Turn Off Ads?
Page 42 of 48 FirstFirst ... 32383940414243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: Drew Stubbs

Re: Drew Stubbs

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    -0.4 WAR. I'm thinking I miss Chris Dickerson right about now. That career .351 OBP would play on this team even with no pop.
    Fangraphs says 0.5, and baseball-reference says 0.4 WAR, so I'm not sure where you're getting a negative WAR for Stubbs.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Fangraphs says 0.5, and baseball-reference says 0.4 WAR, so I'm not sure where you're getting a negative WAR for Stubbs.
    BP. But either way you slice it, he's either sub replacement or slightly over at this point. Usually with a WAR discrepancy like that I tend to fall in the middle, so replacement level he is. And he's 27 now, so I think, to borrow from Dennis Green "he is who we think he is, and we let him off the hook!" But, if you wanna crown....never mind.
    Last edited by gilpdawg; 07-05-2012 at 03:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    BP. But either way you slice it, he's either sub replacement or slightly over at this point. Usually with a WAR discrepancy like that I tend to fall in the middle, so replacement level he is. And he's 27 now, so I think, to borrow from Dennis Green "he is who we think he is, and we let him off the hook!" But, if you wanna crown....never mind.
    I'm not saying he's a future MVP or anything, but he has had success in the past, and I think it's ridiculous to act like he won't have success in the future based on the limited amount of data that's available.

Stat geek...and proud

I'm not saying he's a future MVP or anything, but he has had success in the past, and I think it's ridiculous to act like he won't have success in the future based on the limited amount of data that's available.
    Sure, he's not a lost cause, but he's trending downwards and it doesn't look all that promising to me. He reminds me of an outfield Willie Greene. Good for a couple of years but couldn't adjust once people figured out how to get him out.

I hope I'm wrong. I like the guy.

But we have a ton of data. Baseball history is filled with guys who came up and were decent for a while but couldn't adjust once the league figured them out. Unless Stubbs can make a significant change to his game, I think a .700 OPS season is a pipedream from here on out. I'm guessing his OPS will continue to fall. He'll get a few chances with new teams that think they can fix him, but he'll continue to drop until it reaches the point where no team is interested. I wouldn't call Willy Taveras a "comp" for Stubbs, but I think how his career progressed is a pretty good example. I really wanted the Reds to deal Stubbs last winter while he still had some value. Many argued that it would have been selling low, but, with arb coming, I just had a hard time seeing how his value was going to go up. This year's deadline may be the last chance the Reds have to include Stubbs in a deal for anything of value.
    Last edited by mth123; 07-05-2012 at 06:00 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Here's the biggest problem with Stubbs. It's not the short term 0 for 28. It's not just his .686 OPS last year or his .638 this year.

It's his number of plate appearances.

Stubbs had 681 plate appearances last season. By far the most on the Reds. This year, he missed time due to injury but still has 238 PA.

That's over 900 plate appearances in a season and a half.

When a hitter is averaging about .670 or thereabouts OPS, and he hits over 900 times in a season and a half, the offense will be hurt.

Maybe if the Reds added another top notch hitter to the lineup, perhaps they could get away with 900 plate appearances at .670 OPS. But as the offense is presently constructed, it's become a problem.

I said in April, and still maintain, that Stubbs' playing time needs to be cut. Unfortunately, Heisey isn't doing well either. But all these Stubbs at bats is intolerable.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-05-2012 at 09:03 AM.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Geez. I wanted to trade Stubbs 2 seasons ago when he still had value and "potential".

The problem with trading Stubbs though ... who plays CF?

Stubbs has certainly been disappointing this year, but Heisey is not an option either.

I just don't see any better CF available on the market, and in the Reds price range at this point.. Maybe someone else knows of one? Typically, good, young, and cheap CF are not traded, so upgrading CF is difficult, especially in midseason.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Heisey is better than Stubbs at this point, but the answer to that question isn't in the organization.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I just don't see any better CF available on the market, and in the Reds price range at this point.. Maybe someone else knows of one? Typically, good, young, and cheap CF are not traded, so upgrading CF is difficult, especially in midseason.
    This point has been made by KC as well and if the case, then so be it. Upgrade elsewhere, CF is what it is with Heisey or Stubbs, although neither have earned a place at the top of the lineup, nor a lucrative LT contract. Perhaps the market provides an opportunity down the road.

Probably won't be easy to replace him, but I'm more than over watching both Stubbs and Heisey.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    The problem with trading Stubbs though ... who plays CF?

Stubbs has certainly been disappointing this year, but Heisey is not an option either.

Denard Span is the obvious choice. DeJesus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Not sure DeJesus can play CF.. He played 68 games there in 2008, and only a handful since then. Given the large contract that Coco Crisp got last offseason, there's clearly a shortage of legit CF out there.. I would think that if DeJesus could play CF, he would've gotten a much bigger contract.

Span would be nice, but why would the Twins trade their CF who is signed longterm (option year at 2015)? Seems like he would command a very steep price. Span has a career 744 OPS. That's better than Stubbs (716), but not exactly a huge upgrade. His LF bat and better OBP would be a better fit, but again.. what price are you willing to pay for just a slight upgrade in CF?

IMO, this response proved my point that upgrading CF would be difficult, especially at midseason.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Can DeJesus still play an adequate CF (or could he ever)?

DeJesus played center for the Royals when he began and he is/was a fine fielder. But he has gotten older and I doubt he could do better than fill in as an emergency CFer now.

Turn Off Ads?