Turn Off Ads?
Page 65 of 68 FirstFirst ... 15556162636465666768 LastLast

Thread: What was the most recent movie I've watched? (Part 2)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: What was the most recent movie I've watched? (Part 2)

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Saw the english version of The Girl With a Dragon Tattoo last night. Thought they did a really good job. I really enjoyed the books and watched the original Swedish ones with subtitles. I thought this one was better. I like Daniel Craig and thought he did a really good job as Blomkvist and the girl who played Lisbeth also did a really good job.

There was one twist in the end that was different than the book or the other movie. I didn't love it, but it didn't make much difference.
    I thought Dragon Tattoo was good, but I felt like the film was extremely disjointed in it's construction. Without getting too spoiler-y, I enjoyed the main narrative with Daniel Craig and his investigation, but intercutting that with break scenes of Lisbeth and what she goes through independent of all that felt very disjointed.

I felt like I was watching a murder mystery that had been spliced with a snuff film.

Admittedly, I have zero familiarity with the books in this series. And, frankly, after watching the movie, I really don't have a great desire to go and read them if the contents are as brutal as what was depicted on screen.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I thought Dragon Tattoo was good, but I felt like the film was extremely disjointed in it's construction. Without getting too spoiler-y, I enjoyed the main narrative with Daniel Craig and his investigation, but intercutting that with break scenes of Lisbeth and what she goes through independent of all that felt very disjointed.

I felt like I was watching a murder mystery that had been spliced with a snuff film.

Admittedly, I have zero familiarity with the books in this series. And, frankly, after watching the movie, I really don't have a great desire to go and read them if the contents are as brutal as what was depicted on screen.
    Haven't seen the movie yet, but you pretty well descibe the book. There's some stuff in the book that is flat out brutal. Just started the 3rd book in the series the other day, looking forward to seeing the movie.

edit: Thought i should add, those scenes help set up book 2 and explain how Lisbeth got to be the way she was.
    Last edited by medford; 12-28-2011 at 10:24 AM.

Went with others to We Bought a Zoo last week. Some people like it. Honestly, if you've ever seen a movie before you could write every scene before seeing it. Too treacly, too fictionalized. Some good performances, but John Michael Higgins' zoo inspector was so cartoonish it took you out of the movie. Very disappointing.

I saw Ghost Protocol over the weekend. It was awesome.

One person's list of the top 50 movies of 2011.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/l...s-of-2011.html

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    Went with others to We Bought a Zoo last week. Some people like it. Honestly, if you've ever seen a movie before you could write every scene before seeing it. Too treacly, too fictionalized. Some good performances, but John Michael Higgins' zoo inspector was so cartoonish it took you out of the movie. Very disappointing.
    Cameron Crowe has lost the touch.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Cameron Crowe has lost the touch.
    I was going to post that he hadn't made a good movie since "Vanilla Sky" -- but I checked on IMDB and realized that "We Bought a Zoo" is only his second movie SINCE "Vanilla Sky."
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Saw Midnight in Paris last night. Thought it was great..

I loved that movie.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

La Dolce Vita

got "midnight in paris" and "tree of life" from netflix currently..want to save the woody allen for new year's eve....can't wait..

"water for elephants" is a nice movie.
    teach tolerance.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Sherlock Holmes 2 over the weekend. I really enjoyed it.

Watched Bridesmaids with the wife the other day. There were some really funny scenes in that movie. Overall, I liked it.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetstop View Post
    got "midnight in paris" and "tree of life" from netflix currently..want to save the woody allen for new year's eve....can't wait..
    finally watched both over the weekend...two of my favorite movies of 2011.
    teach tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetstop View Post
    finally watched both over the weekend...two of my favorite movies of 2011.
    Can you explain what you liked about Tree of Life? I thought it was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. It seemed like a pretentious film school project with a big budget.

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Can you explain what you liked about Tree of Life? I thought it was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. It seemed like a pretentious film school project with a big budget.
    I thought it was a good film. It was like a tranquil, reflective walk by yourself. Slow, introspective, gave you room to think of your own memories as you watched. I would not recommend watching it with others or when you are in the mood for an action movie.

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    besides the beautiful production values, i know my husband and i both said it took us back to our own childhoods during that same period. as parent and g-parent, i thought the naturalness of the scenes with the babies and children were lovely and spot on and made me cry...which i tend to do more as i get older..then of course all of the questions to and about god, which everyone has..i will say i did like the "family" movie better than the "creation" movie.

i know people tend to either really like it or really don't, and i can understand how it can hit you either way. but i tend to enjoy malick's rare movies, and this is no exception.
    teach tolerance.

Turn Off Ads?