Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ACT Test

Re: ACT Test

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    Yes, it has essay answers.

Does anyone know how much advanced math/science is on it? It seems that the ACT emphasizes logical thinking over actually knowing advanced math/sci, but I'm curious. If it does have advanced material, I should be fine; as long as there's no calculus, which I haven't taken yet.

When I took the ACT back in 2001, there were three or four trigonometry questions and no calculus. You'll be fine in the math portion with a solid understanding of algebra.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    When I took the ACT back in 2001, there were three or four trigonometry questions and no calculus. You'll be fine in the math portion with a solid understanding of algebra.
    Yep, IIRC that's what my kids told me about the math. No FFTs or anything like that.

Having a solid vocabulary and good reading skills seemed to be paramount.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Also, there's always a question on the equation for a given ellipse. Bank on that one.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Actually, I'm still in 10th grade, which is one of my biggest concerns. If there's calculus or advanced physics...

Even the GRE general test doesn't have those kinds of questions on it, so don't worry.

Just relax and take the test. You'll be fine, don't overthink it.

I didn't prepare, didn't take any prep courses, and got a 25. Just rely on what you already know.

I'm taking one tomorrow. Any advice, tips, etc.?
    DON'T do what I did which is show up 10 minutes late and hungover.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Just relax and take the test. You'll be fine, don't overthink it.

I didn't prepare, didn't take any prep courses, and got a 25. Just rely on what you already know.
    Ya, I didn't get much sleep or eat breakfast before either. Not saying you shouldn't, but it can be conquered without. I think the best tips given so far are to move at a steady pace, answer every question, and read carefully.

And yeah, there's no advanced calc or physics. A little trig and chemistry, that's it...

Studies have proven that protein in the morning helps the memory. 4 ounces within an hour of getting up. You get about 4-5 hours on that. You can get back to peak performance with an additional amount of protein, though it can be as little as the amount in 8 ounces of milk. These studies were done in the 1920's and have been repeated since then with the same results.

Ha! I found my scores! Kept both the big sheets and the peel-off...

Date Tested: 04/77
    High School Grades: Eng: B; Math: B; Soc. S.: A; N. Sci: B
    Standard Scores: Eng/20 - Math/15 - Soc. S/28 - N. Sci/24 = Comp/22
    College Bound precentiles: Eng/64 - Math/34 - Soc. S/93 - N. Sci/68 = Comp/69

BTW, I hate MATH!
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Actually, I'm still in 10th grade, which is one of my biggest concerns.
    Good for you.

Listen to the advice already given (good night sleep, good breakfast, etc) and you'll do fine.

When you get your score back, remember that you've still got 2+ years to (1) learn more, (2) familiarize yourself with the test format, and (3) retake the test & shoot for a better score. Paying attention in school each day is definitely the best way to prepare for the test.

Like with anything else, practice makes perfect. Think I took the SAT a total of 5 times (starting in 7th grade) as well as the ACT twice.

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    Ha! I found my scores! Kept both the big sheets and the peel-off...

Date Tested: 04/77
    High School Grades: Eng: B; Math: B; Soc. S.: A; N. Sci: B
    Standard Scores: Eng/20 - Math/15 - Soc. S/28 - N. Sci/24 = Comp/22
    College Bound precentiles: Eng/64 - Math/34 - Soc. S/93 - N. Sci/68 = Comp/69

BTW, I hate MATH!
    I got the same comp as you did. I actually forgot something on the way to the test and had to drive back home to get it. I showed up about a half hour late and they weren't gonna let me take the test but I talked them into it. My nephew just took his and everyone but me was disappointed he got a 27.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

My son took it 3 times. 1st time 26, 2nd 30 and 3rd when he did essay included got 28. He ended up with full ride to TOSU.

I got a 32 my final time taking the test. It's really geared towards testing your 'verbal' ability and English skills and somewhat de-emphasizes Math (which is why I did as well as I did).

I recommend getting one of the computer study aids.

Well, just got back. Think I did well.
    Thanks for the tips.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

My advice (although late) is just to not worry about it. I took it in 10th grade just for practice (although it really was the test). I didn't place any pressure on myself and actually went out the night before and only got about 5 hours of sleep. I went in and got a 31 on it. I was disappointed on my non math/science portions of the test so I worked hard on english/reading type questions and took it again the next year. I did it all right, got plenty of sleep, ate a good breakfast, etc. I went in and did worse on math/science and much better on english/reading and actually scored worse. I think if you place less pressure on yourself you will do better. Especially as a sophomore you will have several more times to take it if you choose. Don't sweat your first try or two.

Turn Off Ads?