Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Best Baseball Movies/Docs

Re: Best Baseball Movies/Docs

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Did ya catch Amigos? Curious what others thought. Not met many who have actually seen it; it didn't get very wide distribution, I don't think.
    Haven't seen it yet.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I started watching 4192, but found the period costumes and the casting of Gérard Depardieu in the lead to be so disconcerting that I turned it off.

And then I realized I had reversed a couple of the numbers.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

4. Likes:

Boss-Hog (06-04-2013),gilpdawg (06-05-2013),JayBruceFan (09-19-2014),NebraskaRed (06-04-2013),RichRed (06-05-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (06-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Sayles is an absolute favorite of mine. In fact the best baseball movie never made would be an adaptation of Sayles' book "Pride of the Bimbos."

Well, that and the "Iowa Baseball Conferderacy," but Sayles could get Peter Dinklage an Oscar if he did "Bimbos."
    Love that book
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Surprised by all the love for Moneyball. Maybe I need to watch it again because I thought it was pretty bad.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Surprised by all the love for Moneyball. Maybe I need to watch it again because I thought it was pretty bad.
    If you compare it to the book, it is. It's a lot better if you look at it as its own thing.

The Stratton Story - pretty good Jimmy Stewart movie

It Happens Every Spring - Ray Milland as a college professor that comes up with the ultimate doctored pitch.

Fear Strikes Out - Anthony Perkins is believable as a struggling Jimmy Piersall but not so much as a ballplayer.

The Rookie - Dennis Quaid in the story of Jim Morris. Well-told tale.

Field of Dreams and Bull Durham are my favorites though.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    And I've wanted to see 4192. Is the soundtrack Pollard solo, or is it Guided By Voices, or both?
    Pollard on his own. I think it might have been the last major thing he did before they announced the reunion. It fits really well. Pollard's skill with the lo-fi anthem combined with Pete's story and persona give the movie a pitch perfect level of Dirtbag Majesty.

If your local Kroger is anything like mine, they have a display of Reds crap somewhere in the front of the store. T-shirts, beer cozies, decks of cards, and the like.... I check it about once a month to see if there's ever anything new, cool, or deeply discounted. Can't have too many beer cozies. And every time, the same 3 copies of "4192" on DVD are sitting there. So it should be pretty easy to get, and cheap to boot (like $6 or so).

Rick

10. Likes:

OGB (06-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I started watching 4192, but found the period costumes and the casting of Gérard Depardieu in the lead to be so disconcerting that I turned it off.

He couldn't be much worse as Rose than Columbus.

That Virginia Madsen movie mentioned earlier I believe was called "The Sluggers Wife" It's worth watching for more than Teller talk: Madsen's bare behind. Quite jaw dropping!

2 movies I loved as a kid but can't STAND now: Bendix's Babe Ruth, and Dan Dailey's "Pride of St. Louis"....both pure rubbish.

My fave would have to be Field of dreams, which is not really a sports movie at all. (not that I ever understood JD Salinger, mind you)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    The Rookie - Dennis Quaid in the story of Jim Morris. Well-told tale.
    I agree, good movie for the kids as well. Bull Durham is my favorite, but the language is a bit salty.

"Crash must have called him a **********"

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    If you compare it to the book, it is. It's a lot better if you look at it as its own thing.
    Which really should be the way any film adaptation is approached IMO. I was expecting Moneyball to be cringeworthy, but it is good Hollywood hokum.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

14. Likes:

marcshoe (06-05-2013),NebraskaRed (06-05-2013),Tom Servo (06-05-2013)

I realize this is a smaller pool of stuff and not as accessible, but has anyone ever seen or read a really great baseball play? I've always been surprised that baseball hasn't had more of a place in theater given what I see as its inherent theatricality (the movement, some of the language), but I see or read just about every play related to baseball I hear of and very little has ever struck me. Take me out is a decent play with some lovely baseball-centered monologues, but it's not really *about* baseball. August Wilson's Fences is probably the best one that I know of. That's a pretty short list.

And no, I've never seen Damn Yankees. that's one that I missed.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post

Annnnnnd.....soda out the nose.

17. Likes:

dougdirt (06-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I realize this is a smaller pool of stuff and not as accessible, but has anyone ever seen or read a really great baseball play? I've always been surprised that baseball hasn't had more of a place in theater given what I see as its inherent theatricality (the movement, some of the language), but I see or read just about every play related to baseball I hear of and very little has ever struck me. Take me out is a decent play with some lovely baseball-centered monologues, but it's not really *about* baseball. August Wilson's Fences is probably the best one that I know of. That's a pretty short list.

My father's in a production of Damn Yankees this summer (his wife's directing.) I haven't seen it, though.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post

This isn't going to be too much help to you, but I know I saw a play while I was in college that took place at a baseball game. Problem is I can't remember the title. I remember the set being bleachers, and 3 or 4 guys were attending the game. One of them might have had a glove.

Not much help, I know

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    This isn't going to be too much help to you, but I know I saw a play while I was in college that took place at a baseball game. Problem is I can't remember the title. I remember the set being bleachers, and 3 or 4 guys were attending the game. One of them might have had a glove.

Not much help, I know
    Sounds like it really made an impression, eh?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

21. Likes:

NebraskaRed (06-05-2013)

Turn Off Ads?