Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Cardinals are luckiest team in baseball.

Re: Cardinals are luckiest team in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofStLouis View Post
    Don't think that didn't occur to me before I posted it.

Fortunately, I'm not superstitious and don't believe in jinxes and curses.
    I don't believe in jinxes either. It's unlucky to believe in them
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMO View Post
    As a Reds fan stuck in MO, I can't stand the Cards. The "Cardinal Way" and the "Best fans in baseball" stuff out here is sickening. I'm sure some of my co-workers will put this SI cover in a frame over their desk. The Cards won't be there in the end, and I can't wait until the lucky streak of sneaking into the playoffs is over. The Reds pitching staff is better top to bottom, and was even before Garcia went down.
    You very well could be right (except the lucky part). I do find it curious that for every thread I read espousing the virtues of the Reds' superiority, a trade proposal thread pops up.

Color me confused.
    We can share the women, we can share the wine.

4. Likes:

If the cards had an inning like the reds did today against Parnell this thread would be blowing up

6. Likes:

MikeThierry (05-23-2013)

You very well could be right (except the lucky part). I do find it curious that for every thread I read espousing the virtues of the Reds' superiority, a trade proposal thread pops up.

Color me confused.
    Only player reds fans want to make a trade for is a right handed left fielder because Ludwick is out indefinitely. Reds pitching is excellent, defense is solid, and everything is going well. Just because a few fans started trade proposal threads doesn't mean the entire fanbase is screaming for a trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    If the cards had an inning like the reds did today against Parnell this thread would be blowing up
    I saw that, you might as well give Ike Davis a trash can lid instead of a glove.

9. Likes:

OGB (05-25-2013)

I saw that, you might as well give Ike Davis a trash can lid instead of a glove.
    Like I always say, put the ball in play and luck happens. Strike out and only splinters in your butt happen. I've seen harder balls hit with pool cues than the ones Phillips and Frazier hit that inning but they got the job done. Just more evidence showing that strikeouts do matter in certain situations and putting the ball in play can play a huge role.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Like I always say, put the ball in play and luck happens. Strike out and only splinters in your butt happen. I've seen harder balls hit with pool cues than the ones Phillips and Frazier hit that inning but they got the job done. Just more evidence showing that strikeouts do matter in certain situations and putting the ball in play can play a huge role.
    Never bought the modern argument that strike outs are overrated. Anything is possible once you put the bat on the ball.

Never bought the modern argument that strike outs are overrated. Anything is possible once you put the bat on the ball.
    I don't fully buy into it. Inthinknthere are definitely situations where it helps to put the ball in play but others where it's ok to air it out. It's just the latest fad in baseball analysis right now. I remember like 10 years ago how a huge deal was made about how many pitches a hitter can work a pitcher and it was shown the best two perceived teams at the time, the Yankees and Red Sox worked the most pitches. Philosophies change with time. I think the best approach to player and team analysis is taking parts of all of them and not valuing one of them over another or saying that one stat is infallible and supreme to the others, much like I see OPS or wOBA thrown around on here.

Tonight Tyler Lyons became the 7th pitcher in MLB history making his debut to bat before he threw a pitch.

His line (so far) : 6 IP 3 H 0 R 1 BB 4 K 75 pitches 48 K

The guy's a John Tudor clone, nothing over 90 mph, soft and softer. About time we got a soft tosser, we sure can't hit 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMO View Post
    As a Reds fan stuck in MO, I can't stand the Cards. The "Cardinal Way" and the "Best fans in baseball" stuff out here is sickening. I'm sure some of my co-workers will put this SI cover in a frame over their desk. The Cards won't be there in the end, and I can't wait until the lucky streak of sneaking into the playoffs is over. The Reds pitching staff is better top to bottom, and was even before Garcia went down.
    I agree with you about the Best fans in baseball stuff. We can't claim that after Jack Buck died. He set the tone for Cardinals nation to act and we don't have that strong presence anymore.

However, the Cardinal Way is legit. It's been that way since Branch Rickey started the minor league system back in the day for the Cardinals. I think part of it goes into having guys understanding the fundamentals in the minors rather than learning it on the big league level as well as not calling up guys to start until they are fully ready to play. Matt Carpenter is a perfect example of it. Of course there are other clubs that do the same thing but it has been a constant with the Cardinals since day one of the minor league sytem. This is especially true during the George Kissell years, who is arguably the best developer of minor league talent in the history of baseball.

This article sort of explains it a bit better than I can:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseb...85b1f5ac2.html

Here is a pretty good obituary discussing Kissell and what he meant as far as developing players in the Cardinals organization.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/to-st-l...ofessor/844773

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I agree with you about the Best fans in baseball stuff. We can't claim that after Jack Buck died. He set the tone for Cardinals nation to act and we don't have that strong presence anymore.

However, the Cardinal Way is legit. It's been that way since Branch Rickey started the minor league system back in the day for the Cardinals. I think part of it goes into having guys understanding the fundamentals in the minors rather than learning it on the big league level as well as not calling up guys to start until they are fully ready to play. Matt Carpenter is a perfect example of it. Of course there are other clubs that do the same thing but it has been a constant with the Cardinals since day one of the minor league sytem. This is especially true during the George Kissell years, who is arguably the best developer of minor league talent in the history of baseball.

This article sort of explains it a bit better than I can:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseb...85b1f5ac2.html

Here is a pretty good obituary discussing Kissell and what he meant as far as developing players in the Cardinals organization.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/to-st-l...ofessor/844773
    One can just imagine how many more World Series trophies the Cardinals would have if not for Kenesaw Mountain Landis.

He deemed that the Redbirds had such an unfair advantage with Rickey's minor league network, he forced the team to give up 50 players (dispersed among the other teams) not once, but twice.

Talk about the man keeping you down. Maybe we'd have 27 championships.

16. Likes:

MikeThierry (05-23-2013)

One can just imagine how many more World Series trophies the Cardinals would have if not for Kenesaw Mountain Landis.

He deemed that the Redbirds had such an unfair advantage with Rickey's minor league network, he forced the team to give up 50 players (dispersed among the other teams) not once, but twice.

Talk about the man keeping you down. Maybe we'd have 27 championships.
    lol I wouldn't go that far on the championships but what Landis did was ridiculous. People say guys like Goodell and Stern have too much power as commissioners but they don't have nearly the same kind of power that Landis had.

In keeping with the title of the thread, the Cards do have the NL's 2nd highest BABIP at .311(Giants at .312). Reds are at .296.

Though last year, the Reds also posted a .296 BABIP, while the Cardinals were against 2nd in the NL at .316

Quote Originally Posted by Goose1701 View Post
    In keeping with the title of the thread, the Cards do have the NL's 2nd highest BABIP at .311(Giants at .312). Reds are at .296.

Though last year, the Reds also posted a .296 BABIP, while the Cardinals were against 2nd in the NL at .316
    That could lead to luck for sure, or a variety of other things such as guys hitting the ball harder or good hit placement which isn't totally luck. I think when the reds take the next step and win it all the things being said such as the cards are lucky and the playoffs are a crapshoot, which sound very excuse like to me, will dissipate.

SAWEEET !
    This is neat. Garcia is out for the year but you can insert Chris Carpenter in his place in about 3 weeks and keep moving on. Maybe they can take this picture again in 3 weeks with Carp in it instead of Garcia. The pitching depth STL has is absolutely amazing. Insane!

Turn Off Ads?