Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Latos signs 2yr deal

Re: Latos signs 2yr deal

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Hopefully this Latos deal sets the table for an extension.
    Agreed. I'm hoping for around a 4-5 year extension. I think Latos is on the verge of becoming an elite pitcher. It wouldn't surprise me if he wins a Cy Young award in the next couple seasons.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I hope the Reds keep him through his 30 year old season.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjohn25 View Post
    If that's the way he feels, then that's a shame. This organization has been very patient and supportive of Homer.
    This has been true the past couple of seasons. But prior to that, not so much. He was rushed...BADLY. The fans never really supported him early on either.

I could see him signing an extension...but it won't be for any discount. If we want to keep him, we'll have to PAY for it. If he had his preference, I think he'd prefer to head back to Texas...or at least down south. Put him in a park that doesn't so heavily penalize a fly ball...he could be a MONSTER.

I like it!

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
    I think that you are correct on Bailey. My friend hung out with Bailey for a night and said that Bailey was very open about not liking Cincinnati. He didnt have nice things to say about Bailey.
    I think we need to be very careful posting stuff like this. Even you can't be 100 percent sure it's true. But suddenly, "Bailey doesn't like the city of Cincinnati" can be taken as fact, when it's far from it. None of us heard him say it. Even you heard it second-hand.

Just has a "Ferris passed out at 31 Flavors" feel to it. Bailey finally turned the corner big-time last year. Our fans posting unsubstantiated rumors about him not liking it here just doesn't do any good, IMO.

Glad that we will have Dallas Latos and Cat Latos around for a while.

Oh and Mat too.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I think we need to be very careful posting stuff like this. Even you can't be 100 percent sure it's true. But suddenly, "Bailey doesn't like the city of Cincinnati" can be taken as fact, when it's far from it. None of us heard him say it. Even you heard it second-hand.

Just has a "Ferris passed out at 31 Flavors" feel to it. Bailey finally turned the corner big-time last year. Our fans posting unsubstantiated rumors about him not liking it here just doesn't do any good, IMO.
    You are probably right. It is gossipy I should have kept it to myself.

9. Likes:

bigredmechanism (02-12-2013),Blitz Dorsey (02-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Hopefully they can work an extension some time next year or so
    Yeah, this seems like vintage Jocketty to me. Probably broached the topic of a longer deal, but couldn't come together, so decided on a shorter one like this. It's similar, in some ways, to what they did with Votto before eventually making a longer commitment. I like it. I think that above and beyond the dollar figure (which is fine), WJ is making a statement here and preserving a good rapport with a player they obviously view as a cornerstone for the future.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I agree.

On another topic entirely, I heard Joey Votto likes fancy coffees and shopping for trendy flannel shirts.

12. Likes:

bigredmechanism (02-12-2013),The Operator (02-13-2013)

We probably should have expected this outcome. A LTC would be difficult at this point. There is too much uncertainty on both sides. Three years from now Latos could be worth $30M/yr or virtually nothing if he has health issues. From Latos's point of view, the potential for a big payday in his FA year when he will be 28, is still there. He is not likely to ever be worth more than he will at that age. From the Reds point of view, they can revisit the LTC in two years. At that point his long term value will be better known. If a LTC could not be negotiated, then the Reds would have the option of trading him or retaining him and making a qualifying offer.

It will never be as easy to go long term for pitchers as for position players. Besides the disadvantages of GABP, there is also a greater health risk which a small market team simply cannot take. The Reds can only hope that fair treatment, winning, cohesive teams, and the joy of being a big fish in a smaller pond will carry some weight.

It is not surprising that most of the top prospects are pitchers. Attracting and retaining hitters is a simpler task. A pipeline of home grown pitching is the key to maintaining competitive teams. I expect to see more HS pitchers with big arms drafted and developed slowly so that the Reds can get their full six years.

14. Likes:

Roy Tucker (02-12-2013)

Are the bonuses included in the 11.5 million or do they push it over that?

Walt does good work.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I agree.

On another topic entirely, I heard Joey Votto likes fancy coffees and shopping for trendy flannel shirts.
    and will never EVER sign a long term deal with the Reds. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    and will never EVER sign a long term deal with the Reds. Ever.
    And he's a boozer.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

19. Likes:

bigredmechanism (02-12-2013)

It's fun to be a Reds fan again
    May the Lord bless

21. Likes:

bigredmechanism (02-12-2013),The Operator (02-13-2013)

Turn Off Ads?