Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds to sign Russ Springer

Reds to sign Russ Springer

41 year old Russ Springer will be reporting to Louisville for 10 days before joining the Reds per MLB Traderumors

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/0...-springer.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds to sign Russ Springer

In general this seems like a good signing, but it does raise certain questions for me. Is 10 days to 2 weeks enough time? Is there a dead arm period that will kick in about the time he joins the Reds? I don't have a clue about the conditioning process or how long it takes to regain a feel for certain pitches. Can someone with a better understanding comment?

Springer is officially on the Bats roster now.

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    Springer is officially on the Bats roster now.
    A perfect inning tonight with a K. Maybe 10 days is enough. Wonder how hard he threw.

Who goes when he comes up? Cordero, Rhodes and Massett are all staying.

Bray and Ondrusek are both pitching too well to send down.

I guess you could send down Jordan Smith, but he's been pretty solid. And Owings has a different role as a long man.

I don't know, I'm actually fairly comfortable with the bullpen right now. I mean I wish they had a dominate closer, but at this point I just don't see them getting rid of Cordero.

Chances are sometime in the next month one of those guys will struggle or be hurt. I doubt Walt wants Smith and Ondrusek in a late season playoff push with no experience.

Bray isn't going anywhere, barring injury.

It's obviously going to be Ondrusek or Smith that checks out when Springer is ready. I think Ondrusek has been pitching better lately but I love Smith's sinker. He works especially well in GABP. In the end, I'm imagining that Smith will be the odd man out. Gonna be a shame, because he's been pitching well. I hope Springer can do as well.

Owings rarely seems to get into a game anymore.. even if our starters don't make it through 5. It seems like it's been awhile since we've seen Owings through more than 1 inning.. I have to imagine something might be done with him shortly

I think Jordan Smith is the next Reds closer. However, barring a collapse by Ondrusek, it seems very likely that Smith goes to AAA for further work in that role. I continue to believe that the Reds need a second closer. Putting Cordero out there in every save situation becomes even less appealing as the season wears on. I think Smith will get some chances to convert saves in September.

A further look reveals that Burton has pitched very well of late also. Suddenly, the bullpen depth is there. The pitching depth on this team for the stretch run, when pitching is at its most important, is looking good. I do not think a trade is needed, especially at the expense of top talent.

I think it is a pretty good signing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tornon View Post
    Owings rarely seems to get into a game anymore.. even if our starters don't make it through 5. It seems like it's been awhile since we've seen Owings through more than 1 inning.. I have to imagine something might be done with him shortly
    This isn't scientific (I'm looking at the "last 10outings on their website), but looking at each of our relief pitchers on the Reds roster, just a couple have had to even work more than two innings (Smith & Owings), and those were 2.1 or 2.2 - we've have no reliever whose last ten outings show going three innings or more. You're right though that Owings is little used this season. His last ten outings go back to May, whereas the rest put that only back into June. I can't remember the last time a Reds pitcher was pulled early that required a traditional long reliever.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    This isn't scientific (I'm looking at the "last 10outings on their website), but looking at each of our relief pitchers on the Reds roster, just a couple have had to even work more than two innings (Smith & Owings), and those were 2.1 or 2.2 - we've have no reliever whose last ten outings show going three innings or more. You're right though that Owings is little used this season. His last ten outings go back to May, whereas the rest put that only back into June. I can't remember the last time a Reds pitcher was pulled early that required a traditional long reliever.
    Good point. I question whether the conventional belief that teams need a 'long reliever' has any validity today, especially in the NL. Generally, teams that are forced to go to the bullpen early end up pinch hitting for the pitcher's spot. That means 2+ innings is about the limit. Add in double switches and the innings are decreased even further. About the only time that long relief still comes into play is in an early blowout when the objective becomes saving other bullpen arms for a better day. Even those situations can become an opportunity to give some work to a specialty LHP or, to keep things light, an infielder. Carrying a RP because he is capable of going 4 or more innings at the expense of a pitcher who is more capable over a 2 inning span is not an effective use of roster slots.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

According to Fay, the Reds are also giving Jason Isringhausen a tryout too.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...hausen-anyone/

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

any update on Springer? how is he doing?
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice of IH View Post
    any update on Springer? how is he doing?
    The 2007 Darryl Kile Award winner is doing great. Four scoreless innings so far.

Turn Off Ads?