the day before the rule V draft. So the relationship with Narron I'm sure helped a little but Krivsky was already after Hamilton when he found out about it.
    Actually in the Enquirer yesterday, Narron said he had no idea the Reds had acquired or were going to acquire Hamilton until the deal was made. I thought what you said was right as well, I was surprised to read it yesterday.

I think it also shows that there are Rule V guys and Rule V guys. Both Hamilton and Burton showed in ST that they had more than talent. They could play in the major leagues and help the REDS today. Its a case of great scouting by the REDS and I'd also include JC in the mix too. These are guys who other clubs had decided weren't in the top 40 of their respective clubs and the REDS decided they were wrong. It's not exactly a dearth of talent in the REDS system but don't forget that there are 9 players on the DL to begin the season and the AAA team has some pretty good talent too. Burton being a Rule V probably had the advantage over guys like Shack, Salmon et al who have options so you could probably group them all as being at the same talent level.

Can he be stopped?

are we calling Coutlangus JC now? His last name is so fun to write, and even more fun to say....

Turn Off Ads?