Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Joey Votto - 'I want every single RBI, every single run'

Joey Votto - 'I want every single RBI, every single run'

http://www.foxsportsohio.com/mlb/cin...83&feedID=3725

It's truly a shame that he even has to defend his approach, which according to him hasn't changed one bit.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Joey Votto - 'I want every single RBI, every single run'

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...-where-we-are/

AP
    [QUOTE]
    Every time I think that the bulk of baseball fans and commentators has moved on from the dark ages of batting average and RBI meaning everything and into at least the Renaissance period that was the early-”Moneyball Days,” something odd happens to make me realize that, nope, not as many people have moved on as I thought.

This year it’s Joey Votto and the treatment he has received from the media and some fans. And actually, “media” is too broad a term. The treatment has mostly been from Paul Daugherty of the Cincinnati Enquirer, who has taken it upon himself to cut down Votto for his alleged inability to drive in runs. Daugherty has paired this with pumping up Brandon Phillips as the Reds’ MVP due to his high RBI totals (despite his worst offensive season in a while) and by waging war against “stat geeks” making simplistic and overly-broad arguments. Worth noting that the geeks and those arguments are almost certainly an invention of Daugherty’s imagination, as he attributes to them the most straw-like of straw man tendencies. It’s been a hoot, actually.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan View Post
    http://www.foxsportsohio.com/mlb/cin...83&feedID=3725

It's truly a shame that he even has to defend his approach, which according to him hasn't changed one bit.
    Brantley and Thom were on him right away, in the 1st inning last night, in a mostly passive-aggressive way, extolling the virtues of both Goldschmidt and Phillips, and then describing Votto's goal at the plate is "to not make an out".

Brantley then recalled a recent meeting with Jim Leyland, in which he told JB that Cabrera expands his strike zone in every RBI situation. Then there was silence. But they had already said what they wanted to say, and let the viewer fill in the blanks.

I have no problem with BP and them praising him at all, that's not my point (I know some will jump to BP's defense). I'm just not sure how they don't understand how runs get scored, after watching and playin (in Brantley's case) the game all these years.

We've seen lately what happens when Votto expands his strike zone in RBI situations- I think he's popped up 2x during the last week, which he hasn't done in years.

It's clear that Votto is a sensitive guy (look at his remarks on Braun), and it's clear to me that the Reds own broadcasting team is affecting him negatively.

I just want Votto to keep doing what he's doing. In fact, I'd hit him 2nd and since this is Brandon's magical year with RISP, hit him 3rd behind Choo and Votto.
    sorry we're boring

“I just hope the fans know that as long as I put a uniform on I’m in survival mode, always trying to do the very best I can,” he said. “Always trying to get the last drop of everything I have.”

Aww Joey, you lovable blankey-blank
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

6. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (08-20-2013)

Holy Mosesss Tom is a horrible announcer.

8. Likes:

Always Red (08-20-2013),BoxingRed (08-20-2013),dfs (08-20-2013),Larkin Fan (08-20-2013),MBZags (08-21-2013),reds1869 (08-20-2013),smixsell (08-20-2013)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Holy Mosesss Tom is a horrible announcer.
    I guess he's been out for a while, because I turned on the TV last night, heard his voice, and cringed.
    sorry we're boring

10. Likes:

Larkin Fan (08-20-2013),RichRed (08-20-2013),smixsell (08-20-2013),Tom Servo (08-20-2013)

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Dunn was treated the same way. He had no protection in the lineup and was blasted for taking walks and not knocking in runs when it "counted". Of course, the complainers ignored the fact that Dunn was being pitched around. If he had reached for a bad pitch and struck out (which he sometimes did), he would get blasted as well.

900+ OPS bats should be the last thing being criticized, but unfortunately that is not the case in this town.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    I guess he's been out for a while, because I turned on the TV last night, heard his voice, and cringed.
    When I turned on the TV and heard his voice AND Brantley's, I realized that it was going to be a VERY LONG night. It doesn't get any worse than that.

13. Likes:

mth123 (08-20-2013),Slyder (08-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Dunn was treated the same way. He had no protection in the lineup and was blasted for taking walks and not knocking in runs when it "counted". Of course, the complainers ignored the fact that Dunn was being pitched around. If he had reached for a bad pitch and struck out (which he sometimes did), he would get blasted as well.

900+ OPS bats should be the last thing being criticized, but unfortunately that is not the case in this town.
    Is it different in any other town? I ask that in all seriousness because I think most people, even those that don't care a ton for baseball other than going to a game or two understand that scoring runs is good and being the guy who drives those runs in is great. Those same people have no idea what OPS stands for, how the heck you'd calculate it, or why its useful.

If chicks dig the long ball, then announcers dig "the dude who picked up the hit with two outs and a man on 2nd base" It doesn't matter that the guy is on 2nd b/c the guy in front of him didn't swing at pitches off the plate, forced a walk and moved that guy along.

I have noticed Phillips' approach with RISP.

Seems that balls outside the strike zone, he still swings and fouls them off. Almost like he is refusing the walk. I'm like "jeez Brandon, take the walk, it's really OK".
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

16. Likes:

pahster (08-20-2013),remdog (08-20-2013)

When I tuned in to MLBnetworkradio this morning on my way to a 6:30 meeting (Mountain Time) they were discussing Votto and how he was not even to be considered as an MVP candidate. He needs more RBI, they said. Then defended the comment saying "don't give me the this (RBI) is a team stat nonsense." Besides, they continued...the Reds have BP and Bruce, so Votto is hardly an MVP.

Perhaps he should not be MVP, McCutchen probably deserves it. But their rationale was deplorable.

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan View Post
    When I turned on the TV and heard his voice AND Brantley's, I realized that it was going to be a VERY LONG night. It doesn't get any worse than that.
    I did the radio, and then the AZ TV feed.

The fact that the Reds own employees seem to want to beat this subject like a pińata on the airwaves is perhaps the weakest thing in a run of of good baseball in a town that claims it treasures good baseball.

Fire needs oxygen to burn and the announcers seem to be intent on providing that, damn shame and downright bush.

19. Likes:

Always Red (08-20-2013),BoxingRed (08-20-2013),Cursh14 (08-20-2013),HeatherC1212 (08-20-2013),Larkin Fan (08-20-2013),marcshoe (08-20-2013),membengal (08-22-2013),OGB (08-20-2013),OnBaseMachine (08-20-2013),RadfordVA (08-20-2013),Razor Shines (08-20-2013),reds1869 (08-20-2013),RedsBaron (08-20-2013),Redsfaithful (08-21-2013),remdog (08-20-2013),RichRed (08-20-2013),Slyder (08-20-2013),SunDeck (08-21-2013),The Operator (08-22-2013),Tom Servo (08-20-2013),Tommyjohn25 (08-20-2013),TRF (08-20-2013)

Haunted by walks

Strange thing is, Votto is probably one of the most situational hitters ever, choking up according to the count, using the whole field, lifting a single over the infield when he needs to.

We shouldn't complain about Votto's RBIs unless we let him make out the lineup card.

21. Likes:

Fil3232 (08-20-2013),remdog (08-20-2013),RFS62 (08-21-2013),smixsell (08-20-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (08-21-2013),The Operator (08-22-2013),westofyou (08-20-2013)

Past time for some changes in the Reds broadcast crew, IMHO.

23. Likes:

gilpdawg (08-20-2013),mth123 (08-20-2013),REDREAD (08-20-2013),RedsBaron (08-20-2013),remdog (08-20-2013),smixsell (08-20-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (08-21-2013),The Operator (08-22-2013),Wonderful Monds (08-20-2013)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Brantley and Thom were on him right away, in the 1st inning last night, in a mostly passive-aggressive way, extolling the virtues of both Goldschmidt and Phillips, and then describing Votto's goal at the plate is "to not make an out".
    I doubt there's ever been a hitter make it to the majors who's goal during batting is "not to make an out." That's a defensive way to play the game, and in no competition, be it baseball or chess or monopoly, is playing defensively going to lead to success. You've got to be selectively aggressive. And only selecting pitches within the strike zone, and then taking an aggressive swing at them, is a very good way to be selectively aggressive in baseball.

If the pitcher chooses to extend the inning by not giving you something good to hit, then let the inning be extended. Extend enough innings and you're going to score runs. Extend more innings than your opponent and you're going to score more runs than your opponent.

Why is it so difficult for people to let go of their past learning, their past prejudices, and accept that their view of things might not be the most realistic?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

25. Likes:

Always Red (08-20-2013),gilpdawg (08-20-2013),Larkin Fan (08-20-2013)

Turn Off Ads?