Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Yonder Alonso

Re: Yondor Alonso

i guess that explains why i didn't see him on a roster yet.sure hope we can get him signed,he's a stud.
    Chris Sabo is my All-Time favorite Red

2. Turn Off Ads?

Reds scouting director Chirs Buckley said the club has started talks with top pick Yonder Alfonso and the Reds are pursuing the Michael Inoa, the 16-year-old Dominican pitching prospect.

Alfonso, the first baseman from Miami, just returned home after his team was eliminated in the College World Series.

"He's ready to go," Buckley said. "His agent is doing his deal. So much of these contracts are about future recruitment next year. That's what sells players on agents. Scott Boras has done so much to get players deal. other agents use his tactics. Yonder was the seventh pick in the draft. I feel very strongly that we'll sign him. He just got back from the World Series. Rest isn't a bad thing for him right now."

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

sounds to me like this one might end up pushing the deadline.

I don't think it'll take too long. I bet he's signed by the ASB, maybe by July 1.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I don't think it'll take too long. I bet he's signed by the ASB, maybe by July 1.
    I think so too. Yonder doesn't want to completely lose the summer does he. Look at how Hildenbrandt lost his first year. Yonder should be wanting to get going ASAP.

this isn't about Alonso ...

from Buckley
    "His agent is doing his deal. So much of these contracts are about future recruitment next year. That's what sells players on agents. Scott Boras has done so much to get players deal. other agents use his tactics.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

People really have problems spelling Yonder Alonso correctly (posters, journalists, everyone).

The Reds need to get him signed before the AS break IMO so he can get a good amount of ABs at Sarasota.

Any news on his contract status? Also when is the last date the Reds can sign him? I can see a slight problem with Alonso since he is a Jr can't he go back to school next season if the Reds don't sign him?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Any news on his contract status? Also when is the last date the Reds can sign him? I can see a slight problem with Alonso since he is a Jr can't he go back to school next season if the Reds don't sign him?
    August 15th is the deadline.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

The Reds haven't signed top pick Yonder Alfonso yet. I asked Walt Jocketty about it last night.

He's leaving the negotiations to scouting director Chris Buckley. But it sounds like the Reds won't go way out the "bracket" to sign Alonso.

"We really like this guy," Jocketty said. "I think we'll sign him. We know what he think his value is. We'll see what happens."

MLB gives clubs recommendations on what a pick is worth. The pick right before Alonso signed, catcher Kyle Skipworth, signed with Florida for a reported $2.4 million. That was right in line what what MLB recommended. The Reds would likely give Alonso that right now. Alonso has asked for a big league contract -- every top pick does -- but the Reds would like to avoid that. The thought is the log jam will break once one of college junior's breaks.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

I'd like to see him signed before August 1st so he can play at least one month of pro ball this year just to get a feel for how advanced he is and if he's ready to begin in AA next season.

If he signs late, it wouldn't surprise me if the Reds send him to the Fall Instructional League. I guess if he's a Junior and can return to Miami then Boras is technically just "an advisor"? Wonder if he will threaten the Independant League route?

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    If he signs late, it wouldn't surprise me if the Reds send him to the Fall Instructional League. I guess if he's a Junior and can return to Miami then Boras is technically just "an advisor"? Wonder if he will threaten the Independant League route?
    doesn't really matter, if he doesn't sign by the deadline(in August) then the Reds will get a comp pick next year.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

No need to screw around here. We took this kid No. 7 overall and he's a proven 21-year-old bat. Sign him and don't worry about pinching pennies. Give me the same attitude I see with going after 16-year-old unproven Dominicans and Venezuelans. Aggressive.

Actually, I'm not too worried about it at all. He will sign. I would just prefer if it was right now so he could get as many ABs as possible with wooden bat. He's not completely foreign to it since he played in the Cape Cod summer league, but if the Reds are going to sign him eventually, might as well do it now.

I agree if the reds are willing to shell out 5 million and a ml contract to a 16 year old then I have no reason to believe they will punt the yonder pick.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Turn Off Ads?