Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #6 prospect?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brad Boxberger

1 0.83%
  • Zack Cozart

1 0.83%
  • Danny Dorn

2 1.67%
  • Juan Duran

0 0%
  • Matt Fairel

0 0%
  • Josh Fellhauer

0 0%
  • Billy Hamilton

1 0.83%
  • Chris Heisey

39 32.50%
  • Donnie Joseph

0 0%
  • Matt Klinker

0 0%
  • Matt Maloney

3 2.50%
  • Devin Mesoraco

0 0%
  • Mark Serrano

0 0%
  • Neftali Soto

1 0.83%
  • Juan Carlos Sulbaran

1 0.83%
  • Chris Valaika

1 0.83%
  • Travis Wood

69 57.50%
  • other - name him

1 0.83%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #6 prospect?

Re: Who is Redszone's #6 prospect?

I know Wood had a great year, but as a future prospect, I think this is quite high for him. I don't believe he even made BA's top thirty Reds prospects last year. He's apparently a guy who relies on a change up and, while he is clearly skilled and advanced for his age, he doesn't seem like a projectable type pitcher.

For me, this is between Heisey and Cozart. I think it's pretty close. I didn't view Heisey as top five, but he is on the cusp of the major leagues and fits nicely in the six spot.

I would probably have Heisey at six, then Cozart, then Neftali Soto. I'd then consider Wood with Maloney and Mesoraco for nine and ten.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-28-2009 at 07:29 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Heisey is my favorite minor league player. I like him as a #2 hitter, a weakness for the Reds last year. Stubbs/Heisey leading off gives the Reds a good OBP, a little pop, base stealing, and a good way to set up Votto, Phillips, Bruce, and Rolen. Dickerson can get some playing time in center or left. Gomes can get some time in right and PH. The Reds would have excellent defense and a good bench. The offense would put much more pressure on opposing pitchers. With such a top of the order, the Reds could probably live with Janish batting 8th.

I think the fifth outfield spot next spring will come down to Heisey or Balentien. I agree that an outfielder could be moved for a SS or C.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I know Wood had a great year, but as a future prospect, I think this is quite high for him. I don't believe he even made BA's top thirty Reds prospects last year. He's apparently a guy who relies on a change up and, while he is clearly skilled and advanced for his age, he doesn't seem like a projectable type pitcher.
    I think you're selling Wood a bit short, as his AA season wasn't just great, but dominant. He was the best pitcher in the minor leagues for more than half a year. He's also young for both AA and AAA and has a history of very solid K rates (career 8.3).

Give him another year in AAA and he may just surprise you. Certainly, IMO, at this point, he's a much better prospect than anyone not named Chris Heisey.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I think you're selling Wood a bit short, as his AA season wasn't just great, but dominant. He was the best pitcher in the minor leagues for more than half a year. He's also young for both AA and AAA and has a history of very solid K rates (career 8.3).

Give him another year in AAA and he may just surprise you. Certainly, IMO, at this point, he's a much better prospect than anyone not named Chris Heisey.
    I agree with you up until the part that he is a much better prospect than anyone not named Chris Heisey.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I'm not sold on Heisey as much as others, so I went with the safe choice, which I felt was Travis Wood.
    I'm not sold on Wood as much as others, so I went with the safe choice, which I felt was Chris Heisey.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

For me, this is between Heisey and Cozart. I think it's pretty close. I didn't view Heisey as top five, but he is on the cusp of the major leagues and fits nicely in the six spot.

I would probably have Heisey at six, then Cozart, then Neftali Soto. I'd then consider Wood with Maloney and Mesoraco for nine and ten.
    I'm similar, my list goes Heisey (who I had at 4), Cozart, Wood, Soto, Maloney at this point. Fairel, Valaika and Dorn are the next group.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Cozart's career minor league OPS: 746

Cozart may be a much-needed prospect, but, to this point, he's less of a prospect than Chris Valaika was.

I might even take Valaika over Cozart at this point. He's just not all that good, IMO.

And he's another rung below not only Wood and Heisey at 6 & 7, but he's also below Soto (who has tools, at least), and about even, IMO, with Dorn and Maloney and that group.

Cozart's career minor league OPS: 746

Cozart may be a much-needed prospect, but, to this point, he's less of a prospect than Chris Valaika was.

I might even take Valaika over Cozart at this point. He's just not all that good, IMO.

And he's another rung below not only Wood and Heisey at 6 & 7, but he's also below Soto (who has tools, at least), and about even, IMO, with Dorn and Maloney and that group.
    But Cozart is reputedly a very good defender and a true shortstop. That seems very important to me. That's why I rank him above Valaika and most of the others you mention.

But this is supposed to be your #6 prospect, KC. Is a no-hit, good-glove SS really that high on the list or is it that he's needed so badly that posters are overrating him?

I obviously think it's the latter.

But this is supposed to be your #6 prospect, KC. Is a no-hit, good-glove SS really that high on the list or is it that he's needed so badly that posters are overrating him?

Heisey is my six, Cozart would be seven. It's not because of Reds need. It's just value.

So many young shortstops have to move to other positions. It's more unusual to find a shortstop who can stick at the position and hit fairly well.

I don't think Cozart is a no-hit guy. I view him as a good fielding true shortstop who will hit well enough to start. That type player has a lot of value.

His glove makes him a potential long term starter at the position in the mold of Alex Gonzalez. I considered Cozart as high as number 3. I think beyond Alonso, Cozart is the most likely position player to be a day in, day out starter in the major leagues. Having a position is important. Ability to play a premium position is even more important. Others may have better numbers, but guys like Francisco, Frazier, Valaika and Soto may never find a position that their bats can justify as a starter. There are no such questions with Cozart. On my personal list he is 7th behind Alonso, Leake, FRazier, Heisey, Francisco and Yorman, but after Leake, I really can't argue with the order of the next 5 and I think there is a big drop after the 7 spot.

Boxberger and Maloney get no respect but (barring injury) they are good bets to be starters in the majors for years to come. That definitely merits top 10 status in this organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Boxberger and Maloney get no respect but (barring injury) they are good bets to be starters in the majors for years to come. That definitely merits top 10 status in this organization.
    From what I've read on here about Boxberger's stuff, you may be right about him. I just don't know enough about him to rank him this high. I'm still a skeptic on Maloney, but I like him better now than I did in the summer.

Cozart's OPS in the last two seasons, High A and AA, were .787 and .758. Not exactly ARod, but those are respectable numbers for a shortstop. He just turned 24, so he has a full season of AAA to continue to get ready.

He had a .360 OBP this year, also a good sign.

Not a world beater at the plate, but let's not underrate the guy. Off to a good start in the Arizona Fall League too.

Janish OPSed 776 in High A once upon a time too.

Just sayin'.

Turn Off Ads?