Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds 8th greatest baseball franchise ever

wallerstein

Reds 8th greatest baseball franchise ever

Those are the results of this ranking on rankopedia. The honors go to the Yankees, the Cardinals and the Red Sox. With your votes, the Reds can climb up a few ranks.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds 8th greatest baseball franchise ever

I don't think we need a web site to prove that we're the greatest, most storied franchise in the history of baseball. Let the media centers have their polls, we know the truth.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by rotnoid View Post
    I don't think we need a web site to prove that we're the greatest, most storied franchise in the history of baseball. Let the media centers have their polls, we know the truth.
    As much as I love the Reds, I'd have to say the Yanks are 1, Cards are 2, we are 3 if I had to rank them.

The Cubs are ahead of us? When was this survey done? 1923?

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    As much as I love the Reds, I'd have to say the Yanks are 1, Cards are 2, we are 3 if I had to rank them.
    What I was saying was mostly tongue in cheek. I'll give you the Yankees, but I'm not willing to concede to the Cardinals based soley on WS titles. The Reds have a lot of amazing historical milestones in their history (which I'm sure I don't need to spell out here). I'm probably slightly biased, but I'd take Reds history over the Cardinals' any day of the week.

-Pete Rose

I'd take Reds history over the Cardinals' any day of the week.
    History is a long time

Since 1970 sure, and I'd take the Cubs from 1876-1938 over the Reds any day of the week.

Shoot I'd take the Giants history in NY over the Reds too.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    History is a long time

Since 1970 sure, and I'd take the Cubs from 1876-1938 over the Reds any day of the week.

As long as we're talking about on the field results, I'm with you. I got the impression from the title "greatest franchise ever" other things would be considered. In my mind, a franchise is more than wins and losses. I guess that comes about when your lifetime has seen more losses than wins.

-Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by rotnoid View Post
    What I was saying was mostly tongue in cheek. I'll give you the Yankees, but I'm not willing to concede to the Cardinals based soley on WS titles. The Reds have a lot of amazing historical milestones in their history (which I'm sure I don't need to spell out here). I'm probably slightly biased, but I'd take Reds history over the Cardinals' any day of the week.
    The Reds have a wonderful history. I'd put them in a heat with the Giants, Cubs and Pirates in terms of franchise greatness.

The Braves are a decided step behind and the Phillies have a history that could best be described as embarassing.

Yet if you're going to be unbiased, then the National League has two premier franchises: the Dodgers and the Cardinals. No one else matches up in terms of sustained success, historic moments, great players and innovation (and you can lay that one squarely at the feet of Branch Rickey).
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I'd give the Dodgers the edge over the Cards, mostly because letting Jackie Robinson play was such a seminal event in U.S. history.

I'd put the Reds slightly ahead of the Cubs, since the Cubs have spent roughly the past half-century as the punchline to a joke.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Senor Votto

Moved up to 7th

If you count their minor league time, the Orioles are pretty storied.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the Giants are the only franchise in pro sports with 10,000 victories. The weird thing is that despite having a bevy of legendary players come through their ranks, they have not won a World Series since moving to San Francisco (their last title being in 1954 in New York).

I agree though, I'd take the Giants' history in NY over the Reds. The Reds did have their successful years, but they seemed to be spotty (late 1930's-early 1940's, early 1960's, 1970's, etc.). The Giants (especially under John McGraw) were a powerhouse for nearly three decades.
    Last edited by GoGoWhiteSox; 04-26-2007 at 09:18 PM.

The Yankees are the obvious number one. I almost went with the Dodgers as number two, since, as M2 and Johnny Footstool noted, Jackie Robinson breaking the color line was more significant than any home run ever hit, but, in baseball terms, I finally put the Cardinals ahead of the Dodgers simply because the Cardinals are still the St. Louis Cardinals, while the Dodgers are a continent away from their home in Brooklyn where Jackie made history. I know it probably isn't logical, but I give a mental penalty to those teams that deserted their fans.
    No offense to White Sox fans, but how in the world do the White Sox rate their number three ranking in the poll, at least as of the last time I checked?
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    No offense to White Sox fans, but how in the world do the White Sox rate their number three ranking in the poll, at least as of the last time I checked?
    I noticed that U.S. Cellular Field (the New Comiskey) rated #1 on the ballpark list too. I think that tells us something about who's voting.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I noticed that U.S. Cellular Field (the New Comiskey) rated #1 on the ballpark list too. I think that tells us something about who's voting.
    Hey now, don't blame me, I found out from this thread!

Besides, this compiled "list" is HARDLY credible. Tigers ahead of the Dodgers, Red Sox, and Giants?

Take this list with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by GoGoWhiteSox; 04-27-2007 at 01:55 AM.

Turn Off Ads?