Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: COY

COY

Surprised not to see threads about MOY awards last night. The Reds really came up short of post season awards, kind of surprising overall. I know many here hate Baker so are prob glad he didn't get it. I prob have my Red glasses on thinking he should have.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: COY

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    Surprised not to see threads about MOY awards last night. The Reds really came up short of post season awards, kind of surprising overall. I know many here hate Baker so are prob glad he didn't get it. I prob have my Red glasses on thinking he should have.
    You definitely have your glasses on if you think a manager whose team was a popular pick to win the WS and then has the ultimate "choke" series and loses in the frist round should be COY.

No way Dusty should've won it.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red Buckeye View Post
    You definitely have your glasses on if you think a manager whose team was a popular pick to win the WS and then has the ultimate "choke" series and loses in the frist round should be COY.

That popular pick was right when the playoffs were starting. Preseason the Reds weren't even a popular pick to win the division, most had them as a wildcard. The way the playoffs went has nothing to do with MOY voting. So if anyone that has glasses on...it is you my friend....your Ray Charles glasses!!!

You do realize the MOY does not take playoffs into account dont you? I dont recall reading many places we were favs to win it all at begining of season to be honest. Also, how do you explain Johnson then, if we choked, so did they?
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    That popular pick was right when the playoffs were starting. Preseason the Reds weren't even a popular pick to win the division, most had them as a wildcard. The way the playoffs went has nothing to do with MOY voting. So if anyone that has glasses on...it is you my friend....your Ray Charles glasses!!!
    Funny, because I bought two pre-season baseball publications and they BOTH had the Reds winning the WS! What was that? Something about Ray Charles glasses? Next...

You do realize the MOY does not take playoffs into account dont you? I dont recall reading many places we were favs to win it all at begining of season to be honest. Also, how do you explain Johnson then, if we choked, so did they?
    I do realize that, the problem is it should be taken into consideration. Playoffs DO matter ya know.

I agree, but they dont, and that was part of your arguement against Baker.
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Tons of people had us as the Division favorite.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...012/index.html

http://espn.go.com/mlb/preview12/sto...aseball-season

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HometownHero View Post
    OK, so there was a few more than I thought originally, but for Buckeye to act like they were the odds on favorite to win the World Series...preseason....is wrong. Then he puts in the "choke" series, that comes from someone who doesn't know what goes into these MOY, POY, ROY awards...it's not the post season.

I'm barn blind here--I just think the baseball writers have deliberately shut the Reds out of everything this year. Now where's that pouting baby smilie....

Reds had alot of good players but none that were really elite besides Bruce when he was on his hot streak and Votto when healthy. Inconsistency and Injuries did them in

I agree, but they dont, and that was part of your arguement against Baker.
    Fair enough. You guys win! But even if the playoffs have no bearing on COY I think it'd be hard to argue Johnson shouldn't have won it. How many games under .500 did Washington finish in 2011? I don't know and am just asking but to go from yearly losers to the best MLB record is quite a feat.

Bounty, sorry to come off condenscending in my original response. Looking back at my post I owe you an apology.

Davey Johnson deserved it over Dusty. It's not even close really.

Coach of the Year is really an award that ends up being expectations vs. results. As others have mentioned, as soon as folks were picking the Reds to win the division, Dusty's fate was sealed.

Now, as far as merit goes, I'm in the "Dusty doesn't deserve it" camp. Any manager who would trot out 2 of the 7 worst OBP in all of baseball in the top 2 spots for 3/4 of a season just in no way, shape or form would get my vote

Fair enough. You guys win! But even if the playoffs have no bearing on COY I think it'd be hard to argue Johnson shouldn't have won it. How many games under .500 did Washington finish in 2011? I don't know and am just asking but to go from yearly losers to the best MLB record is quite a feat.

Bounty, sorry to come off condenscending in my original response. Looking back at my post I owe you an apology.
    No worries Buckeye, and in the end, what any of us think doesn't matter anyway in the big picture. I agre with your points above, but also think Johnson had the benfit of years of stockpiling high drafts picks which obviously helped build a good team for years to come now. I dont think Johnson was a bad pick by any means and admit my homerism thought Dusty should have got it, esp after the bullpen injuries, and mainly doing so well when Votto went down.
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Turn Off Ads?