20 62.50%
  • The Field

12 37.50%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Tiger or the field?

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Tiger or the field?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Looks like taking the field was a good bet. Guess there won't be any grand slam for Tiger this year.
    36 holes left. A lot of golf to be played.

But you could be absolutely right. From what I've seen of Tiger, it seems like he's trying not to make bogeys, rather than playing his normal game.

Tentative Tiger won't win this Masters.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    36 holes left. A lot of golf to be played.

But you could be absolutely right. From what I've seen of Tiger, it seems like he's trying not to make bogeys, rather than playing his normal game.

Tentative Tiger won't win this Masters.
    The problem with Tiger is that he didn't play a bad first two days in a major. -1 heading into saturday isn't all that bad but there are so many people in between Tiger and the leader at -8 it will be a daunting task for him to come back.

Mickelson is in a good spot right now, and I'd like it if Flesch made a little noise. Is the course soft? It seems like guys are being pretty aggressive.

I get a little tired of all the coverage focusing first on where Tiger is rather than who is leading. I'd rather see good golf than him not playing well. Don't get me wrong- he can be mesmerizing, but I don't really need to see three snips in a row of him chunking the ball or hitting a drive into the pine straw when there have been some truly astounding shots made by other guys.

But I guess the golf industry has hitched it's cart to the cult of Tiger and is going to milk it for all it's worth.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I still think he can win, but I'm having my doubts. It's hard enough for him to shoot the rounds he needs to to get back into contention, but that's still no guarantee that the current leader isn't going to have teh same rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The problem with Tiger is that he didn't play a bad first two days in a major. -1 heading into saturday isn't all that bad but there are so many people in between Tiger and the leader at -8 it will be a daunting task for him to come back.
    I wish Tiger played the par 5s smarter so far. Many players this week have had a lot of under-par success by laying up and sticking their 3rd shot tight to give them a better chance at birdie, rather than bombing it twice and hoping you're close to the green. This is a case where Tiger's length is actually hurting him. He's so long that he's assuming it's a green light to go at every par 5 in two. Over the next 2 days, I hope he plays the 5s better, b/c he could easily make up 8 shots.

Augusta always has been, and always will be about placement and distance control. Tiger knows that, probably better than anyone, but it looks like his distance control is "just off". Augusta's such a tough track, that when your distance control is "just off", you're finding places on the course you'd never wanna be.

Tiger's also not making any putts. He missed 2 yesterday inside 6 feet. Sinking those two alon and he's be at -3.

I just think 7 strokes is too many especially when you look at the quality of the players in front of him. He could prove me wrong, but I hear the weather conditions are going to be tough over the weekend making it hard to make any birdies.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I wish Tiger played the par 5s smarter so far. Many players this week have had a lot of under-par success by laying up and sticking their 3rd shot tight to give them a better chance at birdie, rather than bombing it twice and hoping you're close to the green. This is a case where Tiger's length is actually hurting him. He's so long that he's assuming it's a green light to go at every par 5 in two. Over the next 2 days, I hope he plays the 5s better, b/c he could easily make up 8 shots.

Augusta always has been, and always will be about placement and distance control. Tiger knows that, probably better than anyone, but it looks like his distance control is "just off". Augusta's such a tough track, that when your distance control is "just off", you're finding places on the course you'd never wanna be.
    I figured you would appreciate this. My uncle was down at Augusta for the wednesday practice round. The first par 5 on the back #13 he watched Zack Johnson play. He hit his drive and unlike most players who hit a couple of shots at the green he layed up. When he got to the layup spot his caddy went ahead to each day's hole maker (marked with something resembling a tee) and shot a lazer to a sprinkler head that Johnson was standing on. I remember last year when he won the tourney he didn't go after the par 5's in 2 but layed up and attacked them with a wedge. I guess last year it worked out and this year not so much but I thought it was an interesting story none the less.

On a side note he said august had a drainage system under each green that allowed the greens keeper to draw as much water out of the green to make them hard and fast. I have a feeling that the greens today and tomorrow will be rock hard because the directors want the score to come back to par.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I figured you would appreciate this. My uncle was down at Augusta for the wednesday practice round. The first par 5 on the back #13 he watched Zack Johnson play. He hit his drive and unlike most players who hit a couple of shots at the green he layed up. When he got to the layup spot his caddy went ahead to each day's hole maker (marked with something resembling a tee) and shot a lazer to a sprinkler head that Johnson was standing on. I remember last year when he won the tourney he didn't go after the par 5's in 2 but layed up and attacked them with a wedge. I guess last year it worked out and this year not so much but I thought it was an interesting story none the less.

On a side note he said august had a drainage system under each green that allowed the greens keeper to draw as much water out of the green to make them hard and fast. I have a feeling that the greens today and tomorrow will be rock hard because the directors want the score to come back to par.
    You are correct.

Last year, Johnson layed up on every Par 5 each day. Looks like it worked for him!

You're also correct about Augusta's drainage system. The Super can control how much moisture is in the ground all over the course, and the reason the azaleas are already blooming is b/c there are heating coils under each bed. Augusta National is a very technology saavy agriculture experiment.

After each round at The Masters, the tournament and greens committee at Augusta National get together with the Super in an attempt to dictate play and a target score for the field. Nothing brings them greater satisfaction than a winning score of par or worse.

You are correct.

The Super can control how much moisture is in the ground all over the course, and the reason the azaleas are already blooming is b/c there are heating coils under each bed.
    The Greens, yes, but I think somebody's taking the rest of that one a little far.
    The azaleas bloom this time throughout the South, sans heaters. In fact, I just talked to my mom this morning- the Carolinas are awash in azaleas right now.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Man, Immelman has a great swing. I always knew he was good, but he has one of the best swings on tour. He's so solid, and i'd be surprised if doesn't hang on tomorrow.

Boy did lefty melt down in Mickelson fashion today after that ball hit the pin on that par 5. He went from probably a tap in birdie to a 3 putt bogey. He then proceeded to go on tilt and totally fall apart.

I agree with whoever said that Tiger should just stop being stubborn and be more willing to lay up on some of the par 5s. He's such a great wedge player (see #17 today) that I don't understand why he didn't just do that on #15 instead of trying to hit that extreme fade that wound up in the bunker.

If he was within 4, I might think he had a chance, but I think 6 is too much with 4 guys in front of him. I think it's going to be Immelman or Casey.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Man, Immelman has a great swing. I always knew he was good, but he has one of the best swings on tour. He's so solid, and i'd be surprised if doesn't hang on tomorrow.
    It's technically the best swing I've seen and I've seen a lot. I've been touting his swing for a couple of years now. His swing is damn near perfect. I love watching it. At impact and post-impact, the only player just as good that I've seen is Nick Price.

Boy did lefty melt down in Mickelson fashion today after that ball hit the pin on that par 5. He went from probably a tap in birdie to a 3 putt bogey. He then proceeded to go on tilt and totally fall apart.

I agree with whoever said that Tiger should just stop being stubborn and be more willing to lay up on some of the par 5s. He's such a great wedge player (see #17 today) that I don't understand why he didn't just do that on #15 instead of trying to hit that extreme fade that wound up in the bunker.

If he was within 4, I might think he had a chance, but I think 6 is too much with 4 guys in front of him. I think it's going to be Immelman or Casey.
    It could be a crazy day with the weather. Without inclement weather I don't think Tiger would have a chance. It's still a long-shot, but with him you never know. He's due to comeback and win a major. He's yet to do it, will today be the first? We'll see.

Immelman will be tough to beat today. His putter could hold him back. But his ball-striking is good enough to hit a lot of fairways and greens in bad weather. I'm hoping for an exciting finish with Trevor winning. What a great story that would be! He had a tumor a few months ago and now he's leading the Masters. Outstanding stuff right there.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    It's technically the best swing I've seen and I've seen a lot. I've been touting his swing for a couple of years now. His swing is damn near perfect. I love watching it. At impact and post-impact, the only player just as good that I've seen is Nick Price.

It could be a crazy day with the weather. Without inclement weather I don't think Tiger would have a chance. It's still a long-shot, but with him you never know. He's due to comeback and win a major. He's yet to do it, will today be the first? We'll see.

Immelman will be tough to beat today. His putter could hold him back. But his ball-striking is good enough to hit a lot of fairways and greens in bad weather. I'm hoping for an exciting finish with Trevor winning. What a great story that would be! He had a tumor a few months ago and now he's leading the Masters. Outstanding stuff right there.
    If it was 4 strokes or less, I'd give Tiger a chance, but 6 is a such a tough number without Greg Norman being the one in the lead.

Yeah, Immelman's swing looks technically flawless and even a total amateur like myself can see that. He's money off the tee. I've also really liked what I've seen of him in interviews and such. He's definitely a guy I wouldn't mind seeing emerge as a consistent contender in majors. And Ogilvy looks ready to really break out as well. I just want there to be more competition at the top so we can see some rivalries emerge and have a lot of exciting Sunday golf at the big tournaments.

Redhook, I'd love to play a round with you when I'm back in town.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post

That is a great story and there are a lot of nice stories out there this year, but the biggest and most Cinderella type story is one that I really haven't heard much about. 8 months ago Owen Wilson tried to kill himself and he had a jacked up nose. Now look at him. He's out of the hospital doing much better by all accounts, he's gotten his nose fixed and he's 2 shots back from the lead at the Masters, ON SUNDAY no less. I really hope he wins, but just him being out there is a victory in my book.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Owen Wilson? Did you mean Snedeker? He's the only guy two shots back.

Owen Wilson? Did you mean Snedeker? He's the only guy two shots back.
    Who?
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Turn Off Ads?