Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jocketty: Rolen will not be attending Reds' camp

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Jocketty: Rolen will not be attending Reds' camp

I went home sick from work, and Mo said that Dusty said Walt would have an announcement about Rolen today.

Has anyone heard anything yet?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rolen update???

Mo later said Walt mentioned he's involved in arbitration matters all day and would not be announcing anything today.

4. Likes:

smith288 (02-11-2013)

Is anyone else tired of this silly drama? Just make a decision already. I'm at the point now where I hope he retires. Anytime one players decisions start to be more newsworthy than the team, it shows me that player needs to go.

Rolen was a great benefit to this organization. We received 3 years of "player by example" and I'm sure the kids have learned. But taking 4 months plus to make a decision that you by all accounts already made is ridiculous.

Let it go Scotty.

6. Likes:

RedEye (02-12-2013),remdog (02-12-2013),Spider Tre (02-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post
    Is anyone else tired of this silly drama? Just make a decision already. I'm at the point now where I hope he retires. Anytime one players decisions start to be more newsworthy than the team, it shows me that player needs to go.

Rolen was a great benefit to this organization. We received 3 years of "player by example" and I'm sure the kids have learned. But taking 4 months plus to make a decision that you by all accounts already made is ridiculous.

Let it go Scotty.
    Beyond tired of this. I was indifferent about Rolen returning three months ago. Now I don't want him. Move on.

This team doesn't need distractions.

I'm guessing he's made his decision, and the Reds are waiting for PR reasons.

Rumor has it Scotty has hired a new personal advisor who is helping him handle his decisions on whether or not to call it a day.

Last edited by The Operator; 02-12-2013 at 12:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

10. Likes:

Brisco (02-12-2013),Dom Heffner (02-12-2013),Edd Roush (02-12-2013),George Anderson (02-12-2013),RedEye (02-12-2013),Spider Tre (02-12-2013)

How much of this dilemma is driven by Scott taking a called third strike to possibly end his career. I know personally something so small could drive me nuts...

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post
    How much of this dilemma is driven by Scott taking a called third strike to possibly end his career. I know personally something so small could drive me nuts...
    I think had Scott got a game winning hit he would have hung it up.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I think had Scott got a game winning hit he would have hung it up.
    I think it's the hit, but even more than that the error on a tough play he normally makes, that allowed the Giants to score the winning run in the top of the 10th. Not the way a borderline HOF player wants to remember the game, I suspect.

Reds ‏@Reds

Reds President of Baseball Operations and GM Walt Jocketty said of 3B Scott Rolen, who will not be attending camp with the Reds...

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    Reds ‏@Reds

Reds President of Baseball Operations and GM Walt Jocketty said of 3B Scott Rolen, who will not be attending camp with the Reds...
    guessing that means he's either retiring or he won't be in a Reds uniform this season (be with a different team if he play this season)

Rolen is not the answer at 3B for the Reds ... but I'm not counting on Frazier to be much better. Frazier is better suited to be a utility player.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

From Sheldon:
    Scott Rolen has decided not to return to the Reds for this season, the club announced Tuesday afternoon.

“Scott made significant contributions to our team’s recent success, and it isn’t a coincidence we made the playoffs in two of his three full seasons here,” Reds GM Walt Jocketty said in a statement. “He made a huge impact in Cincinnati with his work ethic and leadership on the field, in the clubhouse and in our community.”…

Rolen also issued a statement through the team: “Right now I’m simply not ready to make a commitment. I would like to leave my options open, without closing any doors. I am looking forward to all of the challenges, both personally and professionally, I will face in the future.”

Rolen, who will turn 38 on April 4, batted .245 with eight home runs and 39 RBIs in 92 games last season. He missed 34 games with a left shoulder injury and several more with back problems. He earned $6.5 million in 2012 in the final season of a three-year contract and was widely expected to retire.

The Reds had in essence already moved on from Rolen by naming Todd Frazier as the everyday third baseman early in the off-season. The club also signed free agent Jack Hannahan as a backup third baseman and infielder.

I still look for him to make a run at a June arrival, or perhaps be ready for any injuries along the way.

Turn Off Ads?