Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite Cincinnati Restaurants

Re: Your Favorite Cincinnati Restaurants

My old Dayton standbys are The Pine Club, Paragon, and Oakwood Club. Hard to go wrong.

Pine Club takes no reservations and cash only. So I think I’ve always been 3/4 drunk by the time I eat.

If you don’t mind the drive, The Winds up in Yellow Springs is really good. Watch out for the mushrooms though. ;-)
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Likes:

Gunner44 (01-30-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It varies greatly. Walt's is the rubbed type, I think St Louis is the term. It is tough coming off the bone. Mt Inn is slow cooked and falls right off the bone. Eli's is also slow cooked and is a casual joint.
    Thanks SeaRay. Is it pork or beef? I live in NC, and BBQ to us is whole hog cooked over wood, usually chopped but some people prefer pulled with a vinegar based sauce-its my preference when I think of bbq but I am obviously biased as that's what I grew up on. I do like other styles I have tried throughout the country though.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    Thanks SeaRay. Is it pork or beef? I live in NC, and BBQ to us is whole hog cooked over wood, usually chopped but some people prefer pulled with a vinegar based sauce-its my preference when I think of bbq but I am obviously biased as that's what I grew up on. I do like other styles I have tried throughout the country though.
    Pork at Walt's. Pontiac has both. Their pork belly is yummy and deadly. Beef brisket is pretty good too.

IHOP and Steak & Shake. This is based on numerous experiences. They're poorly run and poorly staffed. The food is pretty good especially for the price once you get it but management is a huge issue.
    Steak & Shake: The shakes are great. The steaks are lousy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Dayton:

Thai Nine
    Pine Club
    Hickory BBQ
    Coco’s
    El Meson
    Paragon Supper Club
    Pretty good list, probably what you'll see on my Dayton area recommendation lists. My thoughts:

Thai Nine is awesome, though I've never ventured beyond the Pad Thai and Sushi so I can't recommend any of their dishes beyond that (I've had several varieties of Sushi and they're all great)
    Hickory BBQ is great
    El Meson is ok

I love the Paragon Club. Its not as good as a Ruby's but its significantly cheaper. You mentioned planning on spending around $100 per person at a Ruby's restaraunt, which is pretty accurate from my experiences (and well worth it for the few special occasions we'll go there), you can get out of the Paragon for around $50 per person if you doing steak, a little less if you are getting something else. I'll often get their Pork Chops, which are fantastic, and since they give you two of them, I always have one left over for lunch the next day, Pork Chops, salad, potatoe, veggies and a beer or two will run you about $40 to $50 dollars.

I'll throw some others out there. For casual dinning, I've never had anything bad at Doubledays. They recently opened up a 2nd spot in Springboro, which is close to the Austin Landings exit, so easy access if you driving up for a Dragons game. Its in a spot that has failed several times over as different restaurants of different varieties, so we'll see how Double Day's does with this location. The original one that is been in the same spot in Centerville for close to 30 years now is almost always busy. Pizza (don't know if they have that at the Springboro location or not) is great and what I usually get, but I've tried well over 50% of their menu over the years and have never walked out dissapointed in my meal. For casual dining, they do it about as well as it can be done, soups, salads, sandwhiches, ribs, pizza, burgers...its all great.

Mama DiSalvo's in Kettering is my go to Italian joint. Their reservation system sucks (it basically saves you no time as if you just walked in and put your name in) so don't rely on that, but if you can catch it mid-week when its not as crowded its well worth it. Gnocchi with Sausage is my go-to, and we usually split the fried ravioli's as an app, but the lasagna, pizza, pasta, etc.. is all good. Their sub shop/market in the same strip center is pretty good as well if you are looking for a sub, but I wouldn't come all the way up from out of town for just a sub.

Milano's on Brown Street (and several other spots) is great, and easy to hit prior to a Dragon's game. I'll admit it has lost some of its 'charm' since I was in college at UD or in high school growing up when you'd walk in and feel that there was a reasonable chance you could get food poisoning, but the subs we're always great (especially at 2:00 am when the bars shut down). They've now torn down, rebuilt the location by UD so that it looks like a respectable casual dining restaurant and have expanded several similar designed restaurants around the area; may have one in the West Chester or Mason area, I can't recall.

Wheat Penny, as mentioned above is good.

Salar in the oregon District is awesome, though they recently had some sort of fire, so I'm not sure what they're operating schedule is like a the present. A little upscale and pricey.

Dublin Pub in the Oregon district is great.
    Arepas, columbian food on 3rd street downtown is great (I've only been to their store in Centerville, but I assume the food is the same)

In short, if you are heading to a Dragons game, there are plenty of solid dining choices in the area, both casual and moderately priced to something a little more high end.
    Posting in the clutch since twenty ought two.

Also, if you're into wine, the Wine Gallery in downtown Dayton has the best selection of wine I've seen in Ohio. They sell retail at state minimum, plus you can drink any bottle there for a $5 corkage. He has 50 wines by the glass and taste, and a full kitchen. There was no other place even close to it. Of all the wine I buy in Ohio, probably 95% of it is right there.

One other thing - for those of you who like the Paragon, there is another place in Moraine called Treasure Island that is a poor man's Paragon, but a lot of people swear by it. I've been a couple of times, and it isn't too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    One other thing - for those of you who like the Paragon, there is another place in Moraine called Treasure Island that is a poor man's Paragon, but a lot of people swear by it. I've been a couple of times, and it isn't too bad.
    My wife’s parents who lived in Kettering used to take us there a lot. Good food.

And yeah Milano’s. I never ate there sober for the longest time when it was a hole in the wall and it was the last stop after a Brown St bars outing. But it’s respectable now and yes, there is one close to Mason at Tylersville and 75.

And I meet my brother (who lived in Centerville) occasionally for dinner at Doubleday's. Good pub food.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Gunner, any gems you know of in Dayton? Anything worth the drive? Last time I went to a Dragon's game it was slim pickin's on where to go afterwards
    https://www.dayton.com/places/restau...YloO24PgLhWUL/

There's a new Lock 27 Brewing right outside Fifth Third Field. Definitely check them out. Great beer, even better food. Their wings are some of the best in the area. I've only been to the one in Centerville, but it's one of my personal favorites. Canal Street Arcade & Deli is a lot of fun. Bunkers, Taqueria Mixteca, Wheat Penny, Zombie Dogz, Dublin Pub, and Meadowlark are all great as well. I've heard amazing things about Watermark, too, but I've never personally been there. Used to be Nibbles, I believe.

Also, you can't not check out Bill's Donuts.
    Last edited by Ohayou; 01-30-2018 at 01:41 PM.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

I mentioned downtown Miamisburg before, but I'll give it more props. Unlike it's upscale cousins up around Austin Landing that is mainly chain restaurants, the downtown is completely the opposite and pretty awesome. Starting at Linden St, you have TJ Chumps, which is mostly bar food, but they have an awesome patio when the weather is nice. Across the street from that you have Taste of Wine, which is a wine retail/wine bar with a great patio, and they let you bring your own food ( i'll make up a bunch of sushi and head down there with my girlfriend during the summer, and sit out there in the evening with a bottle of wine. Awesome). They also have music a couple days a week, ranging from some folk guitarist dude to a full blown blues band, and that can be pretty excellent.

Across the street from that is Bennett's, which opened a couple years ago and features homemade foods on the menu and a bunch of TVs for sports. I'm a big music off, I don't usually go to places unless we have live music, but if it wasn't for that I would be going there once a while.

Next to Bennetts is Good Time Charlie's, and I have seen more fancier than I can even count. Live music every Friday and Saturday, and no cover. Everybody is welcome, from classy to trashy.

Further up the street is the Blue Note, not far from the infamous hamburger wagon. They also have live music all the time, along with regular wine tastings, bourbon tastings, and the inside is more elegant than anything I've seen in Southeast Ohio. The music ranges from hardcore blues to easy listening jazz. The owners are super cool also, and have done this from the ground up.

Right down the street from them you have Ron's pizza, which I understand is pretty good, but I haven't tried it. Then you have Bullwinkle's, which makes a pretty good catfish dinner.

There were more places such as breweries and a couple other restaurants that I haven't even mentioned, but the bottom line is that in an area of about a comfortable five minute walk, there are at least a dozen places that are not chains, and are pretty cool. It's also right near the Miami River, there are walking trails there, plus the city puts on lots of outdoor concerts in the park there during the summer. Oh, and on the first Friday of every month in the summer, the city shuts down Linden Street, and TJ chumps and taste of wine sponsor a dancing in the streets night, with a live band outside.

Honestly, for the most part nearly every dime of my dining dollars goes to downtown Miamisburg.

I will also mention one place in Springboro. Springboro is a weird town. It is kind of a cross between Pleasantville and Desperate Housewives. It all seems so fake, but there is one solitary place with substance: Heather's Cafe. She has an awesome patio in the spring, summer, and fall, with live music on Thursdays and Fridays. The food is basically patio food, which isn't bad, but she has a great wine list, and a lot of craft beers, and bourbon and scotch. A perfect place to spend summer evening.

Other than that, the pickings are slim. You have to head up towards Austin Landing for anything else, and even then most of them are chains.

The only place I've been to around downtown Miamsiburg is Bear Creek Donuts, which is phenomenal. Watermark is also located there. Wasn't sure if Sea Ray was strictly talking about downtown Dayton or what, though.

I have a friend who lives in a Ryan Homes neighborhood in Springboro, and I thought exactly the same thing.
    Last edited by Ohayou; 01-30-2018 at 02:21 PM.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    The only place I've been to around downtown Miamsiburg is Bear Creek Donuts, which is phenomenal. Watermark is also located there. Wasn't sure if Sea Ray was strictly talking about downtown Dayton or what, though.
    Oh, I know. It was more for the benefit of people who live in the Gem city area. For instance, if I went to Springboro, I guarantee that 95% of the people would never venture into downtown Miamisburg because they think it's trashy. But once I get them down there, they love it.

And yes, watermark is great, and was formally Nibbles. I'm good friends with the chef, Maria, and it's another place that did it right from the ground up.

When I was living in Miamisburg, I was addicted to Bullwinkles. I was poor at the time, so it was still a splurge eat out place for me.

There was also a place north of downtown on main street that was an old school steakhouse kinda place. It was the kinda place where they kept the light so low you could barely read the menu and you expected to see a group of mobsters at every table. It was a tad sketchy but their food was delicious. Last I heard they moved down to a spot on 725 in Miami Township but they eventually failed altogether. Does anyone remember the name of that place?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    I will also mention one place in Springboro. Springboro is a weird town. It is kind of a cross between Pleasantville and Desperate Housewives. It all seems so fake, but there is one solitary place with substance: Heather's Cafe. She has an awesome patio in the spring, summer, and fall, with live music on Thursdays and Fridays. The food is basically patio food, which isn't bad, but she has a great wine list, and a lot of craft beers, and bourbon and scotch. A perfect place to spend summer evening.

Other than that, the pickings are slim. You have to head up towards Austin Landing for anything else, and even then most of them are chains.
    China Cottage in Springboro is pretty good imho.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Anywhere south or east of Dayton, I'm good with it. I don't like it too much up north.

Turn Off Ads?