Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NY Times Article About Reds' Owners

NY Times Article About Reds' Owners

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/07/sp...bout-time.html

Please delete if this has been posted already.

Interesting article, with a quick shot to Dusty near the end. I didn't follow the team as closely as I do now during much of the Lindner years (grad school can be a little bit of a distraction), but I don't think this article is unfair in its assessment of him.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Re: NY Times Article About Reds' Owners

>>>> the prospects they traded for the young ace Mat Latos were too good. <<<<

Come again?
    Rounding third and heading for home...

4. Likes:

Tom Servo (07-07-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    >>>> the prospects they traded for the young ace Mat Latos were too good. <<<<

Come again?
    I think you can argue that and make a good point. I have said it before and will say it again, if almost any other team in baseball traded those exact players for Latos, they would have lost that trade. The Reds on the other hand were able to do it because most other teams didn't have both a Joey Votto and a Devin Mesoraco at their disposal. Most teams could have really used both a Grandal and Alonso on their team. The Reds, not so much.

In a sense, you could argue that the Reds overpaid if you ignore all else that they had. But if you don't ignore all that they had, the deal made perfect sense for the Reds.

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

The second sentence in the article reads:

"My father grew up in southern Indiana, rooting for the squad on the other side of the Ohio River, the Cincinnati Reds."

Good Grief! Every map I've ever looked at has Indiana (all of it) and Ohio (all of it) on the same side of the river.

7. Likes:

Always Red (07-08-2013),dubc47834 (07-09-2013),HeatherC1212 (07-08-2013),Wonderful Monds (07-07-2013)

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski View Post

"My father grew up in southern Indiana, rooting for the squad on the other side of the Ohio River, the Cincinnati Reds."

Good Grief! Every map I've ever looked at has Indiana (all of it) and Ohio (all of it) on the same side of the river.
    Topologically yes. Good catch. But he grew up in Dillsboro, Ind., and as the crow flies, you'd cross the river twice to get to Cincinnati. But he's not a crow, and maybe he's just wrong.

9. Likes:

Billy Hamilton's Legs (07-09-2013)

I'd say so far Castellini rates up there with some of the better owners in Reds' history: Crosley, Bill Dewitt, Sr. (Robinson trade aside, it was his buildup of the farm system that bore fruit during the BRM era), and the hands-off owners of the BRM era who let Bob Howsam work his magic. If Castellini can bring home a World Series title, it would definitely cement his legacy.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

11. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (07-08-2013),Revering4Blue (07-09-2013),Roy Tucker (07-09-2013)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I think you can argue that and make a good point. I have said it before and will say it again, if almost any other team in baseball traded those exact players for Latos, they would have lost that trade. The Reds on the other hand were able to do it because most other teams didn't have both a Joey Votto and a Devin Mesoraco at their disposal. Most teams could have really used both a Grandal and Alonso on their team. The Reds, not so much.

In a sense, you could argue that the Reds overpaid if you ignore all else that they had. But if you don't ignore all that they had, the deal made perfect sense for the Reds.
    All deals in the real baseball world are based, pretty much, on what you have and don't have.

If that's what the author was trying to say, he didn't make the point clearly.

That's been a great deal for the Reds in every sense of the word.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

I'll take the dollar (Latos) over four quarters any day of the week, regardless of the situation. The Reds gave up an average to below average ML 1B, a potentially above average C, an expensive #4 SP and a RP prospect to get four years of a #1 - #2 SP at a well below market value costs, I find it hard to believe that there are many teams that would have taken the deal and felt like they lost.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    I'll take the dollar (Latos) over four quarters any day of the week, regardless of the situation. The Reds gave up an average to below average ML 1B, a potentially above average C, an expensive #4 SP and a RP prospect to get four years of a #1 - #2 SP at a well below market value costs, I find it hard to believe that there are many teams that would have taken the deal and felt like they lost.
    you're probably right, but Alonso still has a few pre-FA years to exceed that prediction. Even if he becomes an allstar 1B, Latos has been good enough that the Reds will be able to justify the trade.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Topologically yes. Good catch. But he grew up in Dillsboro, Ind., and as the crow flies, you'd cross the river twice to get to Cincinnati. But he's not a crow, and maybe he's just wrong.
    The best way to get to the stadium from out that way is crossing 275 into Kentucky and then 75 into downtown Cincinnati. You can take River Road (US 50) and not cross the river, but it is way slower. I could see how someone could get that confused. When I first started driving at 16, my parents didn't want me on the interstates at first. I actually listened and would go River Road to Reds games. Potholes, narrow roads, and stop lights galore.

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski View Post

The quote has now been changed to read:

"My father grew up in southern Indiana, rooting for the squad on the other side of the Ohio border, the Cincinnati Reds."

Hey, New York Times, better late than never, I guess.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

That story about the players going for burgers after winning the World Series will never not make me cringe. How far we've come.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    That story about the players going for burgers after winning the World Series will never not make me cringe. How far we've come.
    And of course we should keep in mind that Marge refused to pay Eric Davis' airfare back to Cincinnati after he spent some time in an Oakland hospital after lacerating his kidney in Game 4 of the 1990 World Series.

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Here's my favorite:

In the late 80's Eric Davis cut a deal with one of the local BMW car dealers, he got a free car to cruise around town in and the dealership would be allowed to mention that in radio ads. When Marge heard about it she pitched a fit, a big enough one that it became a big stink and she coerced ED to return the car and she would give him a Corvette to drive around in. Begrudgingly he did just that.

She later sent him a bill for the full cost of the vehicle.

20. Likes:

NebraskaRed (07-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Here's my favorite:

In the late 80's Eric Davis cut a deal with one of the local BMW car dealers, he got a free car to cruise around town in and the dealership would be allowed to mention that in radio ads. When Marge heard about it she pitched a fit, a big enough one that it became a big stink and she coerced ED to return the car and she would give him a Corvette to drive around in. Begrudgingly he did just that.

She later sent him a bill for the full cost of the vehicle.
    Marge was such a sweetheart.
    Wasn't Eric one of the Reds players whom she called a "million dollar ******"?
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?