Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Related Rumors

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Reds Related Rumors

Josh Fogg & Bronson Arroyo seem to be on the Rockies mind as they are in buying mode.

SI/MLBTradeRumors.com

SI.com's Jon Heyman spoke to Rockies GM Dan O'Dowd, who now says a trade of Matt Holliday or Brian Fuentes is "highly unlikely." He talked to multiple teams about both players, but hasn't found a match. Holliday could instead be shopped in the offseason.

The Rockies are in buying mode, hoping to land a back-end starter. Heyman mentions Josh Fogg and Paul Byrd. We've also seen Justin Duchscherer and Bronson Arroyo named in reports.
    Also we have heard that the Yankees are interested in Arroyo as well.. Seattle is asking for Melky Cabrera and Brett Gardner for Jarrod Washburn.

SI/MLBTradeRumors.com

SI.com's Jon Heyman seems to be saying the Mariners are still asking for Melky Cabrera and Brett Gardner, though many think one of them would be plenty.
    Fish are eyeing David Ross and lefthanded relief help..

Miami Herald

With 57 games left, the Marlins want to make sure they have more behind the plate than John Baker and Paul Hoover. The Marlins have talked to teams about catchers, and some of the names that have been mentioned in rumors are Cincinnati's David Ross and Colorado's Yorvit Torrealba, with whom the Marlins negotiated during the offseason when Torrealba was a free agent.

The Marlins also are looking for left-handed relief help."
    Little to no movement expected by Dusty Baker

Reds.com

Still, Baker said he doesn't anticipate much movement, if any, with his club.

"I don't anticipate anything, unless somebody comes along with something that'll knock your socks off," Baker said. "Right now, there are a lot of people wanting to take some of our guys. It's cherry picking time, and they won't give you a whole bunch back.

"They say, 'Well, we'll take the salary off your hands. We're going places.' But we're trying to go places, too."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Re: Reds Related Rumors

If I were the Reds.. I'd look at the potential Free Agents to be and see who you want to bring back and who you could get a couple nice prospects for or perhaps a need at the moment. I know they want to win now.. but dealing a Weathers, Ross, or Fogg wouldn't set you back in my opinion..

Wonder if the Rockies still want Josh Fogg after what they were able to do to him this weekend. Can't do much better scouting than to have your own lineup rake him like a pile of leaves.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    ...and who you could get a couple nice prospects for or perhaps a need at the moment. I know they want to win now.. but dealing a Weathers, Ross, or Fogg wouldn't set you back in my opinion..
    I think Baker is saying no one is offering much, if anything, just taking the salary off your hands.

I think that's what Dusty is saying, too. "Yes, we'll take Dunn or Arroyo, but we'll give you two A-ball prospects," seems to be the norm. You can't do that.

As for Fogg, I have to believe he wasn't feeling well. That was horrible even for Fogg yesterday. Thirty-something stiches in your mouth doesn't sound like a big deal, but being one who has had something similar, it effects every part of your body. I was weak for days and didn't feel well.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

I got hit in the mouth with a short hop once and I didnt go to school for a week. I felt and looked like hell.

Among starters, the Reds' Bronson Arroyo could use a change of scenery, and the Rockies reportedly are interested. Cincinnati is looking for athletes as it builds around Jay Bruce, Brandon Phillips and Edinson Volquez.

Perhaps most likely of the sluggers to relocate is the Reds' Adam Dunn, whose immense power plays anywhere. He's a free agent in waiting, and the Reds have to see what his value is.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

I hope the Reds don't make any deal for prospects, unless they receive one or more first-tier prospects in exchange. Watching Votto, Bruce and Cueto this year reminds me of the growing pains that building with prospects requires. Unless the prospects are really high end guys, you are running a tryout camp, a school. Votto, Bruce and Cueto are worth the bumps, but many guys aren't.

I'd rather see the Reds upgrade with solid major leaguers. In a sense, I think the Reds should be buyers (but, of course, not renters). I would be looking to trade from the minor league depth to acquire solid veterans who the Reds could control for a few years.

At this point, I would be very reluctant to trade Arroyo. Next year, Harang, Free Agent Acquisition, Arroyo, Volquez, Cueto should be the expected rotation. And FA Acquisition is not a fifth starter type, but a regular rotation guy. I think two youngsters in the rotation is enough, I'd like a third good veteran.

The Reds are improved this year. I think they should continue to build it up, not tear it down.

If you could get a AA prospect for Fogg that would probably work for me.

Reds take Arroyo off the market

Monday, July 28, 2008 | Print Entry

Posted by Jayson Stark
    The Reds have informed other clubs that they are no longer interested in trading pitcher Bronson Arroyo. Only the Yankees and Rockies were known to have demonstrated even mild interest, anyway. But the Reds apparently were finding that the $24 million Arroyo has coming through 2010 was going to keep them from getting any worthwhile return. And the Reds weren't particularly motivated to eat any sizeable hunk of that salary. So Arroyo, who has been lobbying to stick around, will get to finish the season in Cincinnati. But he may not have heard the last trade rumor of his Reds career.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog...%26year%3d2008

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post

Posted by Jayson Stark
    The Reds have informed other clubs that they are no longer interested in trading pitcher Bronson Arroyo. Only the Yankees and Rockies were known to have demonstrated even mild interest, anyway. But the Reds apparently were finding that the $24 million Arroyo has coming through 2010 was going to keep them from getting any worthwhile return. And the Reds weren't particularly motivated to eat any sizeable hunk of that salary. So Arroyo, who has been lobbying to stick around, will get to finish the season in Cincinnati. But he may not have heard the last trade rumor of his Reds career.

This should just pump up the value of Fogg.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post

Posted by Jayson Stark

Imagine his worth without the extension.

We have a philosophical shift in baseball going on. Used to be that teams like the Yankees, Dodgers, and Red Sox would deal good young players to win it all. Now more and more teams are holding on to this young talent. I doubt the Reds make a move this year based on this new attitude among GM's.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    We have a philosophical shift in baseball going on. Used to be that teams like the Yankees, Dodgers, and Red Sox would deal good young players to win it all. Now more and more teams are holding on to this young talent. I doubt the Reds make a move this year based on this new attitude among GM's.
    I agree. These teams have seen the light (after having been burned many times) and are not willing to shell out millions for aging talent and mediocre production when they can get the same mediocrity at MLB minimum from the guys in their own system.
    sorry we're boring

It's starting to look like there will be no Reds trades before August 1st:

All of the Reds key trade chips -- Adam Dunn, David Weathers, David Ross, Affeldt, etc. -- seem likely to remain when Aug. 1 rolls around. The Reds haven't been too impressed with the offers they've gotten to this point.

"I don't anticipate anything, unless somebody comes along with something that'll knock your socks off," Reds manager Dusty Baker said on Sunday. "Right now, there are a lot of people wanting to take some of our guys. It's cherry picking time, and they won't give you a whole bunch back. They say, 'Well, we'll take the salary off your hands. We're going places.' But we're trying to go places, too."

-- Mark Sheldon
    http://trades.mlblogs.com/archives/2...s_affeldt.html

Mark Sheldon could be wrong, but it looks like the offers will need to get better if there are to to be any Reds trades done before the deadline.
    Last edited by AmarilloRed; 07-28-2008 at 10:34 PM.

Turn Off Ads?