Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Votto Returning Tuesday?

Votto Returning Tuesday?

Joey Votto comes back Tuesday. I think there's a chance that happens. I'm pretty sure the Reds have a very good idea when Votto will return, but they don't want to say. If he's coming back Tuesday, you can probably wait till then and not make a move.
    http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

Oh Lord please, let it be true. I think EE is supposed to taking batting practice this weekend and possibily go out on rehab as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Votto Returning Tuesday?

EE is scheduled for an MRI on Monday. Doubt he is doing anything until those results come back.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

If Votto indeed comes back Tuesday, we won't find out until Wednesday.....if you know what I mean.
    "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?!"

That would be huge, if true. It would be great if the Reds can take two of three in Kansas City and then get Votto back on Tuesday as the Reds start a six game homestand. Votto's still not enough though. This offense is still poor even with him in there.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    EE is scheduled for an MRI on Monday. Doubt he is doing anything until those results come back.
    I read that the MRI was earlier in the week and came back negative, so he is resuming hitting.

Quote Originally Posted by fisch11 View Post
    If Votto indeed comes back Tuesday, we won't find out until Wednesday.....if you know what I mean.
    Very good, point. He's come back from this a few times already. Hopefully he's really turned the corner.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Very good, point. He's come back from this a few times already. Hopefully he's really turned the corner.
    Perhaps getting it out semi-publicly has helped him as well, not having to worry so much about 'hiding' it within.

That's my .25 cent pyschology degree at work.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    That would be huge, if true. It would be great if the Reds can take two of three in Kansas City and then get Votto back on Tuesday as the Reds start a six game homestand. Votto's still not enough though. This offense is still poor even with him in there.
    i agree 100%

lets assume Votto is back soon & EE's return is far off.
    lets also assume management wakes up & benches Taveras (using Dickerson +- Hairston in CF).
    we would still have pretty big holes at SS & 3B. filling one of them is essential if this team wants to make the playoffs (IMO)

On the brink of disaster

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    i agree 100%

lets assume Votto is back soon & EE's return is far off.
    lets also assume management wakes up & benches Taveras (using Dickerson +- Hairston in CF).
    we would still have pretty big holes at SS & 3B. filling one of them is essential if this team wants to make the playoffs (IMO)
    What hole is there at shortstop? Gonzo is one of the best defenders in the league this year and SS is not a traditionally offensive position. This is one spot I would not be willing to give up defense for offense. I do agree that they need to do something at 3B. Dickerson can be fine in CF, but he still won't provide the power this team needs. If they truly want to compete they will have to put power at 3B and hope Nix/Gomes can keep from entering a prolonged slump and produce. I wouldn't be against replacing Nix in LF for the right player if they can produce consistently although I hope Nix can start to produce like he was expected to early in his career.

Votto update, pregame notes
    Posted by JohnFay at 6/12/2009 6:55 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Reds general manager Walt Jocketty says when Joey Votto returns is up to Votto.

But it sounds like it won’t be immediately after he’s eligible to return from the DL. Votto is eligible to come off the DL Sunday.

“We really haven’t put any timetable on it,” Jocketty said. “But I think he is feeling better and working out.”

Votto will go on rehab assignment.

“I’m not sure when that will be,” Jocketty said. “We’re talking about it.”

If Votto came to the Reds and said he wanted to go now, they’d allow it begin it.

“When he says he’s ready to go he’ll go,” Jocketty said.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

Anyone else concerned that the fanbase and the media are looking toward Votto to comeback and rescue this horrible offense? Like the rest of us, I don't know exactly what is going on with Votto, but given the vague descriptions, it would seem like the least likely environment for success in this situation. The pressure of being the savior doesn't seem like its something this guy needs right now.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

If the Reds don't make some moves fast they are done again. It's time to trade Harang and Arroyo and go for it. The Reds need some major help at multiple positions.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    If the Reds don't make some moves fast they are done again. It's time to trade Harang and Arroyo and go for it. The Reds need some major help at multiple positions.
    I've never been convinced about this team, but I can't see a deal of Harang or Arroyo happening while the team is only 2 games out of first and only a game behind in the wild card. I think we're more likely to see a deal involving some of the kids for a proven bat or two. I'm not in favor of kids for rentals in general but it might be the best thing for Joey if somebody else is the "savior" before he returns. It probably wouldn't hurt Jay Bruce' development either.

It may just be that a trade for "now" could be the best thing for the future in this team's case. The team seems to have a lot of depth from which to deal and even if a few kids are dealt, the cupboard won't be bare in the minor leagues.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    I may understand what your trying to say but to me it seems like your saying the Reds should trade Harang and Arroyo to push for the playoffs? If I'm incorrect ignore the following. The Reds need pitching and trading away Harang and Arroyo aren't going to help a thing. Especially with Volquez injured. I agree they need to do something if they want to make the playoffs but trading away two of the best pitchers in the NL isn't going to help a bit IMO. UNLESS some knock out prospects are involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    I may understand what your trying to say but to me it seems like your saying the Reds should trade Harang and Arroyo to push for the playoffs? If I'm incorrect ignore the following. The Reds need pitching and trading away Harang and Arroyo aren't going to help a thing. Especially with Volquez injured. I agree they need to do something if they want to make the playoffs but trading away two of the best pitchers in the NL isn't going to help a bit IMO. UNLESS some knock out prospects are involved.
    I don't consider Arroyo one of the best pitchers in the NL. I would still offer him to people out there. There are still some fossils in front offices that love win loss records for pitchers and they might bite on him. He is a innings eater.

Gotta trade talent to get talent. I would gamble on letting go of Harang/Arroyo. I would sink or swim with Maloney/Bailey/Stewart soon.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Turn Off Ads?