Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #18 prospect?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • RHP James Allen

0 0%
  • C Tucker Barnhart

12 21.43%
  • RHP Alejandro Chacin

0 0%
  • RHP Drew Cisco

0 0%
  • RHP Tim Crabbe

4 7.14%
  • UT Brodie Greene

0 0%
  • OF Ryan LaMarre

3 5.36%
  • RHP Kyle Lotzkar

12 21.43%
  • 1B Donald Lutz

3 5.36%
  • OF Denis Phipps

4 7.14%
  • RHP Dan Renken

1 1.79%
  • 3B Gabriel Rosa

8 14.29%
  • RHP J.C. Sulbaran

6 10.71%
  • 3B David Vidal

2 3.57%
  • 2B Ryan Wright

0 0%
  • other (please list below)

1 1.79%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #18 prospect?

Who is Redszone's #18 prospect?

#1 C Devin Mesoraco
    #2 1B/OF Yonder Alonso
    #3 C Yasmani Grandal
    #4 SS Billy Hamilton
    #5 SS Zack Cozart
    #6 RHP Dan Corcino
    #7 RHP Robert Stephenson
    #8 RHP Brad Boxberger
    #9 1B Neftali Soto
    #10 OF Yorman Rodriguez
    #11 2B Ron Torreyes
    #12 OF Dave Sappelt
    #13 UT Todd Frazier
    #14 SS Didi Gregorius
    #15 2B Henry Rodriguez
    #16 LHP Tony Cingrani
    #17 OF Juan Duran

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is Redszone's #18 prospect?

Tempted by Rosa and Wright, but I ended up going with Lotzkar. Despite yet another injury at the beginning of the season, he came back to put up some really good starts towards the end of the year, and that arm of gold seems to remain intact. He seems to be perpetually one good year away from rocketing up the prospect lists.

Can we have Smith and Buckley added going forward?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Still going with Grabriel Rosa. Reds 2nd round pick this year. Beautiful swing that has drawn some good comparisons. Good power projection.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Can we have Smith and Buckley added going forward?
    I've put in Buckley a few times, and he has yet to receive a vote. I'll continue to cycle him in, though. I'll add Josh Smith to the next one. Or did you mean Bryson Smith, the 34th round outfielder? He may have been old for the Pioneer League this year, but you have to admit that it's hard not to get excited about a guy OPSing 1.080, even if it's in a small sample size.

Would be very happy with either Rosa or Phipps here, but I've got to stick to Sulbaran until he's picked. To reiterate, I've got all three ahead of Duran and Cingrani on my list.

Went with Crabbe here...I just have a feeling that he takes a big step forward this year.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I've put in Buckley a few times, and he has yet to receive a vote. I'll continue to cycle him in, though. I'll add Josh Smith to the next one. Or did you mean Bryson Smith, the 34th round outfielder? He may have been old for the Pioneer League this year, but you have to admit that it's hard not to get excited about a guy OPSing 1.080, even if it's in a small sample size.
    It was Josh Smith that I was thinking of and I will vote for him before Buckley so if you want to hold back on Buckley for now that's okay with me.

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Went with Crabbe here...I just have a feeling that he takes a big step forward this year.
    Me too!
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    It was Josh Smith that I was thinking of and I will vote for him before Buckley so if you want to hold back on Buckley for now that's okay with me.
    I'm interested in seeing how Josh Smith fares here, particularly since I share his alma mater, but I'm not ready to vote for him yet. Intrigued, but not yet.

I do like Lotzkar and am going for him here.

Looks like I made a typo. I voted for Renken but intended to vote Rosa.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Looks like I made a typo. I voted for Renken but intended to vote Rosa.
    card laid card played.

touch move.

no takebacks.

Going Barnhart here. Outstanding defense. The bat is questionable and he's never likely to be a power bat, but his BB and K rates are solid as is his contact. I think his ceiling could be Yadier Molina. He's got a good shot of at least being Ryan Hannigan and that is a valuable player to have.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Going Barnhart here. Outstanding defense. The bat is questionable and he's never likely to be a power bat, but his BB and K rates are solid as is his contact. I think his ceiling could be Yadier Molina. He's got a good shot of at least being Ryan Hannigan and that is a valuable player to have.
    Yadier Molina seems like a great comp--for a ceiling, as you say. That brings me to a point that was made in the discussion of the last pick--that a guy like Duran has a lot more upside than Barnhart. That statement seems to be accepted as an obvious given, since Duran clearly has much, much, much more power. I guess people equate raw power with upside, which is understandable. But I don't see Duran's ceiling including good defense or decent contact skills. Seems to me like it's more on the order of Russell Branyan, or something between Branyan and Dunn. Is that a better player than Yadier Molina? Not in my book. I think we underestimate the ceiling of a guy who can be a Gold Glove catcher and hold his own at the plate.
    Last edited by mace; 12-06-2011 at 11:14 AM.

I'm picking David Vidal again, understanding that I'll likely be clicking his name for seven or eight days.

He's young for his level, hasn't yet struggled at all in limited minor league time, has a nice pedigree, and plays a tough position (apparently fairly well). He does have some hustle issues, but, after missing a playoff game, I'm guessing that will be a thing of the past.

In around a season's worth of MLB ABs, he's put up the following line: .276/.346/.487/.833. Over a 150-game average, he'd end up with 20+ homers, 40+ doubles, 50+ BBs, and 140 or so Ks.

I could certainly live with those numbers from my hot corner.

I also think Vidal is one of those prospects that would really be feted in another system, but gets overlooked when compared with others, especially in Dayton.

Turn Off Ads?