Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Cbssportsline.com Reds off season review...

Cbssportsline.com Reds off season review...

Offseason objectives: Sign right-handed hitting left fielder, catcher, bullpen help and shortstop. Prepare change-of-address cards for final spring in Florida. Accomplishments: Acquiring catcher Ramon Hernandez from Baltimore will improve the Reds' offense behind the plate, and outfielder Wily Taveras adds speed. Like so many others in the NL, it's tough to do much when the money's dried up. By cutting ties with outfielder Corey Patterson, manager Dusty Baker won't be able to play him.

What's left: The Reds will trade for an outfielder (Xavier Nady? Nick Swisher?) or sign one (Bobby Abreu?) as the prices drop when spring training gets closer. This, though, is a team that can barely afford to purchase new sweatbands and toothpicks for skipper Baker, let alone legitimate, winning players.

Sad, but true...

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Re: Cbssportsline.com Reds off season review...

Well if the reds want to compete and they have the rotation, prospects, and from all reports the money.. Then now is the time to do so. Adding a Mark Mulder and Xavier Nady/Nick Swisher might put this team from dwellers to contenders.

Mark Mulder would be a horrible waste. The guy is done.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Haunted by walks

About Sarasota: What's the mood going to be like in "tired old Ed Smith stadium" in the final year? The Sarasota city officials reaped what they sowed, but I suppose the folks who work at the ballpark must have been baseball fans, and fond of the Reds.

I love how the Reds have everyone believing they are broke when they actually are not. Jocketty said the economy has had no effect on his off season and he also said the payroll would be above 80 million.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    I love how the Reds have everyone believing they are broke when they actually are not. Jocketty said the economy has had no effect on his off season and he also said the payroll would be above 80 million.
    I guess there is still a thin ray of hope that the Reds will land Abreu.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I guess there is still a thin ray of hope that the Reds will land Abreu.
    I like Bobby Abreu, but I'm not sure that signing him would do enough to accomplish what this offense needs at this point. The Reds will still have an out machine leading off 75% of the time; it's going to be tough to overcome that.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I like Bobby Abreu, but I'm not sure that signing him would do enough to accomplish what this offense needs at this point. The Reds will still have an out machine leading off 75% of the time; it's going to be tough to overcome that.
    If the Reds could get Abreau for 2 years at a reasonable price, the team will be a lot more bearable to watch. They might even play 500 ball if everything lines up right.

If the Reds don't upgrade LF, the offense might score fewer runs than it did last year, which will mean a long, boring season.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?