Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: If you could only keep one of either Leake or Bailey......

"So Fla Red"

Re: If you could only keep one of either Leake or Bailey......

Homer is a year closer to FA so the decision needs to be made quickly on trying to extend him now. He is getting expensive, very quickly...

I'm on record of being on board with Leake if the Reds can get him to a very reasonable contract to buy out years 1-2 of FA in 2016 and/or 2017. Probably a year early on this decision for Leake, but thinking they might be able to get a club friendly deal for '16 and '17 in exchange for guaranteed money. Poor roster management last year when he went to Louisville and was called up early caused Leake's FA year to move up from 2017 to 2016. I just think he will be a solid #3 kind of guy, durable, great D and offense, efficient PA/IP with occassional (but not unrealistic) upside to outduel a Matt Cain or RA Dickey when needed with a gem.

Leake as a #5 going forward for the Reds staff (worst case) would not be a bad floor for the rotation. Assuming Cueto, Latos anchor the top.
    Last edited by oregonred; 08-21-2012 at 11:12 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I guess I'm really not that worried about Homer's salary.
    His inconsistent performance doesn't really give him a lot of ammo for arbitration.
    Career: 4.71 ERA. This year, 4.18..
    This isn't putting Homer down, but I can't see him getting more than 1 or 1.5 million raise next year.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Actually I expect to see both of them back next year. The interesting question still will be where Chapman is used, rotation or pen. I don't see either Bailey or Leake--especially Leake--being valuable enough to be the center of a package for a real offensive difference maker. And I think Walt's far too aware of the value of starting pitching to deal either one of them for anything less.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    So if I'm following this thread correctly we're all going to say Homer now, right?
    Hey! I'm a fan and I reserve the right to change my vote on a daily basis.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

How much of a help was it for Homer having Hannigan catching him for a game?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    I wondered that too. I noticed last year the few times Hanigan caught Volquez he seemed better. Maybe just a coincidence?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Senor Votto

I was thinking the same thing. Is Hanigan THAT much better at handling pitchers than Mes?

Resident PED Expert

I haven't read the whole thread, and maybe it's been brought up before, but to me Homer has Kyle Loshe syndrome.

Great arm, good arsenal of pitches but something isn't quite clicking...

I just know one day, just like Loshe, it will. So I have to place my chips on him.

I like Leake alot also. But IMO he is Arroyo at best in his prime. Which would be great. But he could Scott Scudder in Leake clothing at his worst.

There is great value in moving him to a prospect rich Mid Market team, with limited payroll for a couple really good prospects when you have Chapman, Corcino, Cingrani and Stephenson in the wings.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Both Homer and Price said they'd corrected a problem in his delivery. Although I think Hanigan calls a better game than Mesoraco at this point in their careers, I don't think that was responsible for the difference in Homer's performance.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    I haven't read the whole thread, and maybe it's been brought up before, but to me Homer has Kyle Loshe syndrome.

Great arm, good arsenal of pitches but something isn't quite clicking...

I just know one day, just like Loshe, it will. So I have to place my chips on him.

I like Leake alot also. But IMO he is Arroyo at best in his prime. Which would be great. But he could Scott Scudder in Leake clothing at his worst.

There is great value in moving him to a prospect rich Mid Market team, with limited payroll for a couple really good prospects when you have Chapman, Corcino, Cingrani and Stephenson in the wings.
    I'd be careful with that phrase...
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion View Post
    Both Homer and Price said they'd corrected a problem in his delivery. Although I think Hanigan calls a better game than Mesoraco at this point in their careers, I don't think that was responsible for the difference in Homer's performance.
    Yeah, I heard that as well. I agree, the work with Price had more to do with it then anything. But I also feel he may have benefited from having Hanny back there for a game.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion View Post
    Right. Homer has multiple starts just like the last one, or better, with Mesoraco behind the plate this season.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    I'd be careful with that phrase...
    Lol...

2 great starts by Leake out of 3 late in the season at a very young age, he's an enigma, or another Arroyo, and I like Arroyo types...rotation cement that can give you an 8 inning gem twice a month, and bounce back from a bad start with flying colors 5 days later routinely.

It is nice having Homer and Leake at the back end of the rotation right now.

Yet I get the feeling Leake is capable of frustrating just about any team's lineup in the post season on a good night, and do it without a lot of stress.

The unfortunate thing is the debate about "Leake or Homer" is a pointless, polarizing exercise. It's truthfully not even one that's necessary at this time (although it might be next season if Chapman goes back to the rotation). It's really a dividing topic, and I think it stems from the fact that, for some reason, we feel the need to tear someone else down in order to build someone up.

Funniest part about it is that 90% of Major League teams would be thrilled to have Leake/Homer as their 4/5 starters (or 5/4 depending on your viewpoint). That we're even having this debate says a lot about where the Reds have come. It sure beats the heck out of Jimmy Haynes and Jeff Austin, Seth Etherton, Elizardo Ramirez, etc.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?