Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Phil Ervin

Re: Phil Ervin

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I still can't believe Ervin lasted until the 27th pick. First Stephenson two years ago and now Ervin.

I think it helps that Mr. Red wears the No. 27 and the MVP of the 1990 World Series donned the No. 27.

Ervin being the MVP of the Cape Cod league last year -- coupled with his good junior season at Samford despite playing injured -- should have made him at least a top-20 pick IMO. We were very fortunate. Great job by Buckley and his staff as usual. I fully expect to see Ervin in Cincinnati by the end of the 2015 season (and will be a fixture with the Reds from the start of 2016 on). Love that he and Winker are in the system as our top-two young outfielders.

Speaking of Winker, it's a matter of time before Ervin gets promoted to Dayton this year and joins Winker with the Dragons. I give him about another 2 weeks in Billings max. I look for Dayton to promote Arias to Bakersfield and then Ervin will get promoted to Dayton.
    like to see all 3 together at one time..

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    like to see all 3 together at one time..
    Mr. Red, Jose Rijo and Robert Stephenson?

Oh, oh ... Arias, Ervin and Winker. I see ya.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Guy sounds a lot like X. Paul
    Sounds to me a lot like Ron Gant
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I look for Dayton to promote Arias to Bakersfield and then Ervin will get promoted to Dayton.
    You are 50 percent correct.

Hmmm. Ervin to Dayton, but who to Bakersfield? Maybe Gelalich....

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    What does this mean? Is Ervin being promoted?

Arias to Bakersfield, Adam Matthews to Dayton. They must see some stuff with Ervin that they think needs a little work before he moves up, even though his numbers are not showing any deficiencies.

9. Likes:

lollipopcurve (07-03-2013)

Arias to Bakersfield
    Will be interesting to see how he adjusts. Huge move in terms of geography and playing atmosphere. He's been in the Midwest League for a while now.

I am a little surprised because he was just finding his game and building some confidence. He struggles with off-speed. It may take them a little time in the Cal League for pitchers to get a book on him. As I have said, best raw tools in the Reds org. If he does well in Bakersfield, he will be a Reds top-10 prospect going into next season. I still need to see it for more than a half season before I am buying in.

Arias could should thrive in the Cal League after perhaps a short adjustment period. I am so hoping he does...the system could use a good news boost like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Sounds to me a lot like Ron Gant
    Yes, I would agree that sounds like a good comparison. I've heard another one that I would prefer even more: Kirby Puckett.

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    I'll take it. I look at this as the Reds throwing Billings a bone and letting them see the first-round pick for a month or so. Then Ervin will be promoted to Dayton and play there for a month or so to finish out the season. Keeping all the affiliates happy. He'll probably begin next year at Bakersfield and will hopefully get called up to Pensacola next year.

Good to know Arias was promoted. That needed to happen.

In 3 years will our outfield be Winker - Ervin - Bruce?
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
    In 3 years will our outfield be Winker - Ervin - Bruce?
    Probably depends on whether Billy Hamilton learns to manage AAA/major league hitting.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Probably depends on whether Billy Hamilton learns to manage AAA/major league hitting.
    ... and whether Winker and Ervin can do the same.

Counting on all three of those guys panning out is a sucker's bet. Odds are at least one, possibly two, and maybe even all three will flop. When looking at prospects, the safe money is almost always on failure.

18. Likes:

RadfordVA (07-05-2013),Tom Servo (07-04-2013)

Turn Off Ads?