Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Have you? Would you? Fantasy camp

Re: Have you? Would you? Fantasy camp

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Yeah, I would never go that far.

A slight twist on the original question, would you plan and save to go to fantasy camp?
    I would--If I don't get back until then, I hope to go for my 50th birthday as well. (If my kids would get scholarships to college or a long lost rich relative would die and leave me an inheritance, I could get back there much sooner!)
    Where we gonna go?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    There's a 40th birthday theme that I seem to have missed out on!
    I went to Cooperstown for my 40th. Easier on the wallet than Fantasy Camp and just plain awesome (though I'm sure Reds Fantasy Camp is amazing too).
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

How much does fantasy camp cost? How long does it last?

Seems I heard it was around $4,000.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    Seems I heard it was around $4,000.
    And it lasts a week. You go on Saturday, start playing Sunday--play 2 games Monday-Thursday. Friday you play a three inning game against the pros on the big field and you go home Saturday.

They provide breakfast and lunch everyday and dinner a couple of nights (first Sunday, last Friday I think).
    Where we gonna go?

I know you get a uniform... do they provide your lodging?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    I went to Cooperstown for my 40th. Easier on the wallet than Fantasy Camp and just plain awesome (though I'm sure Reds Fantasy Camp is amazing too).
    My youngest was conceived on my 40th birthday.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    And it lasts a week. You go on Saturday, start playing Sunday--play 2 games Monday-Thursday. Friday you play a three inning game against the pros on the big field and you go home Saturday.

They provide breakfast and lunch everyday and dinner a couple of nights (first Sunday, last Friday I think).
    Am I reading this correctly... four grand and you play a total of three innings against the pros?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Yes, but you are coached by them all week, hang out with them in the clubhouse, and at the "kangaroo court" every night and drinks afterward. It's a great experience. Mine was a gift, but I would do it again in a heartbeat. The clubhouse staff, the Stowe's" treat everyone like big leaguers. It is very well done.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Yes, but you are coached by them all week, hang out with them in the clubhouse, and at the "kangaroo court" every night and drinks afterward. It's a great experience. Mine was a gift, but I would do it again in a heartbeat. The clubhouse staff, the Stowe's" treat everyone like big leaguers. It is very well done.
    Oh ok. Well that's not too bad then. Not sure it's worth that much money, but I suppose if I had $4K burning a hole in my wallet, it would be something I'd definitely do.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    I know you get a uniform... do they provide your lodging?
    Yes.
    Where we gonna go?

You get a uniform, (a home jersey and a BP jersey, pants, belt, socks and cap) and a jacket. Awfully sweet, walking in the clubhouse every morning, seeing your name on the back of that clean uniform hanging in your locker. You also get a wooden bat to use and keep. I got two as I broke the first one midway through the week. We also got a bat signed by all the big leaguers. They take pictures every day and those are available for sale throughout the week. If I remember right, you also get a team picture of yourself and all the big league players.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    You get a uniform, (a home jersey and a BP jersey, pants, belt, socks and cap) and a jacket. Awfully sweet, walking in the clubhouse every morning, seeing your name on the back of that clean uniform hanging in your locker. You also get a wooden bat to use and keep. I got two as I broke the first one midway through the week. We also got a bat signed by all the big leaguers. They take pictures every day and those are available for sale throughout the week. If I remember right, you also get a team picture of yourself and all the big league players.
    So how sore and wore out were those forty something guys having played doubleheaders for four straight days??
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    So how sore and wore out were those forty something guys having played doubleheaders for four straight days??
    It depended on what kind of shape you were in prior to coming to the camp. The trainers (Mark Mann and his group) were fantastic, they would get rid of your aches and pains. My quads hurt after the first day, but they rubbed them down with icy-hot and they felt ok after that.

The funny thing was how some guys just fell apart during the week. We had a guy who was about 50 who hit a homer in the tryout game (they draft the teams to try to make them competitive) and was a very good pitcher. By late Tuesday he was slowing down and by Thursday could barely walk or throw.

It was really about the pacing--if you didn't wear yourself out on day one, you would be ok for the week--if you played like Ryan Freel on day one, you lasted until day two.
    Where we gonna go?

I ended up playing third and short a lot. I was not in great shape, but by the end of the week I think I was the only player on my team who could get the ball across the infield. Pitching definitely got worse as the week wore on. I was pretty sore by Tuesday evening, but I took a couple of long hot baths and it worked its way out every day. My wife surprised me with the camp, and I had no time to get in any type of shape. I was not, out of shape, but definitely not in baseball shape. If I ever go again, I will plan it a little better. At 48, now, I would have to plan it better.

You are right, SOL, that you really need to pace yourself. The guys who were diving and making long throws during the tryout game, trying to impress, were absent at the end of the week. The worst part of our week was when one of the campers fouled a ball off the plate and it bounced up and knocked his two front teeth out. First day, he is on the shelf and has a nice dentist bill to boot. I really felt bad for the guy.

Turn Off Ads?