Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trouble in Steeler Country

Re: Trouble in Steeler Country

I can't believe no one's mentioned this yet: His name is Whines Hard.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Seriously.

As much as I hate to admit it, Ben's a terrific QB.

I'm the first to pile on the Steelers and Ben's inablility to use more than one syllable, but a guy's got to be GOOD in the first place if he's going to draw the ire of rival fans.

We don't like him because he's good, not because he's bad.

As for Hines, he ought to thank his lucky stars that it's been Roethlisberger throwing to him over the past few years as opposed to Charlie Batch and the like.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

I'll never be magnanimous where the Squealers are concerned. It just isn't in my DNA.

Screw Whines Hard.

Screw Ben Rothlessbooger.

Screw the Squealers.

Fin.

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    Seriously.

As much as I hate to admit it, Ben's a terrific QB.

I'm the first to pile on the Steelers and Ben's inablility to use more than one syllable, but a guy's got to be GOOD in the first place if he's going to draw the ire of rival fans.

We don't like him because he's good, not because he's bad.

As for Hines, he ought to thank his lucky stars that it's been Roethlisberger throwing to him over the past few years as opposed to Charlie Batch and the like.
    I think Ben Roethlisberger made a misstep when he talked about his wishes for a bigger receiver in public. As a team leader, he needs to be careful what he says. The way he said what he said implies that his current crop of receivers is not sufficient for his needs. Regardless of whether you feel that's true or not, that's something best kept between Ben and the coaching staff/front office.

I think Hines Ward should be thankful that he's not dealing with Bubby Brister or Kordell Stewart. However, his reaction isn't entirely unexpected. WRs are notorious for big egos and big egos are often easily bruised.

I don't have a problem with Roethlisberger from a talent perspective. He just gets on my nerves when he makes every injury out to be the worst thing that could happen to a guy. The whole thing with his thumb a few years ago was right up there with Bubby Brister's mom as far as most annoying Steelers' items picked up on by the media.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I have no problem with fans "hating" a rival team/player. That's the nature of sports. It's competition. But many seem to do it devoid of the truth/facts, and what that team (players) have accomplished throughout their history to the present. Scoff all one wants.

I'm a Browns fan who obviously is no Steelers fan. But I'm also not afraid to acknowledge that jealousy is also a factor when it comes to the history/success of the Steelers organization, and what the Rooney family have historically accomplished.

I wish the Browns and Bengals "family" of ownership had followed the same paths.

I still find it hilarious that when Hines Ward publically says something he's labeled "Whines Hard". But when Chad Johnson does so, he's unappreciated and misunderstood.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I think thats just how you interpret it.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I have no problem with fans "hating" a rival team/player. That's the nature of sports. It's competition. But many seem to do it devoid of the truth/facts, and what that team (players) have accomplished throughout their history to the present. Scoff all one wants.

I'm a Browns fan who obviously is no Steelers fan. But I'm also not afraid to acknowledge that jealousy is also a factor when it comes to the history/success of the Steelers organization, and what the Rooney family have historically accomplished.

I wish the Browns and Bengals "family" of ownership had followed the same paths.

I still find it hilarious that when Hines Ward publically says something he's labeled "Whines Hard". But when Chad Johnson does so, he's unappreciated and misunderstood.
    That's your gig, we let you be our resident Chad Hater, plus it is hard to do something so clever with his name :

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    That's your gig, we let you be our resident Chad Hater, plus it is hard to do something so clever with his name :
    I guess every forum has to have one. But I'm obviously not the only one. See the thread on Chad's Comments On Playing For The Dolphins.

But "hate" is such as strong word tr. I don't hate the guy. Just think he's immature and has an ego that is no different then many of the big mouth receivers, such as Ward, that we see scattered around the league. I've never advocated that Chad be traded. Just wish he'd grow up and not think so much of himself.

Look at this current example. This thread was started to try and imply there is trouble in Steeler country and that Hines Ward no longer likes Ben because Ben said that he'd like to have a taller receiver. And HW didn't care for it. Big deal.

It means no more then when Chad is giving his QB crap over on the sideline. Does that mean Chad doesn't like Carson or there is trouble in Bengal country?
    Last edited by GAC; 01-29-2008 at 08:49 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Clearly, crybaby Chad will be happier with the inimitable Cleo Lemon throwing him passes instead of the likes of Carson Palmer. Stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I think Ben Roethlisberger made a misstep when he talked about his wishes for a bigger receiver in public. As a team leader, he needs to be careful what he says. The way he said what he said implies that his current crop of receivers is not sufficient for his needs. Regardless of whether you feel that's true or not, that's something best kept between Ben and the coaching staff/front office.
    Or maybe Ben already tried the private route when the Steelers let Plaxico Burress walk, and then figured it didn't work. And he certainly didn't "imply" that the current receiver corps wasn't adequate, even though he'd be correct if he did. Ward is getting older. Nate Washington isn't answer. Holmes is a good slot guy and Heath Miller is a solid TE, but Ben has been doing more with less for quite some time now.

I think Hines Ward should be thankful that he's not dealing with Bubby Brister or Kordell Stewart. However, his reaction isn't entirely unexpected. WRs are notorious for big egos and big egos are often easily bruised.
    Ward has virtually zero ego. The guy is one of the last true football players on the planet and I'm honored that I've been able to watch him perform over the years. If Ward was doing anything, it was simply standing up for the guys who've run the routes with him recently.

I don't have a problem with Roethlisberger from a talent perspective. He just gets on my nerves when he makes every injury out to be the worst thing that could happen to a guy. The whole thing with his thumb a few years ago was right up there with Bubby Brister's mom as far as most annoying Steelers' items picked up on by the media.
    Roethisberger has gone through a lot more physical issues than you might realize. Knee, ankle, shoulder, ribs, etc. He takes a pounding and says nothing about the routine stuff that would normally sideline your average QB for at least a game or two. Ben does not play up injuries at all. I have a lot of respect for that. If folks are blowing injuries out of whack, that's the media simply taking something and running with it.

And if he was asked what he wants and named a "tall receiver", that actually shows a lot of character as he likely should have said, "An entirely different offensive line." He's been sacked nearly 100 times over the past two seasons; leading to many of the injuries you don't hear him talk about.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    And if he was asked what he wants and named a "tall receiver", that actually shows a lot of character as he likely should have said, "An entirely different offensive line." He's been sacked nearly 100 times over the past two seasons; leading to many of the injuries you don't hear him talk about.
    He holds onto the ball a LONG time. That's his game and it's going to cause him to take sacks he shouldn't. It also is going to allow him to make plays that other Qb's couldn't. Ben isn't exactly the best at going through progressions and quickly making decisions. If he 3 step drops and gets rid of the ball it's usually to a clearly intended WR or a back. That said you know way more about the Steelers Oline than I do. I suppose that the struggles there haven't helped with a player that already hates to give up on plays. Was there major injuries this year? I honestly don't remember.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Ben didn't switch to QB until his senior year in high school. Before that he was (guess what?)........ a wide receiver. So at 6" 5" and 241 lbs, maybe he should become that tall receiver he craves?

People can say what they want about Ben - I remember when similar things were said about another Steeler QB named Bradshaw - but in his 4 years in the NFL, he has an overall QB Rating of 92.5 (2007 was his best at 104.1), he threw for 32 TDs in '07 (another career high), and has taken his team to the post-season three of those four years ('04, 05, 07), and they won a Super Bowl in 2005. He struggled with injury in the '06 season, and IMO the motorcycle accident prior to the season contributed to that.

Yes, in that Super Bowl, Ben had the lowest rating for a Super Bowl winning QB; but I still don't think it overshadows what this guy has accomplished in his young career to date.

Won the worst officiated super bowl ever if I might add.

The D has taken him to the playoffs, not the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Was there major injuries this year? I honestly don't remember.
    Ben played the final Jags game with a bum ankle (from the St. Louis turf-fest) and a hurting shoulder. That's the extent of the issues we actually knew about.

I'm not suggesting that's the reason he played poorly in the first half of the Jags game; only that he didn't "play up" either of those issues in the slightest.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Won the worst officiated super bowl ever if I might add.

The D has taken him to the playoffs, not the other way around.
    First, the only call the officials actually got wrong that went the Steelers' way was the personal foul against the Seattle QB.

Secondly, Roethisberger set Steeler records this season offensively. The defense was very overrated this year and their numbers were bolstered by a pretty soft schedule to start off the year and a couple games played in muck. By the end of the season, the Steelers were generating no pass rush and they gave up big plays in bunches.

Ben did more than his part in 2008.

--Ted Williams

Turn Off Ads?