Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greater Fenway Park

Greater Fenway Park

I took my two older sons to yesterday's Reds-Red Sox game. We sat in section 145 of the sun deck. Kevin Youkillis's 10th inning HR landed within a few feet of where we were seated.
    I estimate that about two-thirds of the fans in our section were Red Sox fans. I had a nice chat throughout the game with a Bosox fan from the Boston area who had flow into Cincinnati for all three games of the series. He was a nice guy and was extremely impressed by GABP.
    It was still odd to feel as if I was visiting an opponent's ballpark. The Red Sox fans were very vocal. They weren't obnoxious, but the cheeing for the Sox downed out the support for the Reds. I tend to be a silently intent fan rather than being real vocal during a game, but I still was almost embarassed to see an opponent's fan base "take over" the Reds home field.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Greater Fenway Park

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I took my two older sons to yesterday's Reds-Red Sox game. We sat in section 145 of the sun deck. Kevin Youkillis's 10th inning HR landed within a few feet of where we were seated.
    I estimate that about two-thirds of the fans in our section were Red Sox fans. I had a nice chat throughout the game with a Bosox fan from the Boston area who had flow into Cincinnati for all three games of the series. He was a nice guy and was extremely impressed by GABP.
    It was still odd to feel as if I was visiting an opponent's ballpark. The Red Sox fans were very vocal. They weren't obnoxious, but the cheeing for the Sox downed out the support for the Reds. I tend to be a silently intent fan rather than being real vocal during a game, but I still was almost embarassed to see an opponent's fan base "take over" the Reds home field.
    Its disgusting if you ask me...but it probably is like that many places the Red Sox play. I can somewhat live with the fact that when a team with easily one of the top 3 national fan bases visits Cincinnati for the only time in six years (and first time in 30) that they have a high fan turnout. I can't live with the fact that it happens every 2 months when the Cubs come to town.

But...the extent to which it is occuring is ridiculous. The front office did drop the ball on this...after months of hard to get tickets they suddenly have thousands of seats for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    That's been my experience over the years with just about all opposing teams fans. Most root like crazy for their team, but aren't generally obnoxious or overly arrogant. They keep persepctive that they're in the opposing team's place. The exception is Cubs fans. Only fan base I've ever come across that are markedly different in my experience.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    That's been my experience over the years with just about all opposing teams fans. Most root like crazy for their team, but aren't generally obnoxious or overly arrogant. They keep persepctive that they're in the opposing team's place. The exception is Cubs fans. Only fan base I've ever come across that are markedly different in my experience.
    And Atlanta fans, when their team was in its prime.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Red Sox fans also take over Oakland's park and Seattle's when they are in town, they are a BIG market team (as are the Cubs and Yankees) they have fans galore, all over the place. they come out to see their teams play at other parks... and the Reds best attendance year was when "Philadelphia Freedom" was a big hit.

That's a telling fact of the real state of fandom in Cincinnati.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    And Atlanta fans, when their team was in its prime.
    I've had problems with Cardinals fans, too.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

It just blew my mind how many Sox fans were there. I mean seriously, how do they have this many fans in this area? I would understand if we were clsoer to the northeast, but really it must just be a fad. I mean I saw a family that had on gray Red Sox jerseys with full pants and cleats and instead of a last name on the back of the jersey, it said Chemistry. I was so happy when EE hit that homer and all the Reds fans went nuts (louder than Youlklis's home run), and I just wanted to shut them up so bad. I really think their fan base really does help their team. Hearing those cheers really has to pump you up.

I talked to a few Bosox fans who stated that its cheaper to fly/drive to Cincy and catch 2-3 games than it would be to try to get tickets to Fenway. Sad that they can't catch a game in their home park. Even sadder that we can't support our team the way they do.

The Red Sox are and ESPN-contrived entity. The Cubs are a WGN-contrived entity. The Braves are a TBS-contrived entity. The Yankees are a magnet for front-running fans who probably latch onto any elite winner - Dallas Cowboys, L.A. Lakers, Duke basketball.

ESPN got exactly what it set out to do - create a national team (Red Sox) to rival another established national team (Yankees). Big national teams in major markets are easier to sell to the populace than relatively regional draws like the Reds, Pirates, Rockies, Mariners, etc.

Pro sports is becoming lamer by the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    ESPN got exactly what it set out to do - create a national team (Red Sox) to rival another established national team (Yankees). Big national teams in major markets are easier to sell to the populace than relatively regional draws like the Reds, Pirates, Rockies, Mariners, etc.
    Just curious... why does ESPN care which team a majority of fans cheer for?

And why are the Yankees considered a national team? And why would they want to "create" the BoSox into same? ESPN certainly can't be credited for creating the NY/Boston rivalry as they've been heated rivals for as far back as I can remember... I used to go to those games when I lived in NY and they were NASTY!

It seems that if ESPN did indeed set out to create this national (?) team, they could have picked any team... even a regional one. With enough exposure on ESPN, I would think any team could become "national". Though I still don't understand how this benefits ESPN to do so.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
    I talked to a few Bosox fans who stated that its cheaper to fly/drive to Cincy and catch 2-3 games than it would be to try to get tickets to Fenway. Sad that they can't catch a game in their home park. Even sadder that we can't support our team the way they do.
    It's easy to support a winner. Takes no effort at all. I laughed after the last WS win when several people I know donned their Red Sox hats and swore allegiance.

OTOH, it's very difficult to support a team that hasn't had a winning team since 2000. I don't like it, but I understand. If Jocketty doesn't turn this team around in the next couple of years, baseball might be dead in Cincinnati. Notice that the much maligned Pirates are in front of us and playing well. That's a lesson for Reds fans and the FO. When you put an inferior product on the field, folks will avoid going like the plague. In this society where winning means eveything, you can't get fannies in the seats if you lose. As much hope as there seems to be over Volquez, Harang, Bruce, etc., the truth remains that until this franchise puts a winner on the field, folks will always have the opposition taking over GABP. That's something that has been lost on most everyone .
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    Just curious... why does ESPN care which team a majority of fans cheer for?
    They want to cater to the most people possible. Better ratings/more viewers equal better advertising dollars. It's all business, really.

I have a cousin who lives in Boston. Last season before the baseball season got started she called me and said she got 4 tickets to Fenway and asked if I would want to go. I took her up on that and went to the game. It was on the last week of the season and we were as far away in deep CF as you could get. She got the tickets on the very first day they went on sale. Its just so hard to get tickets in Boston and if you do you pay and arm and a leg.

The Red Sox aren't a product of ESPN. They are a product of a large city with one of the top two greatest ball parks. They are a product of the people hating the yankees and also a product of building a very likeable team. Their first championship team they all shaved their heads, took a shot of jack before each game, and called themselves a bunch of idiots. In all reality they are a very easy team to root for.

I wish Bob Cast would take a look at the way the Red Sox are built and they way they play the game and mimick them. They are able to spend a lot of cash on players but they have one of the best farm systems in the game and are very good at developing players.

Sorry you were stuck with all of the out there Reds Baron. I was down the first base line and when the chanting starting it was immediately drowned out with boos from the home town teams fans.

There were too many Red Sox fans there, and I'd wager 2/3s of those Sox fans in attendance were bandwagoners. I saw a few Yaz shirts, and a Williams shirt, but it was mostly new guys.

I don't doubt they have a great fan base in Boston and across the country, but I do doubt all these people are actually big time fans. Most just latch on to whomever the most recent 'cool' team to root for is. Right now its the Sox.

It'll pass eventually. All teams do.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Fans who are willing to buy plane tickets to see their favorite team play are likely to be among the most enthusiastic in that team's fan base. As for the ones who are within driving distance of Cincinnati, it's a unique event for them to be able to see their team close to home, and therefore they're going to be pumped up, as well.

A game at GAB for Reds fans is just one of 81 that occur every year. It's kinda hard to approach it with the energy and enthusiasm that the opponents' fans do, especially when the home team has been as bad as it has for so long.

Responsibility for GAB becoming a sold-out home field advantage for the home team lies with the franchise, not with the fans.

Turn Off Ads?