Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aaron Boone to ESPN

Aaron Boone to ESPN

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4938385

For Aaron Boone, Tuesday signaled the formal end to his playing career and, at the same time, the launch of his role as an analyst of the game he played for 12 major league seasons.

Boone announced his retirement from Major League Baseball and will debut as part of ESPN's "Baseball Tonight" panel starting in March. He also will make select appearances on ESPN as a game analyst.

"It is with a sense of pride, sadness, and enthusiasm that I formally announce my retirement after 16 years of professional baseball," Boone said. "It has been a privilege and honor to have played in the major leagues for 12 seasons for six different clubs.

"While it's tough to leave the game as a player, I am eager to start my next career with my new team at ESPN. I am very grateful that I'll be able to stay in the game as an ESPN analyst and work with people who share the same passion for baseball that I do."

Boone's last games in the majors were played for the Houston Astros -- he was activated in September just five months after having open-heart surgery. He played in 10 games for Houston. He is believed to be the first player to return to the major leagues after having open-heart surgery.

Boone, who played every infield position during his career, spent his first six-plus seasons with the Cincinnati Reds. In 2003, he was dealt to the New York Yankees at the trade deadline, and his career-defining moment came in the old Yankee Stadium in the form of an 11th-inning, Game 7 of the 2003 AL Championship Series that lifted New York past the Boston Red Sox and into the World Series.

"As a player, Aaron was a tremendous competitor known for one of baseball's most dramatic postseason walk-off home runs," said Jay Levy, senior coordinating producer for ESPN. "He offers an important perspective, being recently removed from the game and having deep baseball roots, which will make him a great addition to our team."

Boone, who turns 37 on March 9, had his best season in 2003, when he was an All-Star and combined to hit 24 home runs and 96 RBIs and bat .267 for Cincinnati and the Yankees. He also played for the Cleveland Indians, Florida Marlins and Washington Nationals.

The Boone family has produced three generations of big-league talent -- former All-Star third baseman Ray Boone (Aaron's grandfather), former All-Star catcher and manager Bob Boone (father) and retired All-Star second baseman Bret Boone (brother).
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Aaron Boone to ESPN

Did they give him a major league deal? Did ESPN bid against themselves?

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

3 generations of Boone major leaguers, sometimes I forget that. It's the "all star" tag in front of all of them that I find the most impressive.

We've seen lots of multi-generational MLB families. But rarely with the success the Boone's had.

I wonder how many players can claim that they were ejected from their first major league game?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

All dyslexics must untie!

Aaron Boone is the Bobby Thomson of his generation. Good player, best known for one special dinger

He's an articulate guy, so he should do well. But who thinks if his name wasn't Boone and he hadn't hit that tater that he'd be hired by the world-wide leader? (Casey and Larkin had to cut their broadcasting teeth at ML Network...)
    Never overlook the obvious

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I like

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    Aaron Boone is the Bobby Thomson of his generation. Good player, best known for one special dinger

He's an articulate guy, so he should do well. But who thinks if his name wasn't Boone and he hadn't hit that tater that he'd be hired by the world-wide leader? (Casey and Larkin had to cut their broadcasting teeth at ML Network...)
    It's hard to say how ESPN bases their hires. I mean, Chris Singleton, Orestes Destrade, and Eduardo Perez aren't exactly household names.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    I agree. You can't help but wonder if that one homer is what opened the door at ESPN.

Still, he comes from a baseball family and that definitely carries some weight.

ESPN covers baseball?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    ESPN covers baseball?
    No, just the Yankees, Red Sox, and Cubs.

I researched my family tree on Ancestry.com and found I'm related to the Boones, so as a distant cousin, I wish Aaron the best of luck. Now I wish I could take back a few of the things I said about Bob Boone when he was managing the Reds! Oh well....

Former Reds who have been analysts on national TV networks:

Joe Morgan
    Rob Dibble
    Sean Casey
    Barry Larkin
    Aaron Boone
    Eduardo Perez
    Jeff Brantley
    Ray Knight

Who else?

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    Former Reds who have been analysts on national TV networks:

Joe Morgan
    Rob Dibble
    Sean Casey
    Barry Larkin
    Aaron Boone
    Eduardo Perez
    Jeff Brantley
    Ray Knight

Who else?
    Jim Bowden

I absolutely LOVE the bolded part of this article. You've brought me a lot of happiness (and hearache), Aaron. Best of luck. Love ya.

Playoff hero Boone announces retirement
    Player whose homer sent Yanks to '03 Series joins ESPN
    02/23/10 1:51 PM EST

Aaron Boone, the last active link to one of baseball's most enduring families, announced his retirement and his intention to begin a career as a broadcaster for ESPN on Tuesday. Boone, part of a three-generation chain of All-Stars, last played for the Houston Astros in a distinguished career highlighted by a famous postseason home run for the New York Yankees.

The former infielder will end his career with a .263 batting average, 126 homers and 555 RBIs. Boone's grandfather, Ray Boone, was an All-Star in 1954 and '56 for the Detroit Tigers. His father, catcher Bob Boone, was a four-time All-Star and a manager of two teams, and brother Bret Boone was a three-time All-Star for the Cincinnati Reds and Seattle Mariners.

"This is a very exciting day for me, one I feel like I've been working on here all offseason," said the youngest Boone as part of a conference call on Tuesday. "In a lot of ways, although I'm retiring from the game, I feel like it's just another step in the game. I went from being drafted to making the big leagues to being an everyday player to being a role player, a bench player. And now to be an analyst -- although I'm taking my uniform off, in a lot of ways, it doesn't feel like I'm retiring."

Boone, who was drafted and developed by Cincinnati, broke in as a starter at third base in 1998 and held that position for several seasons. He hit 14 home runs in '99, kicking off a string six straight years with double-digit homer totals. Boone played under his father from 2001-03, but the Reds relieved the manager and dealt the player just before the Trade Deadline.

And though Boone was an All-Star with the Reds that season, he made his biggest impact in October. The former third-round draftee had slumped in the Division Series, but he broke Boston's back by blasting an 11th-inning walk-off homer in the seventh game of the American League Championship Series, a shot that lifted the Yankees into the World Series against the Marlins.

"People obviously know me for the home run and ask me about it all the time," Boone said. "My recollection of that, as I've told many people, is very hazy and not one of those vivid photographic memories. I think the biggest memory that I have that's clear in my mind -- I can see it like it was yesterday -- was taking the field in 1999 in the one-game playoff with the Mets. It was a cool, drizzly, hazy night, and I'll never forget running onto the field at Cynergy Field and just a sea of red. That playoff weather. It was the neatest feeling I've ever had running onto the field, but unfortunately the game ended by Al Leiter dominating us that night.

"That was one of those clear memories, and all my teammates, just the great friends I made. Also, getting to play in an All-Star Game and having my grandfather there, my dad there and my brother also in the game. That was a special week for my family."

Boone, who will turn 37 in March, missed the entire 2004 season after injuring his left knee in an offseason basketball game. The Yankees wound up replacing him with iconic third baseman Alex Rodriguez. Boone ultimately came back in '05 and spent two years with the Indians, then played out single-season tours with Florida, Washington and Houston. Boone's last stop -- a 10-game stint with the Astros in '09 -- came just five months after he had open-heart surgery to replace a bicuspid aortic valve.

Boone didn't manage a hit in those 10 games with Houston, but he is believed to be the first player to return from open-heart surgery and play in the Major Leagues. Ed Wade, Houston's general manager, talked Tuesday about Boone's legacy.

"Terrific guy, terrific playing career, which gets somewhat overshadowed -- at least in the Houston market -- by what he went through last year," said Wade. "Tremendous courage, great baseball family.

"And I certainly hope that over the course of the next 50 years that he fills a multitude of roles in baseball. I think he'd be a terrific broadcaster, I think he'd be a terrific GM at some point in time. ... I've known his dad since 1977, and I take pride in the fact that we were a part of his successful battle last year. I think we created an environment for him to do exactly what we promised him -- to get back on the field in September."

Boone said he virtually knew his career was over when the season ended, and he said he never really considered taking some time off before beginning his next endeavor. Boone, who will work on ESPN's Baseball Tonight program, also said that he never really wanted to be a coach or a manager and that he's coveted the role of broadcaster since he was a kid.

"I think in a lot of ways, today, although different, is almost just as exciting," he said. "This is something I've always pictured myself doing, envisioned myself doing. As a little kid, going to bed at night listening to Harry Kalas and Richie Ashburn call Phillies games, it left a lasting impression on me. I can't wait to get going at it. I think the one thing I'll miss is my teammates and that camaraderie you get from them and from competing against the best, but this is something that's a different challenge."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Booooooooone!

Baseball Tonight is still on?
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Turn Off Ads?