Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Micah Owings finally comes to the Reds, B. Phillips to 60 day DL

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Micah Owings finally comes to the Reds, B. Phillips to 60 day DL

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    That was the work of Walt working the phones to make sure no one messed up his trade by claiming Owens. Smart.
    Or 30 days has passed since he was put through waivers the first time, claimed, pulled back and now put through again.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Or 30 days has passed since he was put through waivers the first time, claimed, pulled back and now put through again.
    Quite possible as well. You're such a stickler for details!
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Santo Alcala View Post
    Yes, but every team in the league knew this deal was going to happen. To claim him would have just delayed Owings' arrival here until the offseason. The guy has value, but only spite would have moved another team to deprive the Reds 2.5 weeks of the guy's services.
    No no....what I meant was pre-trade I'm suprised he wasn't claimed. Or did he only get put on waivers after the deal was agreed upon.

Reds get Owings to complete Dunn deal
    Phillips placed on 60-day DL with broken right index finger
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

PHOENIX -- Pitcher Micah Owings entered Chase Field on Friday like he has often done, with one exception. This time, he said hello to the Diamondbacks' clubhouse security guard and kept walking.

"I'm just passing by today," Owings told the man. Instead, the right-hander headed toward the visitors' clubhouse occupied by the Reds.

Rumored for weeks to be Cincinnati-bound, Owings on Friday officially became the third player to complete the trade that sent left fielder Adam Dunn from the Reds to the Diamondbacks.

"It's been a little bit in limbo," Owings said while wearing his new Reds pullover over his new No. 56 jersey.

On Aug. 11, the Reds dealt Dunn to the Diamondbacks for Minor League pitcher Dallas Buck and two players to be named. Utility player Wilkin Castillo was the second player, named a few days later.

Since clearing waivers was required on all post-July 31 trades, the third name was kept under wraps. Word leaked that it would be Owings, but he had an arm injury that, by rule, prohibited him from being placed on waivers until he was healthy.

According to Owings, Arizona didn't tell him anything about his situation when the trade was first executed.

"I found out like the rest of the public did," Owings said. "Unfortunately, they didn't have to say anything until it happened. It was kind of goofy how it did. It is what it is and I'm at peace with it. I wasn't disappointed but kind of surprised."

To make room for Owings on the 40-man roster, second baseman Brandon Phillips was placed on the 60-day disabled list. Phillips had surgery on Friday in Cincinnati to repair a broken right index finger. Two pins were inserted during the 45-minute procedure and he will be evaluated again in 4-6 weeks.

Owings was 6-9 with a 5.93 ERA in 22 games, including 18 starts, with 41 walks and 87 strikeouts. It's been a wildly inconsistent season that started when the 25-year-old began with a 5-1 record. He later strained his gluteus and then went 0-6 over his last seven big league starts before a July 29 demotion to Triple-A Tucson.

Later, Owings came down with soreness behind the right shoulder where the latissimus and triceps muscles meet. It might have played a part in his steep decline.

"I know people have played it down, but it was something that was bothering me more than I ever knew," Owings said. "I won't make any excuses, but I've never been a guy to walk three and five guys a game or hit two and three. If you've seen my track record, that's just not me. I'm a guy that's going to throw strikes."

Owings spent the last month working out at the Diamondbacks' complex in Tucson and reported to be feeling much better. After was deemed healthy by the doctors, he went through waivers and cleared without being claimed by another club.

"Hopefully he'll return to the form he had before and give us another good pitcher," Reds manager Dusty Baker said.

Don't expect that to happen in the waning days of 2008. Owings will be with the Reds over the last few weeks of the season but isn't expected to take the mound.

"I don't think he's going to be able to pitch," Baker said. "He hasn't done it in a while and the season is so short. We don't want to take a chance of him re-injuring himself."

Hitting could be a different matter. Owings has a .313 (35-for-112) career batting average in 69 games and often pinch-hit for Arizona when he wasn't pitching. Baker hoped he would be able to do likewise this season.

"I told him to be honest with me and let me know if he feels anything. Hitting shouldn't affect his shoulder," Baker said.

Owings hasn't done any hitting since he's been injured.

"Anytime I can do it, I love to get into the box," he said.

Owings will compete for a rotation spot in 2009 and will give the Reds depth if he can be the pitcher that helped Arizona reach the playoffs last season. He tends to be a fly-ball pitcher, which could be to his detriment at hitter-friendly Great American Ball Park.

In 2007, Owings went 8-8 with a 4.30 ERA and made two starts in the National League Championship Series. He had no hard feelings about being jettisoned by the Diamondbacks after only a year and a half in the big leagues.

"Those guys were in a pennant race. They felt like they had to make a move," Owings said. "Let's face it, Dunn is one of the best guys out there. I have respect for what they had to do. Those decisions are out my hands. I have to deal with the hand I've been dealt. I'm anxious to be here."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

"I'm anxious to be here."

Hmm... Owings was in Phoenix when he said that. Or he could have been standing in the Reds clubhouse and meant for "anxious" to mean apprehensive.
    /r/reds

Owings will be with the Reds over the last few weeks of the season but isn't expected to take the mound.

"I don't think he's going to be able to pitch," Baker said. "He hasn't done it in a while and the season is so short. We don't want to take a chance of him re-injuring himself."

Hitting could be a different matter. Owings has a .313 (35-for-112) career batting average in 69 games and often pinch-hit for Arizona when he wasn't pitching. Baker hoped he would be able to do likewise this season.
    Sounds like a sound decision. Why risk it?

My question is - what are the Red's plans for this kid? As a pitcher? Or are they going to convert him to an OF spot via an Ankiel?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

A gluteus is a butt muscle correct?

If so, that must have been one pretty severe strain to lead to the demotion. I wonder why he didn't officially go on the DL, or if he did I missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    A gluteus is a butt muscle correct?
    According to the last official governmental report.
    So we've added one more pain in the butt to this team huh?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

That was the work of Walt working the phones to make sure no one messed up his trade by claiming Owens. Smart.
    He didn't have many calls to make as only teams lower then us could make a claim. Surprised ol leather pants didn't do it out of spite

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Again, why would anyone claim him?

Walt would have accomplished more just phoning his mother.

Everyone and anyone knew claiming him was a worthless exercise.

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    That's the way I remembered it as well.

Looks like the Reds might have a Rick Ankiel type of pitcher/hitter although Owings doesn't have the anxiety pitching that plagued Ankiel.

And Owings pays immediate dividends with a game winning RBI double.

The guy is freaky good as a hitter. Tonight, the camera caught him stealing a glance of where the catcher was setting up just before he roped that double. Who does that? It was awesome! It is easy to take an attribute like his hitting prowess for granted. Maybe the D'Backs did. There is no question that the trade cost them at least one ballgame in 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    Maybe we will get to see him pinch hit against the Diamondbacks?

Maybe so, maybe so.....

That 2007 Silver Slugger award appears to be well deserved.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Quote Originally Posted by Santo Alcala View Post
    The guy is freaky good as a hitter. Tonight, the camera caught him stealing a glance of where the catcher was setting up just before he roped that double. Who does that? It was awesome! It is easy to take an attribute like his hitting prowess for granted. Maybe the D'Backs did. There is no question that the trade cost them at least one ballgame in 2008.
    Hitters don't do that because if they're caught the next pitch they see will be aimed at their ear. I'm sure that's a lesson Owings would have learned the hard way if he hit more frequently. Though perhaps being a pitcher himself buys him a little freedom.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?