Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Was the astro safe at home??

Was the astro safe at home??

The guy that was trying to score a inside the park HR, was he safe or out?? It looked like our catcher was just a hair late BUT he could have barely hit the guys jersey.If he did then he was out but it looked to me like he beat the tag.

Reds win reds win reds win!!
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Was the astro safe at home??

The angles shown on Sportscenter made it appear Chad M. applied a phantom tag after the runner had passed by him. The ump also wasn't in the best natural position to make the call, but I'll take the win either way!

Quote Originally Posted by KYRed View Post
    The angles shown on Sportscenter made it appear Chad M. applied a phantom tag after the runner had passed by him. The ump also wasn't in the best natural position to make the call, but I'll take the win either way!
    After the bad start we have gotten off to we deserve some calls to go our way.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

It looked like he was safe -- but the one thing that I didn't see was the runner objecting in any way shape or form to the call. He didn't dispute it at all -- and I find that even more odd given the importance at that point in time. I have to feel that if the tag was not applied he would have said smething instead of going straight back to the dugout.

Senor Votto

If your asking a bunch of Reds fans the answer is of course he wasn't safe.

I think he was safe, but I also think Hopper was safe when he was trying to steal second in the eighth. In both situations, the throw beat the runner, but the tag wasn't applied before the runner got to the base. It seems to me that 9 times out of 10 when the throw beats the runner, the runner gets called out regardless.

Looked like he was safe to me from most of the angles I saw. I thought Hopper was out, though.

Did anyone see the Phillies/Marlins game the other day? The throw beat Hanley Ramirez home by about 10 steps but insted of blocking the plate the catcher kinda stood up to brace himself for a collision and Ramirez slid right underneath him.

Figure the odds of this. Two games and two (probable) inside-the-park homers turned into outs simply because the umpire did not get the best look at the play. I am not blaming the umpire because both were tough calls. But I am glad both calls went in favor of the good guys.

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    Looked like he was safe to me from most of the angles I saw. I thought Hopper was out, though.
    Hopper may have been out, but I thought he split the tag with his hands and touched the base before he was tagged on the shoulder. That being said, I had no delusions that he would be called safe because the throw beat him so bad.

Turn Off Ads?