Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Look what I found in the driveway

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Look what I found in the driveway

I found this little guy in our driveway, abandoned by its mother, very weak and sickly, Sunday afternoon. I brought him in, took him to a vet Monday to treat a nasty eye infection, and we've been taking care of him since. He still can't eat solid food yet, so we're still bottle feeding him and trying to introduce him to solid food and teach him how to use a litter box. It's been interesting to say the least, but there's progress. He went from hissing at us on the first day to following us all over the house and crying if we leave him alone too long.

The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

2. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (05-24-2013),camisadelgolf (05-26-2013),foxfire123 (05-24-2013),HeatherC1212 (05-28-2013),IslandRed (05-24-2013),mdccclxix (05-30-2013),New York Red (05-29-2013),RedFanAlways1966 (05-23-2013),remdog (05-24-2013),Revering4Blue (05-26-2013),RichRed (05-24-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Look what I found in the driveway

Wow. that may be the first adorable rat I have ever seen

You are a good man ORH, give him the best you can and he'll give back

Awwwwwwwww ....... hope he makes it, ORH. You big sweetheart. All our critters have found us and not the other way around.

We have a male cat that's been hanging out all winter. We built him a shelter out back. He finally let us touch him this spring but most of the time will only get within 10 feet. We're working on being able to pick him up but I think it will take awhile. I told my roommate that we'll have to make him work for his food a little harder .... sort of a Dances with Wolves thing. I think we should only feed him what he'll take from our hand ..... some tough love to make him work through his fear. We'll see. We aren't good at tough love in this house when it comes to animals.

7. Likes:

remdog (05-24-2013)

He's getting healthier and becoming more energetic, but still no solid food, and he's also craving affection constantly. I have no doubt he's well on the way to a clean bill of health. Still working on the litter though. About half the time he makes it there and the other half...so far it's been when my wife is gone or in another part of the house and I've gotten it cleaned up before she noticed. Hardwood floors make that easy.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

9. Likes:

remdog (05-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    Awwwwwwwww ....... hope he makes it, ORH. You big sweetheart. All our critters have found us and not the other way around.

We have a male cat that's been hanging out all winter. We built him a shelter out back. He finally let us touch him this spring but most of the time will only get within 10 feet. We're working on being able to pick him up but I think it will take awhile. I told my roommate that we'll have to make him work for his food a little harder .... sort of a Dances with Wolves thing. I think we should only feed him what he'll take from our hand ..... some tough love to make him work through his fear. We'll see. We aren't good at tough love in this house when it comes to animals.
    Same here, our cat (KC) is a stray that hung around... Fed two males who look like twins over the winter. They're getting a little more friendlier but still skittish. Encouraging sign is the vocalization and at least one seems a little more submissive (purring and rolling on the ground).
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

11. Likes:

remdog (05-24-2013)

Very nice thing ORH. It would be really easy just to take it to the shelter. You will have a friend for life with him. It takes a little bit to get them litter trained. Just keep setting them in it and they will figure it out. Congrats on your new adoption!
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Good for you, ORH, I'm a big fan of those little furballs. We have two of our own whose mother was pregnant when she was rescued by a friend of ours.

The real question is, which Reds player will you name him after?
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Bringing home strange.....never mind, that things too cute for lewd commentary.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Coincidentally, I found an abandoned baby animal in my driveway yesterday, too.

It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

16. Likes:

TeamCasey (05-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Good for you, ORH, I'm a big fan of those little furballs. We have two of our own whose mother was pregnant when she was rescued by a friend of ours.

The real question is, which Reds player will you name him after?
    AWWW! New pictures please!

On a tangent, I'm not longer allowed to name horses after Reds players. I named one Griffey, the real Griffey gets hurt... Named one Larkin, Larkin got hurt. The final straw for hubby was when I named a horse Everyday Eddie, the very next day, Guardado gets hurt and had to have tommy john.... Not allowed to use Reds players until they're either no longer Reds, or retired. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Coincidentally, I found an abandoned baby animal in my driveway yesterday, too.

You're going to need a bigger house.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

A big deposit at the karma bank, ORH.

She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

20. Likes:

TeamCasey (05-27-2013)

Well, the little guy gave up the ghost this morning, sometime between 6:00 and 7:00 am. At 6:00 I heard him meowing and I went over and he was sitting outside the litter box where he had just done his business. I picked him up and held him until he calmed down and then put him back in his bed. I woke up at 7:00 and he had passed in his sleep.

I'm not sure what did him in. He was eating more and getting more active each day and then he just expired in his sleep. I take some comfort in knowing that we gave him a much better life for the last week than he would have had if we hadn't found him, but it doesn't make it any easier. He had grown quite attached to me, and me to him. This is a rough day.

22. Likes:

TeamCasey (05-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Well, the little guy gave up the ghost this morning, sometime between 6:00 and 7:00 am. At 6:00 I heard him meowing and I went over and he was sitting outside the litter box where he had just done his business. I picked him up and held him until he calmed down and then put him back in his bed. I woke up at 7:00 and he had passed in his sleep.

I'm not sure what did him in. He was eating more and getting more active each day and then he just expired in his sleep. I take some comfort in knowing that we gave him a much better life for the last week than he would have had if we hadn't found him, but it doesn't make it any easier. He had grown quite attached to me, and me to him. This is a rough day.
    So sorry to hear that ending. He sure looked like a keeper.

I feel for you...

24. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (05-27-2013),Revering4Blue (05-26-2013)

Turn Off Ads?