Turn Off Ads?
Page 32 of 83 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Re: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    He played LF in the opening series at GABP.
    Did he play it well though?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    During the game last night, the Giants announcers said Walt told them he didn't plan on making any trades becasue "the guys (we're) getting back are better than anyone (we) could trade for."

Not sure how much I believe that, but that's what they said.
    This is actually really good news because it is info directly from Walt that he still expects (all?) our injured guys to come back and contribute.

Does anyone actually think Alfonso Soriano is a good target for this team? He's the epitome of a hacktastic hitter with bad defense. Frankly, I'd much rather have Chris Heisey. At least he's a hacktastic hitter with decent defense (and his OBP is markedly better than Soriano's too).

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Does anyone actually think Alfonso Soriano is a good target for this team? He's the epitome of a hacktastic hitter with bad defense. Frankly, I'd much rather have Chris Heisey. At least he's a hacktastic hitter with decent defense (and his OBP is markedly better than Soriano's too).
    Besides, it looks like Soriano is going to the Yankees.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...medium=twitter

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Absolutely agree. If someone wants Soriano here, I guessing it's cause they must think it's 2007. His defense is awful and prefer Heisey also.

7. Likes:

RedEye (07-23-2013)

I suspect that, when he comes off the DL, Bourjos can be had fairly cheap. He's a spare OF for the Angels. Whether he should be is immaterial. They play him like a spare OF.

The Padres have multiple OFs to deal. Quentin is highest profile of the bunch, but guys like Blanks, Venable and Denorfia all might flourish if they get out of Petco.

In terms of trade bait, I'd offer Jesse Winker. Yorman Rodriguez and Phillip Ervin likely have jumped ahead of him on the team prospect list, but he's the kind of young bat a rebuilding club will covet. It would be nice to have an advanced arm to deal, but Daniel Corcino has screwed that up mightily. With the miserable season he's having, he's nothing more than a throw-in for a deal at the moment.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I covet Jesse Winker. I really don't want to trade him, and the fact that he is at A ball means he is likely a piece of a large expensive package.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

10. Likes:

joshua (07-23-2013),OnBaseMachine (07-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I covet Jesse Winker. I really don't want to trade him, and the fact that he is at A ball means he is likely a piece of a large expensive package.
    I agree with you. I like to compare this team to the Big Red Machine (my dad loves them so I have come to too) because we have a lot of good core guys. But what made the BRM complete was the trades to get Morgan, Geronimo, and Foster. I would rather us hang on to our prospects until we know for certain what our rotation, CF, and LF will look like come the winter meetings. I would rather us package them all up in a big trade or two to get those finals pieces we need to have a great eight or nine players at every position.
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I doubt the Reds will be making any momentous moves (e.g. for Giancarlo).

The Reds will be picking up lower cost, distressed inventory items. And for that purpose, Winker might be a workable piece. I like him a lot too and I wouldn't be eager to move him, but if the Reds have to part with a good prospect, which isn't a terribly long list for the organization at this moment, then Winker would be my pick.

Like I said above, I really wish Corcino wasn't circling the bowl, but he is.

Having seen Winker live. I am just saying I would not trade him for anything short of an impact guy, and because he is at A ball he would be more of a throw in than a core piece. I realize that you have to trade something to get something. I just don't think Winker has the value today, in the trade market, that he will in two years. He has the approach that this organization has lacked over the last 25 years. I have come to think of him as a slightly less athletic Nick Markakis type. The Reds could use one of those.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

14. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-23-2013),joshua (07-23-2013)

I think I'd trade Yorman before Winker, mainly because I think he has more boom-or-bust potential. If some team gets really bullish on him, he is likely to carry higher trade value than Winker. So if you think of players' trade values in terms of sharpe's ratio, I think Yorman is a better trade candidate than Winker.

Unless we are acquiring a player of Rios potential (obviously including superstars like Stanton and Bautista), I would prefer to trade guys who rank 7-20 on the prospects list. In other words, the Donald Lutzes, Daniel Corcinos, Chad Rogerses, Carlos Contrerases, Junior Ariases, and Ismael Guillons of the world before I'd want to trade Winker, Ervin or Yorman. I realize they would net less of a return, but if we're not shooting for guys like Rios, we're targeting less of a return anyway.

I would trade Yorman or Travieso (or maybe even both) for Rios, especially if the Sox would cover a chunk of the salary and/or kick in one of their relievers.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I think I'd trade Yorman before Winker, mainly because I think he has more boom-or-bust potential. If some team gets really bullish on him, he is likely to carry higher trade value than Winker. So if you think of players' trade values in terms of sharpe's ratio, I think Yorman is a better trade candidate than Winker.

Unless we are acquiring a player of Rios potential (obviously including superstars like Stanton and Bautista), I would prefer to trade guys who rank 7-20 on the prospects list. In other words, the Donald Lutzes, Daniel Corcinos, Chad Rogerses, Carlos Contrerases, Junior Ariases, and Ismael Guillons of the world before I'd want to trade Winker, Ervin or Yorman. I realize they would net less of a return, but if we're not shooting for guys like Rios, we're targeting less of a return anyway.

I would trade Yorman or Travieso (or maybe even both) for Rios, especially if the Sox would cover a chunk of the salary and/or kick in one of their relievers.
    Rios has been back in the tank since Memorial Day. I am not sure he does much good, over what the Reds already have.

EDIT I see that he has been hot since his little benching.
    Last edited by LoganBuck; 07-23-2013 at 03:10 PM.

I'm guessing Travieso is going to need to pitch a whole lot better before the Reds can trade him for another human with a pulse.

I can see the argument for moving Yorman before Winker, but I'd rather keep the higher risk-reward.

Serious question, are the Reds' current 7-20 prospects worth much of anything?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'm guessing Travieso is going to need to pitch a whole lot better before the Reds can trade him for another human with a pulse.

I can see the argument for moving Yorman before Winker, but I'd rather keep the higher risk-reward.

Serious question, are the Reds' current 7-20 prospects worth much of anything?
    Not unless you like your odds at the lottery. They have a bunch of maybes. Maybe Seth Meijas Brean keeps it up, maybe Junior Arias is putting it together, maybe Tucker Barnhart can hit enough, maybe maybe maybe.

Heisey has come back, reborn seemingly. Frazier in July: .269 .333 .442 .775, but white hot since the ASB... .364 .417 .545 .962 plus he plays great defense. LF defense has not really been an issue this year either.

So ride Heisey or trade for a bat. Quentin is the only LF bat on the market I'd want, and the Padres might bite on Yorman + an arm. Only loyalty to Ludwick could prevent a deal. And Jocketty's words in SF seem to indicate that.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?