Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Would you like Scott Rolen back?

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

60 43.80%
  • No

77 56.20%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Fay: Rolen wants to play - do you want him back?

Re: Fay: Rolen wants to play

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Hopefully Baker lets him play regularly....and at 3B, where he has a chance to be more than serviceable defensively.

I've never understood all this Frazier to LF talk. One more reason why I hope they don't re-sign Rolen.
    I thought Frazier dropped a lot of ground balls last season. His throwing seemed fine, but he didn't show me more than average defense at third, maybe a bit less than average.

But now is the time for him to play third day in and day out, with an occasional to giver Hannahan a chance. Todd hasn't played third as much as a typical MLB regular, he was moved around the diamond quite a bit in the minors.

Now is the time for Todd to get real comfortable at third, and sink or swim. If he has a poor defensive year, Hannahan can play more, he's first rate defensively I've heard.

I think Frazier will be fine at third, but NOT if he is constantly moved around the field. I'd play him at third most days, rest him occasionally, and only use him elsewhere if absolutely necessary to fill a hole.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Re: Fay: Rolen wants to play - do you want him back?

If you need him in the clubhouse that bad, drag Dunn's easy chair out from wherever it's hid, dust it off and plant him right in the middle of it.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    If you need him in the clubhouse that bad, drag Dunn's easy chair out from wherever it's hid, dust it off and plant him right in the middle of it.
    LOL. Funny.

I had similar comical thoughts, such as creating a new coaching position. We have a "hitting coach" "fielding coach" "first base coach" "third base coach".......all kinds of coaches..........create a new one called "Team Moral coach" and stick him in the dugout. And have that typed on his uniform.

That way Scotty could be in the dugout for moral, professionalism, and just as a lucky charm. LOL. And if Frazier or Hannahan go down, have the contract ready to go during the game, sign it, and have him head out to play 3B the next inning. LOL.

On a serious note, is there a limit on how many coaches a team can have? A limit on how many non-player/non-coaches can be in the Reds dugout? You'll see players' kids sit down there sometimes......obviously equipment guys and trainers. Can you have someone like Rolen sit down there in some unspecified role or is that against mlb rules? Far-fetched anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I thought Frazier dropped a lot of ground balls last season. His throwing seemed fine, but he didn't show me more than average defense at third, maybe a bit less than average.

But now is the time for him to play third day in and day out, with an occasional to giver Hannahan a chance. Todd hasn't played third as much as a typical MLB regular, he was moved around the diamond quite a bit in the minors.

Now is the time for Todd to get real comfortable at third, and sink or swim. If he has a poor defensive year, Hannahan can play more, he's first rate defensively I've heard.

I think Frazier will be fine at third, but NOT if he is constantly moved around the field. I'd play him at third most days, rest him occasionally, and only use him elsewhere if absolutely necessary to fill a hole.
    Agreed. Reds need to use 2013 to determine if Frazier is the team's 3B for the next five years. The only exception to this would be if Votto gets injured again (in which case Frazier would have to play 1B unless somehow Neftali Soto could step up.)
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Those are HOF thumbs.

8. Likes:

Scrap Irony (02-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Half of those posts were you telling me I was an idiot.
    that was an echo... i was posting in a cave.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I'm interested in some predictions too. What do you guys think will end up happening with Rolen this year? Will he sign with the Reds? Dodgers? Retire?

Sometimes teams have to make tough decisions & sometimes teams need to make an easy decision look like a tough decision for PR's sake, maybe this is the case here. THe pasture beckons........... If the Dodgers want to overpay, let them. But I don't think the Reds can overpay for anyone at this point and theres NO ROOM on the roster.
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Not really, they are perfect complements to each other in a platoon that would OPS in the .750 range if platooned properly (while playing stellar defense at 3B). If Bruce, Votto or Ludwick go down (the 3, 4, or 5 hitters) I want that platoon on the bench ready to step in (with Frazier moving around defensively). Its a way better option than Heisey, Paul or Hannahan playing every day or even being mixed and matched.
    Four things:
    1. Why does anybody in this thread have any confidence in Rolen staying healthy/productive if he is featured in a platoon due to injury?
    2. The scenario people keep mentioning about a Hannahan/Rolen platoon with Frazier going to the OF only applies if Ludwick gets hurt. If Choo or Bruce gets hurt, Ludwick or Frazier aren't playing RF or CF.
    3. MOST IMPORTANTLY in the event of injury to a starter, Hannahan, Donald, and HRod are all members of the 40 man who could play 3rd. Paul, Heisey, Frazier, Lutz, and YRod are the only options in case of injury at 3 positions. I don't know for certain if the Reds risk losing Paul if he isn't on the 25 man, but if it is a risk it's one you absolutely can't take.
    4. Who's off the 40 man? Partch? Ravin? Soto? Masset?
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    Four things:
    1. Why does anybody in this thread have any confidence in Rolen staying healthy/productive if he is featured in a platoon due to injury?
    2. The scenario people keep mentioning about a Hannahan/Rolen platoon with Frazier going to the OF only applies if Ludwick gets hurt. If Choo or Bruce gets hurt, Ludwick or Frazier aren't playing RF or CF.
    3. MOST IMPORTANTLY in the event of injury to a starter, Hannahan, Donald, and HRod are all members of the 40 man who could play 3rd. Paul, Heisey, Frazier, Lutz, and YRod are the only options in case of injury at 3 positions. I don't know for certain if the Reds risk losing Paul if he isn't on the 25 man, but if it is a risk it's one you absolutely can't take.
    4. Who's off the 40 man? Partch? Ravin? Soto? Masset?
    While I agree, of course Frazier might move off third if Votto got hurt again. That's a major part of mth's argument.

To me, if the Reds are really concerned about major injury, third base is low priority. They already have Hannahan there. He's a pretty good backup, superb fielder, hits righties decently.

The higher priority would be middle infield. Rather than have three third sackers, concentrate on backing up Cozart and Phillips adequately. Hopefully, Donald or Izturis will do the job, but Rolen doesn't help with that arguably weaker situation.

Also worth noting that in 5 years, Hannahan has 2 innings at 2B and 9 games/24 innings at SS to those saying he could help cover the middle IF. He'll be 33 in a month, his glove might be good, but his range has to be dissipating.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Worth The Wait

Bottom line, bringing Rolen back would be purely an emotional move. If it was anyone else at his age with his numbers, skills, and injury history it wouldn't even be a topic. I love the guy like everyone else, but it just doesn't make sense.

If Rolen is interested, what do you think?

With the Reds scuffling the way they are, could his presence in the clubhouse be useful?

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    If Rolen is interested, what do you think?

With the Reds scuffling the way they are, could his presence in the clubhouse be useful?
    Only if he can hit in the 2 slot, play CF, and get on base 38% of the time.
    sorry we're boring

18. Likes:

LexRedsFan (08-02-2013)

Turn Off Ads?