Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Under the Radar

Under the Radar

There has been a lot of discussion of big trades and free agent signings, but if the Reds are going to fill all of their holes and restock their talent, they will need to hit on some minor deals as well. I am sure there are lots of candidates out there and this is by no means a complete list or the only list. So..

Here are a few guys who are not on everyone's target list that I think could be good pick-ups/gambles for Cincy. These guys are on teams that could use some of the guys the Reds realistically have to trade (Larue, Ross, Freel, Cormier and lesser prospects like Pelland and Dumatrait for example.) I don't really like to predict trades so I won't try to get any more specific. I wouldn't go all out for these guys and none are sure things, but if a deal makes sense I would prefer these to most of the retreads we've been getting (McCracken, Mays, etc.) I did throw in one older vet FA at the end for sentimental reasons (it also makes sense though).

Gavin Floyd - 24 in 2007. A former top prospect. 2 Bad years in a row and is seemingly out of Philly's plans. Had a decent 2nd half of 2006 in AAA. Still healthy as far as I know.

JA Happ - Overlooked Philly prospect who pitched at 3 levels in 2006. Lefty. Projects as a 4 or 5. Age 24 in 2007. High K Rate, low WHIP.

Macier Izturis - .777 OPS in 2006 over 350 ABs. Can play SS. Lost in the shuffle with all the talent in Anaheim. May not be available to allow others to be traded in a bigger deal or as insurance for a failure at 3B or 2B in Anaheim.

Jeremy Accardo - 25 in 2007. Was in the picture for saves in SF for a while when Benetiz was hurt but faded and was traded to Toronto. Had high WHIP in 2006 was pretty good in the PCL.

Brandon League - 24 in 2007. Emerged in 2006. K's kind of low in majors in the past but ok in the minors and in 2006 in Toronto. Once thought of as a closer type but by-passed with BJ Ryan signing.

Kyle Farnsworth - Disappointment in NY and has big contract. Seems to lack concentration at times. Was pretty good closing for a while in Atlanta when he had to keep his head in the game. If he could be had in an exchange of bad contracts, I'd let him close in Cincy.

Brian Bruney - 25 in 2007 Had a good 20 innings in NY in 2006. Was once thought of as a possible closer in Arizona. Failed a few times, but throws hard.

Mike Wuertz - 28 in 2007. He's been mentioned by others so I won't rehash. I'll just say that I agree.

Eduardo Perez - 37 in 2007. Free Agent. Good RH Power platoon guy. Plays 1B but could spell Dunn or Griffey in a corner OF spot and even play 3B in a pinch. Has fan appeal in Cincy and grew up with Griffey for a while so could be a good influence there as well. Probably wouldn't hate it in Cincy and wouldn't ask for a premium as far as money is concerned.

Probably not the sexiest list in the world, but if anyone has any info on these guys or other similar low profile ideas please share. We're a month or more before things really start to happen, so I thought this might be something different to discuss.

There are plenty of other threads about the big names and the whipping boys.
    Last edited by mth123; 10-12-2006 at 10:42 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Under the Radar

I like your list.

I'd also like to add Joe Blanton.

He could be Arron Harang redux.

Don't know his BABIP, but my intuition tells me that he was very hit unlucky in '06. If that's the case, Beane probably already knows it.

Wouldn't hurt to ask though.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    I like your list.

Don't know his BABIP, but my intuition tells me that he was very hit unlucky in '06. If that's the case, Beane probably already knows it.

Ya, he was unlucky. If he came to the NL you would probably see a 4.00ish ERA. One alarming thing about him is that his K rate has gone down dramatically the last 2 seasons. His HRs have too which have kept him afloat. He would be a good target if the price was right.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post

Jeremy Accardo - 25 in 2007. Was in the picture for saves in SF for a while when Benetiz was hurt but faded and was traded to Toronto. Had high WHIP in 2006 was pretty good in the PCL.
    He was really good with San Fran, but not so good with Toronto. I would love to trade for him (and I don't think it would cost much). He's a potential sleeper IMO.

Maybe a LaRue for Accardo trade since Toronto will need a catcher with 2 expiring contracts. We may have to eat 1.5-2M, but I think there may be a fit there.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    Ya, he was unlucky. If he came to the NL you would probably see a 4.00ish ERA. One alarming thing about him is that his K rate has gone down dramatically the last 2 seasons. His HRs have too which have kept him afloat. He would be a good target if the price was right.
    Ahhh...But his BABIP was .341. He only walked 58 batters in 194 innings.

Just as I suspected.

Same body type, roughly the same pitch arsenal as Harang. The Reds traded for Harang at about the same age.

It's eerie, folks.

Wayne should incquire about him pronto.
    Last edited by wheels; 10-13-2006 at 12:39 AM.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    He was really good with San Fran, but not so good with Toronto. I would love to trade for him (and I don't think it would cost much). He's a potential sleeper IMO.

Maybe a LaRue for Accardo trade since Toronto will need a catcher with 2 expiring contracts. We may have to eat 1.5-2M, but I think there may be a fit there.
    Actually Larue for Accardo or League was exactly what I was thinking when I wrote this. The reds may need to throw in a Pelland to get League. Again, I'm not trying to predict specific deals because its pretty difficult. Just throwing out target ideas.

Potential deep sleepers is what this thread is all about. The Reds will need to find a couple.

I like your list.

Thanks.

I'd be thrilled with Blanton. Not sure the Reds have much they would want. Maybe Freel with all the IF injuries which seem to be chronic with Crosby and Ellis; and Payton and Bradley are both FA in the OF. They might want Deno. I'd rather trade Freel.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Thanks.

I'd be thrilled with Blanton. Not sure the Reds have much they would want. Maybe Freel with all the IF injuries which seem to be chronic with Crosby and Ellis; and Payton and Bradley are both FA in the OF. They might want Deno. I'd rather trade Freel.

Yeah, I have no idea what Beane would want for him.

If we were talking about any other GM, they'd give him up for a song.

The Reds might have a prospect or two.

Excellent list - I would rep you if I could.

I agree with everyone on that list (and Blanton - he is Harang 2.0) with the exceptions of Farnsworth, Happ, and Bruney. Farnsworth just doesn't do anything for me, and he will probably get more money than he is worth, IMO. I am not familar with Happ and Bruney, so I can't say much on them.

This is exactly what I think Wayne is going to be doing a lot of this offseason. Making smart inexpensive moves. Trading some contracts for talent and some young talent for other young talent. Don't get me wrong, I still believe BCast and Krivsky will make a couple big splashes. But this is where we will see Krivsky's vision realized. Small pieces with upside that build a solid contender now and for the future.

I will think about this and probably add some names that I know of as well.

Jesse Foppert was cut by Seattle. Guy was a high-flyer when the Giants called him up at 23 yrs. old. But it seems as though he's completely lost the strike zone. A good pitching coach and a shift to the bullpen might straighten him out. He does miss bats...but he misses just about everything else, too.

Two second basemen I like are Brian Roberts (BAL) and Orlando Hudson (AZ)...but I think they're both arbitration eligible, not free agents.
    Last edited by NJReds; 10-13-2006 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Jesse Foppert was cut by Seattle. Guy was a high-flyer when the Giants called him up at 23 yrs. old. But it seems as though he's completely lost the strike zone. A good pitching coach and a shift to the bullpen might straighten him out. He does miss bats...but he misses just about everything else, too.

Two second basemen I like are Brian Roberts (BAL) and Orlando Hudson (AZ)...but I think they're both arbitration eligible, not free agents.
    Yes they are. But I would imagine both are pretty untouchable, especially Hudson. They are very similar players, but Hudson probably gets my nod with more potential and stellar defense. Hudson is probably the best in the majors when it comes to turning a double-play.

There is this Phillips guy with the Indians. Great prospect - best in baseball a couple of years ago, I believe. Reports are the Indians don't like him and may dump him. He might be worth taking a flyer on...

I would add to that list

Shawn Marcum (TOR - RHRP)
    Francisco Rosario (TOR - RHRP - flame-thrower)
    Zack Grienke (KC - RHSP - amazing prospect but seems to have lost his head, somewhat like Oliver Perez but better)
    Humberto Sanchez (DET - RHSP - somewhat of a mystery, never regarded well, but had good 2006 (great AA, avg AAA), got a lot of pub because he was considered Detroit's expendable trade bait, his value is down now. Not sure the asking price, though.)
    Mark Teahen (KCR - 3B good prospect, had similar season to EE, but with less upside. Will be replaced by Alex Gordon. Would be expensive, but could replace EE if used as trade bait, or could convert to 2B.)
    Ian Kinsler (TEX - 2B - high-touted prospect, had good 2006, stock seems to be a little down and Texas need RP. Not likely to be moved unless Texas gets a 2B replacement.)
    Oliver Perez (LHSP - NYM - will all depend on how he performs in game 4 of NLCS. If he does well Mets likely hang on to him; if not, he can be had dirt cheap.)

That's all for now - I will post more later.

I like your list.

He's from Bowling Green, KY too. Right down the road from me.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    He's from Bowling Green, KY too. Right down the road from me.
    He actually went to Franklin-Simpson HS.

Ahhh... good old Franklin KY. Used to be home of the cheapest gas east of the Mississippi. Is it still, Jpup???
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    He actually went to Franklin-Simpson HS.

Ahhh... good old Franklin KY. Used to be home of the cheapest gas east of the Mississippi. Is it still, Jpup???
    I don't go through Franklin much, but I think it's about 1.88 in Bowling Green.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Turn Off Ads?