Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324

Thread: 5/27/2013 Reds v. Indians in the Battle for Ohio

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Re: 5/27/2013 Reds v. Indians in the Battle for Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Shenanigans. Throwing at a guy deserves a suspension. Why? Because there is never a case where throwing at a guy is called for.
    Your opinion. (And not one shared by most guys who have won at a high level.)
    Rounding third and heading for home...

2. Likes:

Norm Chortleton (05-28-2013),TSJ55 (05-28-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

When you try to show up a pitcher don't be surprised when he drills you. It has been that way for a very long time, and actually has lessened recently with so many players on opposing teams being friends with one another. It used to be the way the game was played, and for some still is.

I don't agree with headhunting (if that is what Chapman was indeed doing), yet I knew as soon as Swisher stared down Chapman he was going to get the next one nice and tight. I also knew DeJesus was going to get buzzed by Cueto. It was clear Cueto was tired of his constant delays in the batting box in DeJesus's first at bat.

There are still managers that believe in policing the game within itself, and Dusty is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    Your opinion. (And not one shared by most guys who have won at a high level.)
    False fan bluster (and no one who has won at a high level is fine with a pitcher trying to bean a hitter....do it and get thrown out of he game....do it and it might start a brawl).
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

The thing I'm trying to figure out is why everyone is so outraged because of Chapman's velocity. Any ML pitcher with a 90+ fastball aimed at someone's head is going to do a great deal of damage. He has every right to come up and in as any other pitcher. He doesn't get to avoid the inside of the plate because he might get too tight and hurt someone.

BTW, I do not think Chapman was throwing at his head. I don't know if he was wanting to come inside, which he is allowed to do and it sailed, but with his control always pitch by pitch, it is hard for me to tell. I would guess if he aimed at his head, it probably would have been down the middle of the plate. It is just as hard for anyone claiming to know what he was trying or not trying to do to support their argument.

Also, Dusty had his back in the postgame and made light of it, which I tend to agree with his lighthearted reasoning.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    The thing I'm trying to figure out is why everyone is so outraged because of Chapman's velocity. Any ML pitcher with a 90+ fastball aimed at someone's head is going to do a great deal of damage. He has every right to come up and in as any other pitcher. He doesn't get to avoid the inside of the plate because he might get too tight and hurt someone.

BTW, I do not think Chapman was throwing at his head. I don't know if he was wanting to come inside, which he is allowed to do and it sailed, but with his control always pitch by pitch, it is hard for me to tell. I would guess if he aimed at his head, it probably would have been down the middle of the plate. It is just as hard for anyone claiming to know what he was trying or not trying to do to support their argument.

Also, Dusty had his back in the postgame and made light of it, which I tend to agree with his lighthearted reasoning.
    Has anyone argued that Chapman is not allowed to pitch to the inside of the plate?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

False fan bluster (and no one who has won at a high level is fine with a pitcher trying to bean a hitter....do it and get thrown out of he game....do it and it might start a brawl).
    Watch today's game and you will probly see how fine everyone on Cleveland's side is with it, then the Reds side will be fine with it next...LOL

Has anyone argued that Chapman is not allowed to pitch to the inside of the plate?
    Notice I specified "up and in," which is quite a bit different than "inside of the plate," wouldn't you say? That is exactly what the entire argument is about, especially since it is anyone's guess with the actual intent. It isn't like the only two options are "throwing at head" and "not throwing at head."

Feel free to address what I actually was saying rather than attempting to be arrogantly dismissive.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Notice I specified "up and in," which is quite a bit different than "inside of the plate," wouldn't you say? That is exactly what the entire argument is about, especially since it is anyone's guess with the actual intent. It isn't like the only two options are "throwing at head" and "not throwing at head."

Feel free to address what I actually was saying rather than attempting to be arrogantly dismissive.
    He can throw anywhere he wants legitimately as long as it's not at a guy. If your definition of "up and in" is at a guys head (the actual argument being had), then no he can't throw there. Feel free to clarify your meaning instead of spouting metacommentary. Are you addressing the actual argument or are you adding another dimension?
    Last edited by jojo; 05-28-2013 at 10:56 AM.

He can throw anywhere he wants legitimately as long as it's not at a guy. If your definition of "up and in" is at a guys head (the actual argument being had), then no he can't throw there. Feel free to clarify your meaning instead of spouting metacommentary. Are you addressing the actual argument or are you adding another dimension?
    Pass.

None of which happened. More astute commentary on your part.

None of which happened. More astute commentary on your part.
    Chapman didn't throw at anyone. Does flaccid snark go hand in hand with false fan bluster?

Does the obvious need stated that throwing high doesn't mean someone is going at the head? You can be aiming for the upper torso and accomplish a similar psychological reaction from the hitter to brush someone back... which is, after all, the point of a brushback pitch.

It's pretty narrow to assume that everytime someone is perceived to be intentionally throwing up and in, they're head-hunting.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

15. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (05-30-2013)

Chapman didn't throw at anyone. Does flaccid snark go hand in hand with false fan bluster?
    You pontificated he was trying to bean a batter. You do not possess the aptitude to know that for certain. So, in spite of your bloviating and mastery of the thesaurus, you're still woefully wrong on this one.

Words are fun.

You pontificated he was trying to bean a batter. You do not possess the aptitude to know that for certain. So, in spite of your bloviating and mastery of the thesaurus, you're still woefully wrong on this one.

Words are fun.
    Please reread the thread for content. Words ARE fun but reading for comprehension IS funner.

Turn Off Ads?