Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wal-Mart, Target, or Kmart?

Re: Wal-Mart, Target, or Kmart?

Quote Originally Posted by rdiersin View Post
    May I ask why? Personally I am going the opposite direction and trying to get most of my groceries from farmer's markets, though that may be a bit more difficult when I move to Evansville in a few weeks. But I do like small local grocers too. Walmart is just a bit too big for me and oddly enough, never seem to have what I want.
    I was kidding about that second part, I think what I said is as silly as someone saying they "refuse to shop at Wal-Mart."

I've got several family members and friends who support their immediate family by working at Wal-Mart, and when I was in high school my dad lost his job and my mom went to work at Wal-Mart for a few years to get us through. She still talks very highly of her time working there.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I was kidding about that second part, I think what I said is as silly as someone saying they "refuse to shop at Wal-Mart."

I've got several family members and friends who support their immediate family by working at Wal-Mart, and when I was in high school my dad lost his job and my mom went to work at Wal-Mart for a few years to get us through. She still talks very highly of her time working there.
    Thanks, that's a pretty good reason to shop at a place. Funny enough, my uncle worked at a walmart once. It lasted I think three days. I can't figure it out, he would have made the perfect greeter. He has the personality, but I guess they didn't want someone who looked like the guy from the bitter beer face ads from Keystone greeting their customers. Go figure.

Oh, and I kid not about looking like the bitter beer face guy.

None of the above here either for the most part. Then again I am someone with no children yet and I prefer organic produce and toiletries etc.., so I don't mind paying a few cents more for things that are better for the environment and don't abuse animals. I just have a big conscious these days about putting so many chemicals and poor quality food stuffs in my body. The alcohol on weekends is bad enough for me.

I refuse to shop at Wal-Mart and never will again. I've gone to the local K-Mart to pick up a back pack or a keyboard here and there though.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post

Why is that silly to refuse to shop there? I can shop where I want, and refuse to shop where I want. It's America baby.

Having stated before that my employer is a major underwear manufacturer, I am still amazed at just how much power WalMart as a corporation wields. I'm sure it is true in other industries as well. WalMart makes up more than half of our sales each year, so our company pretty much bows down to whatever WalMart wants, and I see examples of this on a daily basis. They have tremendous power and they utilize it....sometimes to a sickening degree. I don't agree with a lot of their business practices, but if you don't try to please them from a supplier standpoint, then you will be driven out of competition in a heartbeat. Sam Walton created a true monster.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    Why is that silly to refuse to shop there? I can shop where I want, and refuse to shop where I want. It's America baby.
    Yep. And can I think something is silly if I want. It's America baby.

But seriously I don't care if you don't want to shop there. I shop where it's convenient for me, right now where I live that's Wal-Mart. Generally I wouldn't go out of my way to shop at Wal-Mart, but I wouldn't go out of my way not to shop at a certain place either.
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 07-26-2007 at 06:29 PM.

DP

Quote Originally Posted by MrsHammer View Post
    Having stated before that my employer is a major underwear manufacturer, I am still amazed at just how much power WalMart as a corporation wields. I'm sure it is true in other industries as well. WalMart makes up more than half of our sales each year, so our company pretty much bows down to whatever WalMart wants, and I see examples of this on a daily basis. They have tremendous power and they utilize it....sometimes to a sickening degree. I don't agree with a lot of their business practices, but if you don't try to please them from a supplier standpoint, then you will be driven out of competition in a heartbeat. Sam Walton created a true monster.
    You are fooling yourself if you think WalMart is the only large corporation to operate like this, and somehow they have a corner on the practice. Ford, GM, Boeing, Microsoft, John Deer. Any big company will use their buying power to demand concessions from their suppliers. This isn't something new to the business world or an evil that WalMart invented.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 07-26-2007 at 03:34 PM.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Whoever has what I need for the lowest price.

Although, I do buy most of my produce from either the farm stand on the way home (when in season) or a local produce market as the stuff is generall better and less expensive.
    Last edited by deltachi8; 07-26-2007 at 03:36 PM.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

We shop at Walmat and Target, although not regularly. Mostly it's commodity stuff, or some spur of the moment item. Not particular loyalty or amimosity towards them.

Never shop at Kmart. There was one over on old 28 in Milford, but I'm not even sure it's open anymore.

Most of the food comes from Aldi, Savealot, Biggs or occasionally Krogers. Lots of the tolietries come from Dollar General or a simular store.

Big Lots are hit and miss. I've been to some that are actually clean, organized and well stocked. Others are one step above "garage sale" in terms of organization and neatness.

Bi-Mart

Worker owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    You are fooling yourself if you think WalMart is the only large corporation to operate like this, and somehow they have a corner on the practice. Ford, GM, Boeing, Microsoft, John Deer. Any big company will use their buying power to demand concessions from their suppliers. This isn't something new to the business world or an evil that WalMart invented.
    Yes, I'm sure that you are correct. I'm only speaking of my experience in the basic apparel industry. I would think, however, that WalMart has this same effect on many industries due to their broad product scope. Most of those other companies are somewhat more limited in the industries that they touch.

I don't really have a store that I go to exclusively. I used to go to Kmart a lot when I lived close to one, but I don't really go there much now. They just built a huge wal mart 10 minutes away from me, and I do go there occasionally. Products for around the house are usually bought at Target, do my grocery shopping at either meijer, kroger, or wal mart.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    well I hope the Big Lots where you are is betting than the ones here in Oregon. I went there a few months ago and felt like I was looking through the dumpster behind Kmart.
    Ours is actually really nice. I've heard a couple people talk about how others are really nasty and dirty. They were referring to one in Indianapolis.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Ours is actually really nice. I've heard a couple people talk about how others are really nasty and dirty. They were referring to one in Indianapolis.
    The ones out here make Odd Lots look like Macy's.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Turn Off Ads?