Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jayson Stark: Reds shopped Aaron Harang, tried to deal for Wandy Rodriguez

Jayson Stark: Reds shopped Aaron Harang, tried to deal for Wandy Rodriguez

From Jayson Stark's Rumblings and Grumblings:

The Twins, Reds, Mets, Dodgers and even the Blue Jays tried to swoop in and deal for Wandy Rodriguez on Saturday. But the Astros never seriously entertained trading him.

The Reds were trying to drum up interest in Aaron Harang, even though he's been on the disabled list for a month with back spasms. Harang figures to be a potential August attraction if he resembles any semblance of his former self.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/column...umblings100805

He also has a piece on Joey Votto at the top of the page.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jayson Stark: Reds shopped Aaron Harang, tried to deal for Wandy Rodriguez

"Harang figures to be a potential August attraction if he resembles any semblance of his former self. "

yeah. Ain't that the truth. I'm a big Harang fan. He's a shell of what he was.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    "Harang figures to be a potential August attraction if he resembles any semblance of his former self. "

yeah. Ain't that the truth. I'm a big Harang fan. He's a shell of what he was.
    The Reds are in a bit of a Catch-22 with Harang if they are looking to trade him before the end of the month. They have to activate him and put him in the rotation and take someone out who is pitching well. Leake could be that guy if they are going to shut him down soon but Harang also needs to pitch well in a few starts in order to draw interest enough to trade him. He certainly didn't pitch awful in most of his starts before going on the DL but if he hadn't had the success he had a few years ago, people wouldn't give him a second look.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

High five!

There's increasingly little difference between Mike Leake's season numbers and Aaron Harang's.

Code:
    Name		K/9	BB/9	K/BB	HR/9	AVG	WHIP	BABIP	LOB%	ERA	FIP	E-F	xFIP
    Mike Leake	5.57	3.14	1.77	1	0.27	1.4	0.3	75.40%	3.86	4.44	-0.58	4.41
    Aaron Harang	6.73	2.51	2.68	1.35	0.29	1.46	0.33	70.50%	5.02	4.52	0.5	4.35
    If they're thinking of decreasing Leake's innings anyhow, just slot Harang in there. It's unlikely the Reds will be able to trade for someone better.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    There's increasingly little difference between Mike Leake's season numbers and Aaron Harang's.

Code:
    If they're thinking of decreasing Leake's innings anyhow, just slot Harang in there. It's unlikely the Reds will be able to trade for someone better.
    Would you rather have Harang or Bailey in the rotation?

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I'd rather have Harang.

I think Homer's more likely to bring a useful part back in trade if both Homer and traded player can clear waivers. However, if that's not possible, Harang is likely to clear waivers but not bring back something terribly useful.

I have no confidence in the Reds ability to "fix" Homer.

Code:
    Homer Bailey	7.28	3.73	1.95	1.24	0.27	1.48	0.32	67.50%	5.51	4.71	0.79	4.67

I think we'll need both before it's over.

Give me Bailey eight days a week.

While Harang is a serviceable starter who can log innings, he lacks a true out pitch at this juncture in his career and his stuff is pedestrian. He'll give you six innings of three- or four-run baseball. There's little chance he'll be a TOR starter again.

Homer is a wildcard that could emerge as an ace or a serviceable fifth starter who'll occasionally give you great starts and occasionally give you duds. Homer's last nine starts of last season give me hope that he can be that ace, so I'm willing to live with the possible crap that may go along with it.

Harang is going nowhere, even if the Reds could trade him what is the point when the return is likely a 12th string catcher for Dayton.

If he's anything like he used to be you keep him because you have 2 rookies and arm surgery in your rotation.
    Go Gators!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

The disconnect between Leake's FIP and his actual ERA isn't all that shocking if you've watched him pitch, IMO.

Leake throws a fastball that moves and is difficult to center for good contact. My eyeballs tell me he's the type of guy who will become one of those poster children for the "put the FIP calculator away and start watching baseball" crowd. In Leake's case, they might have a decent point.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The disconnect between Leake's FIP and his actual ERA isn't all that shocking if you've watched him pitch, IMO.Leake throws a fastball that moves and is difficult to center for good contact.
    I dunno, he has a .270 BAA against with a .300 BABIP. That may've been the case earlier in the season and may be the case once he adjusts but right now, I think he's getting "centered" and "contacted" with much greater frequency. Those are the two things that Harang had problems with when he was pitching.

Lo:

My eyeballs tell me he's the type of guy who will become one of those poster children for the "put the FIP calculator away and start watching baseball" crowd. In Leake's case, they might have a decent point.
    I see.

I dunno, he has a .270 BAA against with a .300 BABIP. That may've been the case earlier in the season and may be the case once he adjusts but right now, I think he's getting "centered" and "contacted" with much greater frequency. Those are the two things that Harang had problems with when he was pitching.

Lo:

I see.
    Going forward for this season alone, I'd rather have Harang, if healthy, out there than Leake. I think Leake is getting tired, which is resulting in more meatballs than usual. That should only get worse as the season drags on.

However, I think next year, if shut down on time this year, Leake could become a true TOR starter. He had a lot of learning to do this year, and had to deal with missing turns and extra days of rest. Put him on a regular schedule, with a full season of experience under his belt, and there's no knowing how good he could be.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    Going forward for this season alone, I'd rather have Harang, if healthy, out there than Leake. I think Leake is getting tired, which is resulting in more meatballs than usual. That should only get worse as the season drags on.

However, I think next year, if shut down on time this year, Leake could become a true TOR starter. He had a lot of learning to do this year, and had to deal with missing turns and extra days of rest. Put him on a regular schedule, with a full season of experience under his belt, and there's no knowing how good he could be.

I agree here... I've been thinking for a few weeks now that the grind of the season is starting to wear on Leake... Couple that with the fact that teams are getting him scouted, and he's gonna be so-so from here on out... I do think a move to the pen soon would probably be good for him, and allow the Reds to hit his IP target more gradually... Also, it doesn't hurt to have a guy with good control coming into the game late...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Would have liked to have gotten Wandy.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    I agree here... I've been thinking for a few weeks now that the grind of the season is starting to wear on Leake... Couple that with the fact that teams are getting him scouted, and he's gonna be so-so from here on out... I do think a move to the pen soon would probably be good for him, and allow the Reds to hit his IP target more gradually... Also, it doesn't hurt to have a guy with good control coming into the game late...
    Last outing wasn't scouting, he was simply getting the ball up, so much that even the Pirates could hit him.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?