Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Homer Bailey hypothetical trade talk

Re: Homer Bailey hypothetical trade talk

Keep in mind that Arroyo and Harang are getting older, not better. Owings is marginal. Volquez is having some health issues.

Zach Stewart has a handful of minor league starts under his belt. I don't think that qualifies as an adequate insurance policy for the major league 5-man rotation.

Wood's a corner guy anyway, and the Reds are set there, I think.

No way on this deal.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I would do it.

yes

Doug,

this is a trade i have suggested before. both are former grade A prospects who for whatever reason have stalled at AAA. just as Reds fans wonder if Bailey will ever get it done in a Reds uniform I suspect Angels fans wonder if Wood will ever get it done in an Angels uniform. both players seem to need a change of scenery. it could be a win-win type trade for both teams.

- Will

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Wood's a corner guy anyway, and the Reds are set there, I think.
    He has played quite a bit of SS and has done OK there. He's no Janish.
    Keep in mind that the PCL inflates stats a bit, Wood's low BB rate and the apparent consistency now shown by Homer and I have to agree that this is a poor trade.

He has played quite a bit of SS and has done OK there. He's no Janish.
    They've been playing him at 1B lately. He won't end up at SS.

He has played 3 games at 1B in his Minor League career...what do you base your statement "He won't end up at SS" on? He has been an effective SS in the minors.

Bum

I say no

I am a firm believer in the theory that you can never have too much pitching. If you look around the league and see how much garbage there is at the back end of most major league rotations, you can really do some damage over 162 games if your #4 or #5 guys profile as league average #3. I think realistically Homer can be a #3.

Wood on the other hand profiles as a 3b or 1B, not a SS. He has not proven he can do it at the major league level yet and we already have log jams in the minors at those spots he really does not fill any gap within the organization.

He has played 3 games at 1B in his Minor League career...what do you base your statement "He won't end up at SS" on? He has been an effective SS in the minors.
    He's played mostly 3B in his time in Anaheim, he's been playing 1B in AAA lately, and he's a big guy who doesn't have a lot of range.

I don't see any 'hard' evidence there that suggests he cannot play SS. Have you looked at Salt Lake's roster? They have very little in the infield at all (other than Kendrick at 2B). He is pretty much playing everywhere and he has played a lot more SS even this year than other positions. I don't think one can see that he has played 2 out of the last 7 games at 1B (and 3 in his minor league career) and decide that he can't play SS. He isn't small, but he isn't immobile or larger than other SS from the past that have been effective (Ripken, A-Rod). He has always been credited with being an average SS defensively. When did this change? Doug, what do you think?

Bum

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

As far as I have heard, nothing has changed in the idea that Wood can't play at SS. He certainly has not carried as bad of a wrap at SS as our own Chris Valaika has and most guys don't seem to have an issue with him sticking there.

I don't see any 'hard' evidence there that suggests he cannot play SS. Have you looked at Salt Lake's roster? They have very little in the infield at all (other than Kendrick at 2B). He is pretty much playing everywhere and he has played a lot more SS even this year than other positions. I don't think one can see that he has played 2 out of the last 7 games at 1B (and 3 in his minor league career) and decide that he can't play SS. He isn't small, but he isn't immobile or larger than other SS from the past that have been effective (Ripken, A-Rod). He has always been credited with being an average SS defensively.
    The game is evolving, and defense is becoming more important. Wood as a SS is on the wrong side of that trend.

The game is evolving, and defense is becoming more important. Wood as a SS is on the wrong side of that trend.
    And Alex Gonzalez with a .500 OPS isn't on the wrong side of everything?

And Alex Gonzalez with a .500 OPS isn't on the wrong side of everything?
    Do you disagree with the notion that the game is evolving towards an increased emphasis on defense?

Time will tell if Wood's a SS.

Do you disagree with the notion that the game is evolving towards an increased emphasis on defense?

Time will tell if Wood's a SS.
    I think its evolving to a point where lesser bats don't hurt as much because the leagues OPS is down across the board. Still, if some of the options are .600 OPS shortstops of Brandon Wood types, give me the BW types all day long.

Who cares about trends? I want the best baseball players...

Turn Off Ads?