39 37.14%
  • D-Need improvement, quick

38 36.19%
  • F-Fire him yesterday before signing WT

4 3.81%
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Walt Jocketty Poll Time

Re: Walt Jocketty Poll Time

I gave him an D. All he had to do was not replace our crappy players with more crappy players. That's all. It's not that I think the season hinges on Willie Tavares and Ramon Hernandez. I think it hinges on the middle of the order and the starting pitching. But he's basically replaced two .350 OBP guys in the lineup (Freel and Hanigan) with two .320 OBP guys. If these are indicators of the kind of moves he's going to be making in the future, it could easily become an F.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I'd have to say C at best if I look at it from an unbiased perspective. If I do the opposite then there is no "C" there is only A or bust and in that regard he's a bust.

I'm not so sure I feel all that comfortable judging him though because there is no way to judge him completely fairly. He has someone to answer and so far the lip service from ownership has not matched up to the actions made by either of his GM's. So what's the problem? I hardly doubt 2 different GM's have purposely ignored his pleas for the losing to stop now. Or that they were both too incompetent to get the job done. What I am starting to see is an owner who is one clever salesman who has now hired a competent gm in terms of managing expectations. Walt gives us enough info to let us believe we are on the right track but tempers expectations with convenient and even somewhat logical excuses. So that when he carries out their actual plan he can blame it on something other than intent without completely losing his credibility.

Wayne's biggest mistake seems more apparent than ever, he didn't allow for us to believe in immediate contention because he didn't believe it. Walt doesn't believe it either but understands how important it is to create the illusion that they are trying. Krivskys style be it difficult to follow was in retrospect a lot less cruel and unusual at least.
    Excellent post.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

I gave him a D.

Whether Castellini deserves the D more than Walt is up for debate. I think they both deserve a D as of right now.

I'm really disappointed right now with the Reds. I am generally very optimistic about the team and I believe this team WAS not far from being a playoff team. I thought they should've traded Homer for Dye. Then spend some money on Lowe. Those 2 moves alone would've made the team a decent contender.

Now, we're looking at Taveras, Bruce, and Hairston/Dickerson in the outfield. You've got to be kidding me? How does Walt even make that comment? He better be lying.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

I gave Walt a D. I would have given him a B or C or - preferably - incomplete, but the Taveras signing is the first move I can really, fairly judge him on. And it is abysmal.

I think Redhook is right and Castellini may be the bigger problem. You simply cannot be the GM of this team if you only have 2 years to turn them into a winner lest you be fired.

Grading a man in the middle of his first off season is Reds fan manna, it's not only unfair to him, but to the organic nature involved in making a team into your idea of what it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    In fairness, GAC, whether the market lined up or not, I would have expected Jock to NOT bring in one of the worst players in baseball to "fill a need". The phrase that keeps running through my head is "first do no harm". Fail.

Even if they bagel'd on the FA market and came up small, this team is better off rolling the dice with Dickerson. I still can't fathom why the Reds have bought into a player who, if everything breaks right, OPS's way up at .720 or so. I mean, it boggles the mind.
    I agree to a point with what you're saying, but we have not only some dire needs but holes that HAD to be filled. There was no option of simply doing nothing. Prior to Willy, what was our set (starting) OF? Bruce and a possible question mark in Dickerson? Who else?

And I've definitely not defended the Taveras signing. Can I be the first to coin the phrase "He gives me the Willys".

He had to do something at this stage. He couldn't simply stand pat on nothing, meaning, we currently don't have anyone near ready in our system to fill that gaping hole in our OF.

When I look at those OF FAs that are available - and not too many other teams are dashing after these guys either - other then Baldelli, not too much stands out to me, other then either a bunch of over-the-hill aging vets, or high priced players wanting the moon and the stars.

On the other thread some are throwing out Edmonds name.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Grading a man in the middle of his first off season is Reds fan manna, it's not only unfair to him, but to the organic nature involved in making a team into your idea of what it should be.
    I agree. The roster's a work-in-progress, and Walt hasn't finished his semester yet. The final exam for this semester is scheduled for the day pitchers and catchers report. Let's wait and see what grade he gets on the final before we give him his semester grade.
    /r/reds

Some credit for getting some people for Griffey and Dunn because both wouldn't be here anyways. He hasn't made that big move yet this year, but seems focused on defense and more small ball and vet leadership at catcher. Just not sure how thing will go yet

While the Tavaras move is unmitigated stink-pile, it's way to early to be pronouncing a judgement.

I can give him a grade of "hasn't done anything to excite me" thus far but it doesn't mean much.

Give him a review for the offseason when the offseason is actually over.

Absolute A. He is doing just exactly what I had hoped: not compromising the team's 2010 and beyond possibilities for the illusion of competitiveness in 2009. Couldn't ask him to do something harder and he's doing it beautifully. We'll get a .500 team for 2009, one good enough defensively to allow the young pitchers to get to where they need to be by the end of the year. Then 2010 we add what we need and we are going to be right there--with five not just promising but accomplished starting pitchers.

he got the White Sox to pay 1/2 of Jr's 2008 salary & 1/2 his buyout.

Dunn was a goner as BC wasn't going to pay him. not only did he get three players who may have a major league career he got the DBacks to pay 1/2 of Dunn's salary.

the Freel trade was a GREAT trade for the Reds.

His #1 pick in the 2008 draft seems on the fast track to the bigs.

Yet he gets a "C" or "D" from most because he signs Taveras.

Actaully my only complaint about Walt is bringing Weathers back.

I think Walt's doing a fine job with the constraints placed on him by B.>

A buddy of mine is a Cardinals fan, and he seemed dumbfounded when I told him that much of RedsZone is up in arms about Walt Jocketty. He has a very high opinion of Jocketty, and said that, "Walt is a bargain shopper. Just because he hasn't made a big acquisition yet, doesn't mean he can't or isn't going to make one. He is waiting for the moment when the market is most favorable." My buddy is convinced that Walt will pick up a middle-of-the-order bat for the Reds, and he will do it more cheaply than anyone would expect.

As for Willy Taveras, I'm not concerned about him. He is basically the second coming of Brian L. Hunter. Every now and then, you get infatuated with the speed. (I think I am one of the few RedsZoners who actually liked Deion Sanders.) Either he comes through and has a decent year, or he flops--in which case he will almost invariably find his way to the bench. Guys like Willy Taveras, Brian L. Hunter, Deion Sanders, Chuckie Carr, and Curtis Goodwin have always been like the "summer flings" of baseball--there isn't much substance to them, but if you catch them at the right time, when they are going well, it can be quite enjoyable and "fun while it lasts". (Just don't fall in love with them.)
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

A lot of people here seem to be ready to give up on the Reds but I believe I'm about to give up on this board.

Walt has made a couple of moves and there's a poll option for FIRING the man?? Geez, people.

Krivsky was ripped because he lacked experience. People here wanted Jocketty. Well, now you got Jocketty, a GM who's proven that he can build a World Series Champion, and people are ready to group him with Bowden and Krivsky after a couple of moves. For crying out loud, I don't believe any GM can make people here happy. If you want to root for a team with tons of cash that gets the top names, become a Yankees fan.

I want the Reds to become a winning franchise again as much as the next guy. I just believe Jocketty has tons more experience in building that franchise than probably everyone here. He has scouts, we have the internet. He has contacts, we have rumors. He has first-hand experience, we have experience with Fantasy leagues.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    Walt has made a couple of moves and there's a poll option for FIRING the man?? Geez, people.

Well, to be fair, there's an option for him doing an "amazing" job too.

"F" needs to be the end of the line, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Well, to be fair, there's an option for him doing an "amazing" job too.

"F" needs to be the end of the line, right?
    My rant is that there's even an OPTION for firing the man before Spring Training.

We're not talking about a novice to the game. He's built a winner before but, to fans here, a couple of questionable moves completely wipes out his prior success.

Turn Off Ads?